How Fast Is Your Internet?

What means latency?

My speed is lightening fast or "lightening" slow, depending on where I am.

latency is the time it takes to transmit that data. 700+ ms is very slow,

It's an insane latency for DSL. I've found one and only possible reason for the behavior of my connection. A-LINK RoadRunner 24. In several messageboards I've seen it referred as "the internet handbrake" or something similar.

I hate all of you! :p

However, this is the same connection in October:

Got rid of the a-link... Now I think there may be something fishy in the ISP's end. This is certainly not right, or the speed test is very unreliable.

Just got the phone company to repair the lines near my home - before I was only getting half of this! I think I will go to cable soon - I don't like how dsl is so dependent on these old phone lines.

Where do you live Steve? Cus I noticed you're in the Bay Area. Around here we dont get extremely fast internet, due to all the phone lines being extremely old.

Where do you live Steve? Cus I noticed you're in the Bay Area. Around here we dont get extremely fast internet, due to all the phone lines being extremely old.

I live in San Mateo. Like I said, I was getting about 1100-1400 download speed up til about a month ago. It was fine, but when it starting dropping down to about 500 on occasion, I called the dsl company and they actually got the phone company to come out to my street and replace a bunch of the wiring. Now I am cruising. It is supposed to be 3000kb/s, but I am about 11,500 cable feet from the central office so I lose a bit. What city do you live in?

Cupertino. I have the same problem here, Im supposted to get 6 mbp/s but i can maybe get 2 at max

Right now I have some 2k down and 500 up

But, later this week, I'm getting Fiber-Optic internet that's supposed to be 5 MegaBytes per second.

Funny thing is, they put all the fiber optic cable up in our area, but they have no internet for it yet. :lol:

Going from Copper to Plastic. Definitely a good upgrade. But I have the feeling you'll be paying through the nose for 5 megs/second.

Godwynn said:
Still on copper wire? Ouch!
DSL is run on copper (your phone line). DSL can run pretty quick.

Also, we are nearly out of range for DSL.

Here is a site with a listing of some connection speeds: These are maximum speeds however. Some are pretty damn quick!
http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/about/tech.php?a=types

It's that column on the right if you didn't notice. :p

OC-3072

Will be able to provide transmission speeds of around 159.25248 Gbps. It is unknown if such standards will be implemented in the near future.

Think of it, instant downloads of almost any size. that would be my entire hard drive in 2 seconds.

Top Bottom