[R&F] How is the +20 % AI Combat XP on Emperor calculated?

I have already posted this question in the Quick Questions and Answers thread. How is the +20 % AI Combat XP on Emperor calculated? Is it added to the base XP value before the Barracks bonus kicks in? And is it rounded e.g. from 3.6 to 4, as with human players? Interesting how much of an impact it has on the AI unit's promotion frequency. I have not noticed any AI combat unit XP popping after combat in-game, so I can't see how much XP they earn. Have you looked into it @Victoria?

Have you looked into it @Victoria?
I had a wee look into XP for another query a couple of months back but not this.
The logs do not provide XP gain information
Unless it has been changed in R&F the XP gain for the AI at Emperor is +20% and we must assume the AI uses the same XP functions we use.
I just checked my notes, there is a reminder in there to check XP rounding so will do that today if work does not get in the way amd my partner disappears somewhere so I can sneak on.

If you get a chance, start a settler game, you get +45% XP on that so should be easy to work out.

@KyivanRusCivPlease
For warrior on warrior combat (normally 4 XP for attacking)

on Settler I should get 5.8 XP but I get 6
on Cheftain I should get 5.2 XP but I get 6
on Warlord I should get 4.6 XP but I get 5

On cheftain after 2 attacks I have 12 XP but if it was keeping the decimals I should be on 11 XP (5.2 * 2 = 10.4)

I therefore conclude that it is a ROUNDUP rather than a ROUND and is non cumulative (resolved and persisted after each combat)

Let me know if thats not what you were after... thanks for the question.

Last edited:
@KyivanRusCivPlease
For warrior on warrior combat (normally 4 XP for attacking)

on Settler I should get 5.8 XP but I get 6
on Cheftain I should get 5.2 XP but I get 6
on Warlord I should get 4.6 XP but I get 5

On cheftain after 2 attacks I have 12 XP but if it was keeping the decimals I should be on 11 XP (5.2 * 2 = 10.4)

I therefore conclude that it is a ROUNDUP rather than a ROUND and is non cumulative (resolved and persisted after each combat)

Let me know if thats not what you were after... thanks for the question.
Thanks for doing this test. So it is too difficult to check the AI +20% XP accumulation. We could then find out how the modifiers for human players are calculated and assume the system is the same with AI. Could you please check how e.g. +20% Unit Experience from Oligarchy and +25 % from Barracks are added to the base XP value of 4: (4+20%)+25% = 6 or 4+45% = 5.8?
P.S.: By the way, could you also tell me which calculation is cumulative: 6 or 5.8? Just interesting.

Last edited:
Could you please check how e.g. +20% Unit Experience from Oligarchy and +25 % from Barracks are added to the base XP value of 4: (4+20%)+25% = 6 or 4+45% = 5.8?
Nothing in Civ VI stacks as far as I am aware. All values are applied to Base and therefore its 5.8.
There is a ceiling of 8 XP on a single combat unless that combat was taking a city. You get 10XP for capturing a city. I believe this is a flat rate. Its a nice way to either get one unit heavily OP or to spread the love.
While we are here +2XP for a kill
These may not seem like a lot but if for example you look at civtrader6 combats he is always deciding which unit will attack when to get the best promotion value by looking at the XP bar.
Which promotion lines to take is more contentious.

Last edited:
Nothing in Civ VI stacks as far as I am aware. All values are applied to Base and therefore its 5.8.
There is a ceiling of 8 XP on a single combat unless that combat was taking a city. You get 10XP for capturing a city. I believe this is a flat rate. Its a nice way to either get one unit heavily OP or to spread the love.
While we are here +2XP for a kill
These may not seem like a lot but if for example you look at civtrader6 combats he is always deciding which unit will attack when to get the best promotion value by looking at the XP bar.
Which promotion lines to take is more contentious.
Thanks for the reply. By the way, could you also clarify to me which calculation is called "cumulative": 6 or 5.8? Just interesting.

I would have considered 6 cumulative as it means it accumulates additional as it goes. Cumulative is typically a snowballing term AFAIK and also I believe deemed "stacked" in fanatic terms.

No cumulative means summitive, i.e. every value added together. That would apply to the case where xp bonuses are added together and to the base. If they are multiplied out, it's simply considered multiplicative.

Top Bottom