1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How long will YOU give Firaxis?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by DennisFord, Oct 26, 2005.

?

How long will you give Firaxis to fix this MAJOR problem?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2005.
  1. I'm on my way back to the store tonight

6 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. You got till morning

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. 24 hours

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. 48 hours

13 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. 1 week

53 vote(s)
    39.0%
  6. 1 month

48 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. rob.derosa

rob.derosa Chieftain

erm. its probably because your computer doesnt meet the recommended spec. not anything to do with them.. haha

2. Ultima Dragoon

Ultima Dragoon FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

Hail, Curtsibling!

I wouldn't care, I'ld just get another one.

3. Anima Croatorum

Anima Croatorum Prince

November 12th. Thats my birthday and they better have a birthday present for me ready by then. (Plus its the end-date in which I expect to recieve my copy of Civ 4, all those customs and shipping after Nov 4th...)

4. Daze

Daze Chieftain

Debugging software is a pain in the a*se made only more painful by having to break your concentration, go a tell some one that it isn't fixed yet but you are working on it and then trying to get back to where you were before you were interrupted (i.e. break your concetration to give someone no news what so ever). Give them some time, they'll fix it.
    P.S: I haven't got the game yet, I'd probably be a bit more annoyed if I had, especaily if I'd taken time of work to play the game but they're doing their best

5. Panzer Ace

Panzer Ace Chieftain

OH CRAP!:mad: ....same card. I guess I'll be playing CoD2 like you...

6. CivDav

CivDav Warlord

This 3D-system is new in civ so i give them a lot of times to repair tis bugs.

7. protista

protista Chieftain

While we do not have video card issues, and have a huge amount of video and user RAM (over 2 Gig), we still sympathize with those having problems running the game. Hopefully the programmers will quickly provide a patch to solve the most critical issues. I think one week is a reasonable length of time, given that this is a $50 program.

8. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

I'll give them how ever long it takes them to fix it - though I don't know if it'll work on my PC anyway, not being at home.

9. KymeraTX

KymeraTX Warlord

no, NEVER IN A MILLION years choice???? Civ 4 rules :)

10. NARC

NARC Chieftain

I've got a 6800GT OC - no problems here.

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Chieftain

Run's flawlessly on my rig
    Athlon 1.24Ghz
    1Gb Ram
    ATI Radeon 9600 Atlantis
    SB Audigy

Did you guys try uninstalling ALL of your video componets and reinstalling with new drivers. (Note: sould do this every year at least. and don't install new driver over old ones... EVER)

12. AzureMonster

AzureMonster Chieftain

Firaxis is notoriously bad about fixing their graphics problems. They'll likely find something to fix this one though as lots and lots of people are having it. I'm reminded of the problem I had with Civ 3 and the black screens. It was a problem alot of people had. Firaxis never fixed it, ever, in all of the game versions or patches that came out. Fortunately one customer of theirs had the knowledge to write a driver that would fix it and published it on the web. It was very sad that Firaxis never did this themselves.

13. Zakharov

Zakharov Academician

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but the 5200 is about as far from top end as you can get these days without having integrated graphics. It is the model number which is important and not the amount of VRAM. That card will never come close to fully utilising 256MB.

Having said that, it should still work with civ 4. Have you tried updating drivers?

Btw, a more cost effective way to upgrade may be to increase your system RAM depending on what you have already.

14. Alan_Bernardo

Alan_Bernardo Chieftain

How long do I really care about this and other worthless and thoughtless, troll-like polls?

This long.

Alanb

15. tmservo

tmservo Chieftain

For those of us with no problems, we'll give Firaxis infinity :)

16. Oerdin

Oerdin Deity

I'll do you one better and not buy until the game run as advertised.

17. RabidMonkeyMan

RabidMonkeyMan Chieftain

i suppose its hard for dev teams to find bugs that affect these cards when they can really only judge it on the beta testers and the machines they have there. but im seeing these graphics cards problems more and more now, and some people are actually trying to fix future problems (like the people who work on the Omega drivers, which makes the game work for me and many other people) id assume most dev teams can fix this in about a week maybe 2 (lionhead fixed bnw2's graphics problem in under a week, something like 4 days)

18. fuzzybunny

fuzzybunny Chieftain

I already went to ebgames and got my money back :)

If they ever fix it, I'll just buy it again, probably from the bargain bin.

19. Rustwork

Rustwork Warlord

returned mine right away. didn't want to wait and get screwed. like fuzzybunny, i'll buy it from the bargain bin in a few years when i need to get a new computer for other things as well. my suggestion: BE SURE you know it will run on your system, now or if it is ever fixed, before you buy.

20. Zany

Zany Prince

I'd give them 2 weeks, but I voted 1. I want a lot of things improved, mostly the interface, so I'd give them 'til the first XP. If the next XP doesn't fix the interface or compensate for it with perfect new features and lots of new civs AND units, I will find out wherever Firaxis's HQ is and throw the game back at the building. But yes, the game is running VERY slow. I would say The Sims 2 has just as good if not better graphics, and it runs at lightspeed on my computer at the highest graphics settings. The same goes for The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth. I am really starting to get angry at the game.

I will finish up the game I'm running now to see how modern gameplay goes about, then I will probably not touch it until a patch or XP is released. :mad: