How many cores are you planning to have for Civ V?

How many cores will your Civ V computer have?

• Single Core

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Dual Core

Votes: 112 39.3%
  • Tri core

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4 cores

Votes: 139 48.8%
  • 6 cores

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 8 cores

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • 12 cores

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters
I buy really nice machines and keep them for a while, how much RAM did people use 5 years ago? how about 10 years ago?
I bought an extremely nice Pentium 4 maybe 6 years ago and it still works really well

Right...that's what I'm on right now...only it's 7-8 years old...;)

Right...that's what I'm on right now...only it's 7-8 years old...;)

with something like a MacPro you could keep for a decade, for people still use Power Mac G4s

with something like a MacPro you could keep for a decade, for people still use Power Mac G4s

...My dad and I built this computer that I used right up until last year...9 years. If necessary it still would run Civ IV. :)

...My dad and I built this computer that I used right up until last year...9 years. If necessary it still would run Civ IV. :)

Impressive! well my buddy's dad runs a Power Mac G4 from 1999, with a clock speed equivalent to 1.5GHz (but he has a new Mac Pro too)

This may be of interest. Bite's Civ5 confirmed features thread has a link to an article by Big Download which has the following comment:-

We were able to confirm that the game is being developed for dual core processors with the ability to take advantage of up to eight threads, which should be welcome news for Quad Core i7 owners.

I haven't a clue what any of this means. Apples?

I haven't a clue what any of this means. Apples?

poll question said:
How many cores will your Civ V computer have?
maybe it means computer cores?

This game will play brilliantly on a dual quad core i7 extreme Mac Pro :drool:

I'll likely buy a new computer this fall when civ 5 comes out and what ever seems to be the middle of the road standard which meets the suggested specs will likely be what I get.

I'll likely buy a new computer this fall when civ 5 comes out and what ever seems to be the middle of the road standard which meets the suggested specs will likely be what I get.

get something better than the minimum specs, wait as long as you can for civ 5

Agreed ... I always try to buy computers at or near the best. This allows me to to make minor upgrades like disks, ram, graphics cards etc. e.g in my case, I bought a good CPU (i7) and a good Graphics Card (HD 4870), but only a 160 GB Hard Disk and only 6 GB of RAM. And upgrading Card, Hard Disk and RAM will be easier over the life of the computer (expecting 6 years ... like my previous ones). I'll be looking at a SSD next year, along with HD 6xxx series card when they come out. My RAM should be fine for a little while, but my MB supports 6 RAM Sticks, so 24 GB is not off the Radar. So get a very good CPU and Motherboard, but get easily upgradable components. I don't even have a Blu-Ray Drive yet !

oh good god. they would have to release a new civ now, when ive had my laptop for a few years and im not sure if it'll be able to handle it. i can imagine my trepidation now as i stick the disk in for the first time, install it and fire up before waiting to see if it crashes.:cry:
and i cant damn well buy a new one can i, what with the recession and council tax to pay and my opium habit.
i dont even know how many cores i have. theres a battered old sticker that says intel core duo processor T5500 1.66 ghz and up to 256 Nvidea GeForce Go7300 with Turbocache tecnology. i think that means 2, and im hoping that my extra pounds that i paid (being all clever) for a better graphics card pay off.
Even if it does work i'll probably end up cranking up the quality so that the sheeps move about a bit and the spearmen wiggle their spears and the whole rig will blow.
i dont want a new laptop. it has lovely cat and panda stickers on it, and we've been through a lot together. 2 viruses that meant me taking it to a shop and paying lots of money to have it fixed while making the mental vow never to go googling for sexy carol vorderman pictures again.
please work...

i'm going to overclock my 2.4ghz quad core when i get a decent cooling for it

Just make sure it has got plenty of RAM and only play "Small" maps and you should be fine ... just ;) ... until you have saved enough for a better one.

I really feel sorry for you :(.

;)
... Thanks for that ... I almost regretted not getting 12 GB ... No worries ... I get another 6 later. ;)

The ultimate cooling system, I've heard of 5GHz with that, btw that board on the very bottom is the MoBo

I wonder how long turn times would be?:drool:

I don't think the game can handle that many cores, but if it did turn times would be irrelevant

Top Bottom