How often do you *not* get easy access to copper

I seem to find that if I don't have any Copper handy, as soon as I finish researching IW, finding Iron, settling on/near/seizing it from an AI, one of my mines will just happen to find it. "Hey, Boss, guess what we just found? Shame we couldn't find this stuff a thousand years ago, huh?". :gripe:

To answer the OP, I rarely rely on getting copper for my strategy, although if I do get it, I may take advantage of it for an axe rush depending on the difficulty level I am playing at. I see BW mostly as a prerequisite for chopping. That's the best way to snag those early wonders. Still, I would say I get copper in my first city's BFC about 25% of the time. About 50% of the time it is in my culture level 2 radius. About 75% of the time it is somewhere close enough that I can include it in my second city's BFC without incurring ridiculously high maintenance costs. The other 25% of the time, I hunker down with archers until I get to IW, at which point I usually get iron. It is a rare game that I don't get at least one of the two, and I've found I can survive with just one of the two until I reach gunpowder. Usually by that time I've taken the other by force if I didn't have it already. Always war in Civ4, even if you plan to win peacefully. Remember that you get a lot of votes for diplomatic victory if you control an entire continent.

I mostly play on archipelago, and trust me, lacking early strategic resources is painfully common.

More often than not, I have neither horses nor copper within shooting distance of my capital or a second city, which means serious trouble when the barbarians start attacking en masse - generally around 1300 BC (on Epic speed).
And it is not rare at all to start on a landmass that doesn't contain iron either. Sometimes, you even start in full isolation (until Astronomy) without any of the three and without any luxury resources. Talk about balance!

I'm 60/40 with copper. Lately, I'm 70/30 with horses. Iron's more of a stickler for me 40/60 on that. Ivory has been my real rare one, though. I'm 25/75 with Ivory.

I'm 60/40 with copper. Lately, I'm 70/30 with horses. Iron's more of a stickler for me 40/60 on that. Ivory has been my real rare one, though. I'm 25/75 with Ivory.

For me, Ivory depends on whether or not I'm the Khmer: don't really register its frequency when I'm not Khmer (maybe 25/75, but nothing to cry over since swords or maces will do), but when I *am*, it's 5/95. For my whole starting continent. :lol:

Not that their UU is all that great, but I'd kind of like to, you know, experience it when I do happen to play them!

LoL :lol: seriously, man. I've never utilized the Khmer UU. What's the deal with it anyway? What's its bonus?

The Khmer UU is the one of the very few UU's with the dubious honor of having had a thread devoted to the notion that it is worse than the unit it replaces... though it's an arguable point, it's certainly not much *better*.

IIRC it's a jumbo that gets to force mounted units in an attacked stack to be the ones who defend against it............
.............except when attacking cities. :lol:

Could be nice in MP I guess.

Geeze. WTF kind of UU is that? Is this based on the real life Ballista Elephant? I can't imagine they put it in for gameplay value.

I think what happened is that they were so worried about making it overpowered (what with the double whammy of a powerful base unit and an unusual special ability) that they bent over in the opposite direction.

I wonder why they didn't just go the boring (though more interesting than usual) but safe route of making it resourceless? Probably realism reasons, but honestly, the world will never know.

Coulda made them movement 2 or str 10 and available at engineering (although, there isn't much to engineer for them, I guess. Just for game balance)

A ballista is essentially a big crossbow, so strength 9 or 10 and requiring HBR/Archery/Machinery/Jumbos would probably fit both game balance and suspension of disbelief requirements.

If I could be bothered, I'd suggest it for PIG. :)

Ballista Elephant IIRC is the only unit that can force a specific defender to defend, instead of whatever has the highest defense value, probably spearmen or pikemen. Not only that, Elephants get a bonus against mounted, and most mounted units don't get terrain bonuses. Potentially this is really useful if you're facing a mixed stack with lots of mounted units and a few strong defenders like pikemen in the field, as these elephants can kill knights and possibly even cuirassiers thanks to that anti-mounted bonus.

i founded 2 cities teched bronze... no copper
i founded 3 more cities teched iron working... no iron
had every other resource imaginable though

only source of iron was deep in Chinese lands and 2 source of copper in mail's land -.-

this is like the 6th time this has happened and from experience 70% of the time your done for

i wb a iron in my borders :)

only source of iron was deep in Chinese lands and 2 source of copper in mail's land -.-

this is like the 6th time this has happened and from experience 70% of the time your done for

Horse Archers; lots of Horse Archers. Mansa shouldn't be a tough target - take his copper.

> 80% of the time, horses are your best rushing resource. The rest of the time, you're rome, sumeria, etc. If you don't want to rush HA's + archery units are fine defensively. You can strip away their siege with HA or just kill the invasion outright.

*Lemon settles first city - Gets BW first for the copper...

- Copper is 20 tiles to the west...

*Lemon whips/chops warrior/settler to head for copper, followed by a worker and warrior to hook up new copper resource to capitol. Lemon prioritizes AH.

- Horses are 20 tiles to the east... next to Byzantium. Justinian waves hello.

*Lemon bruises forehead smashing it against desk, reaches for regen key...

*Lemon settles first city - Gets BW first for the copper...

- Copper is 20 tiles to the west...

*Lemon whips/chops warrior/settler to head for copper, followed by a worker and warrior to hook up new copper resource to capitol. Lemon prioritizes AH.

- Horses are 20 tiles to the east... next to Byzantium. Justinian waves hello.

*Lemon bruises forehead smashing it against desk, reaches for regen key...

Thanks for meeting my USDA approved minimum daily reqirement of schadenfreunde, Lemon. :lol:

Thanks for meeting my USDA approved minimum daily reqirement of schadenfreunde, Lemon. :lol:
Well, I'm glad you enjoyed that. You should hear about my bad games...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Top Bottom