How often do you win at the difficulty level(s) you choose to play at?

How often do you win at the difficulty level(s) you choose to play at?

• Almost always

Votes: 69 43.7%
  • Significantly more often than not

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • About half the time

Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Significantly less often than not

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Almost never

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
Depends on how you count it. I play mostly on immortal/occasionally deity and I frequently abandon games I pretty much have wrapped because it became boring.

Not counting those as wins it's probably around 50%, with those I'd be significantly higher. I tend to enjoy losing games more, and as such I'll play them to completion more often.

80 - 100% on emperor. Sometimes it takes me too long to get rolling, other times i roll out too fast and fail to catch up.

my main problem occurs when i am paying too much maintenance but am not generating enough gold and have no immediate ways into gold. Usually i circumvent this however. It only happens when...

1). I fail to explore early, thus not making good diplomacy ties and getting stifled on barbs + expansion.
2). I fail to expand at a good pace, either too early or late then fail to recover in a timely fashion.
3). I am in a situation where my best action for 30+ turns is "end turn".

This happens much less every game however. Im aware i could never lose by playing different maps, playing different civs and being more aggressive. not my style.

The few games of Civ V that I've actually bothered to finish have been on Prince. Tried one on King that went decently as well, but unfortunately V can't suck me in like IV used to do :p

5/5 on king, 0/1 on empower. I'm working my way up but my starting location that last game was dismal.

I been playing on Deity exclusively for about a year now and NEVER won.
I chose 'Almost Never' since that was the closest to NEVER lol. :crazyeye:

Definition of win:
See the Civ Victory screen with the one more turn button

If so I only win around 50% of my games.
I play Emperor, Immortal and Deity which one is depending on map settings and civilization I play.

I loose interest in alot of games while playing and don't finish them so I don't count them as games I have won.

I been playing on Deity exclusively for about a year now and NEVER won.
I chose 'Almost Never' since that was the closest to NEVER lol. :crazyeye:

This really begs the question- do you really suck that bad (no offense), or would you be better served by playing at a difficulty where you might win on occasion? Did you always beat Immortal, or something? If I was good enough to beat immortal most of the time, I'd feel pretty odd never being able to win a single deity game over a whole year... just curious why the intense masochism. Although I know there are folks who enjoy that sort of thing :D

100% of the time. It's why I play Prince. I don't like to lose.

Although to be fair, I never finished a game I thought I would lose. The thing is, I probably could have won. I just don't like to struggle. I like to be in 1st or 2nd place on score, and I like to build lots of wonders (nearly every wonder form mid game onward). So if for some reason I do get a bad start, I just stop playing.

I have less than 100 hours of gameplay under my belt, but I've been pretty consistent playing as Warlord. I played my first game at Settler and jumped to Warlord after a pretty thorough conquest victory over 3 other civs. I'm somewhere around 15-4 as Warlord.

I played two games at Prince, one quick game on a tiny map and one marathon on Pangaea. I lost the tiny map game vs. Lizzy (damn you SotLs!), but won a conquest victory against three other civs, albeit by the hair of my chin.

Always won by conquest. Despite trying my damnedest, I've never had a social or cultural win, and had to win by conquest against another who was real close to completing their SS before me.

I'm very thankful for this website, as I've finally found a place to not only burn some time at the office but also learn some intricacies of the game that I'd never noticed (i.e. ZoC) and are eager to take into account in future games.

Love this game. Dream in Civ often. Hell, I even sit in traffic and subconsciously organize vehicles into hexes. Glad I never played in college, or I'd likely had never graduated.

I said about half of the time. I play prince and I always win the games I stick with. But to be fair I ragequit many games when I have terrible starts or get early rushed by overwhelming opponents. Every time I get rushed, I beat back the invaders, but in doing so I'm set back a whole tech era and my lands are severly underdeveloped relative to the rest of the world. That's why I often restart those games.

Occasionally I beat back early rushes and manage to keep ahead tech-wise and developmentally. I stick with those games.

I never actually lose a game, since I don't complete any games in which I'm obviously not going to win. I play on Prince difficulty, and I play for pleasure. Losing isn't pleasant :)

I never actually lose a game, since I don't complete any games in which I'm obviously not going to win. I play on Prince difficulty, and I play for pleasure. Losing isn't pleasant :)

Welcome to the forums! I pretty much share your sentiment.

I used to think that way too, so I can definitely relate. Until I eventually figured out that a lot of those games which I thought I was 'obviously not going to win', I actually could win. And often not with all that much difficulty, surprisingly. I'd see an AI run up a huge score early, and think I didn't have a chance- either they'd conquer me, or outscience me or both. So I'd throw in the towel.

It wasn't until I actually decided to finish some of those games, that I realized that,

A) the player almost always starts out slower than the AI on difficulties which are at least mildly challenging to you, but where you blow them away is in the endgame, once you intelligently build up your empire and the resources you need to meet your victory condition. If you're playing it right, you will be the one that ends up snowballing for a runaway victory, later on. Science and culture victories are usually this way for me, presuming a small civ and no domination on the side. Just can't let the silly score or assumptions about the AI's capabilities get you down.

B) All AI's are dumb as a frickin' box of rocks. You see their score shoot up past yours, you see them building more modern units than you, you see them conquering other civs, etc. Depression sets in, then you quit. Too easily. Many a time I've been in that very same spot, and ended up winning. As often as not, a civ you think is going to molest your butt ends up petering out or getting sidetracked, or even just mysteriously slowing down and doing not much of anything for no apparent reason. Just assuming you're beat without playing it out, is often your mistake. It definitely was mine, in the past.

Example: just the other day, China had me beat by two whole eras in the tech race. I was just getting gunpowder, she was building modern infantry and the statue of liberty. But I was doing well with my small culture civ, and I ended up beating her, even though she built the apollo program long, long before I ever got close to starting the utopia project. But even though she'd blown away the whole world in science, had the best units and a sizeable military equalled by none, she just dinked around for the last century without ever building a single piece of the rocket. Assume you are beat, and you will be. Fight it out, and you will often win.

I'd bet you anything, that a good portion of the games you've quit, you probably could have won handily, if you stuck with it. This is experience talking :)

I play on King and win 95-100% of the time. I don't like playing too much higher because I feel the AI advantages lose the immersion for me.

I feel the same way. I've beaten the game on immortal but I don't like doing it often since it feels so stacked.

Well, i mostly play Immortal and win like 50-60% of the games. I agree with you Yzman and Archy for the AI advantages matter in this kind of difficulty. But lets say, since the AI rly struggles in combat, giving it all the other bonuses will somehow make things "even".

I think every1 here wish that the difficulty levels had to do with how "smart" the A.I. would be and not having all those starting bonuses. But since that can't happen (maybe lack of programming skills from the developers?), i don't see an other way to even things up.

This really begs the question- do you really suck that bad (no offense), or would you be better served by playing at a difficulty where you might win on occasion? Did you always beat Immortal, or something? If I was good enough to beat immortal most of the time, I'd feel pretty odd never being able to win a single deity game over a whole year... just curious why the intense masochism. Although I know there are folks who enjoy that sort of thing :D

Self punishment tfs! :lol:
I love the intensity of first 100 turns on Deity. On immortal I will normally get on top of things within the first 100 and start predicting stuff but on Deity I can get surprised at any time and it only takes one mistake and Im doomed - exciting stuff :mischief:

100% The Games I Finish

Was Losing on prince on my 2nd Game, but I just finished about 3 Games

Tried on Emperor OCC and was winning (On science, planing a diplomatic, with over 5k gold saved for the election) but It became boring by turn 250

Depends on who I play as. I always win with The Inca no matter what VC I go for. If I play a civ I'm not familiar with it runs about 60-40 lose. I play on King and Prince. I just don't have the patience and will for micro management required on higher difficulties.

Top Bottom