1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How old were you when you first played Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by BlueBMW, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

I was around 12-15(cant remember), I was newbie in computers, so I bought CIV3 Play The World, without haveing the original :p It took some months to convince my mother to buy the original hehe. Then surely enough I got addicted for long hehe, eventually I got CIV1 and CIV2 also, really liked CIV1, but not much the CIV2(dont ask), then stopped for 1 or 2 years untill CIV4 :p

2. trada

trada civ1 mod Retired Moderator

I find this story a very touching one. Thank you jprc for sharing. :)

3. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

I started at 9. I was at the house of an older friend when he showed it to me on his Mac. Bought Civ2 for Windows a few days later. Been hooked ever since.

@jprc: Again, that is a touching story. Play on, man. :king:

4. mutax2003

mutax2003 Rider of China, 4-3-3

To JPRC:

Time ease all pains, and help us surmount over life's dark days. May you have found new hopes, forge new pathes in your life, but that you will always carry with you cherished memories of your family and friends. Maybe your little girl and wife are looking over you from above, guiding you in your choices, until the day when you can meet again. Good luck and happy civving.

5. farsider

farsider Chieftain

I quess I was the oldest. My son David still remembers when and where we bought the game in 1991. He was 11 and I was 42. Of course I have owned all the Civ games and expansion packs. I develop software and tried, unsuccessfully, to get Civ 1 to work on either Windows and OS/2. Now I play Civ 1 with DosBox on Windows XP.

Of course we (David and I) were hooked on Sid Meier's games, especially Railroads.

6. nympholept

nympholept Chieftain

it was in 1995, i was 13. I've never played anything but civ1 (and civnet)
    Although i never read the manual back then, i just learnt by watching friends (who hadnt read the manual either), so i'm still learning new things now. (until last week, i didn't realize the effect of "we love the leader day")

7. CivPartisan

CivPartisan King

Hey nympholept!

It's great to see young players of this game!

Keeping people happy is sometimes hard to do...but I've had a few games that had so many cities "loving the king" that it was a riot just watching the celebrations come up. I get a kick out of the Diplomatic screens when they smile..it's just so...so...cheesy.

CivPartisan

8. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

I am 71+ now I first played it when it came out on the 5.25" floppies and am still playing it. I don't recall the year...so you can work it out :)!

9. D'Artagnan59

D'Artagnan59 The Gascon

A few years ago.

With Civ2.

Regular.

Good times.

Conquered insane amount of territory as Rome. No cheat mode.

Very good times.

10. trada

Wow! I'm amazed there is a senior citizen who understands technology enough to post in this forum. I'm equally impressed you played civ :)

Good on ya, mate :)

11. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

You should meet gmaharriet. :)

12. CivPartisan

CivPartisan King

Grand Dad...71! That's fantastic!

That means there is hope for my dad...he would probably get a kick outta civ, now that I think about it...

My dad just got a computer not too long ago, so I should probably pick up a copy for him on ebay or something. It never crossed my mind until now.

Then again, I will likely being playing civ at 71 too ;)

CivPartisan

13. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

Good luck and may you play it longer than I have. Remember it still remains my most favourite strategy game :).
    And yes let your Dad try it, after a few disappointments, which we all face at the beginning, he too will fall in love with it.

Peace!!!

14. stuartjewkes

stuartjewkes Chieftain

Hi all

My first post here, and to answer the above questions, today :lol:

Just picked up Civilization Chronicles new and sealed for £20 and decided to start at the beginning. It's now 2AM.

I have dabbled in the past but i've never given enough time over to appreciate the subtleties offered by this sort of thing. I remember playing Civ2 with the expansion packs for a few hours years back and i have no idea why i stopped playing really...

But anyway i intend to give this a little time before moving on.

And before anyone says it, i'm a bit of a fan of older games so playing something like this is no suprise. My other gaming passions are Shmups (Raiden, R-Type, DoDonPachi, Gunbird, etc, etc) which are firmly situated in the 80-90s.

15. LOLZ

LOLZ Chieftain

I was probably..........11 at the time i sarted my dad got it from a neibor and played it alot then i started

16. trada

Twenty Euros for CC? Darnit! It's roughly a hundred New Zealand dollars at the local Dick Smith.

17. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

GMAharriet is my junior by about six years but I would definitely like to meet her/him the next time I logon :)!

18. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

I had missed Civ II when it came out I am now looking for it now...my dealer has promised to try and get it, I have also asked my son in Finland to try and get it :). Does the CC have it?

19. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

What's CC ?

20. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

I thinks it is Civilization Chronicles.