How old were you when you first played Civ?

I was around 12-15(cant remember), I was newbie in computers, so I bought CIV3 Play The World, without haveing the original :p It took some months to convince my mother to buy the original hehe. Then surely enough I got addicted for long hehe, eventually I got CIV1 and CIV2 also, really liked CIV1, but not much the CIV2(dont ask), then stopped for 1 or 2 years untill CIV4 :p

jprc said:
I am 48, and still play it from time to time. But not for the same reason as most of you, unfortunately.
3 days before Christmas 1991, I was 33, and never played a computer game before.
I was at the time in Germany, and just dropped my little girl and my wife at a local airport for meeting her parents at Heidelberg. I was due to join them by road on Christmas day as I had to finish a job before.

When I went back home, it was empty, and I was feeling just too lonely. I went to a friend's home and found him very excited as he had just received Civilization.
We shared the evening trying to undertstand how this game was working, totally unused to video games and amazed by the complexity of what was for us something incredibly "big" and unexpected (we were still with a mind: game = pacman or rubik cube ...)

At the same time that I was having a great time with my friend, and probably in the middle of one of our "strategical" discussions, the Douglas DC3 that was carrying my little family crashed. They were killed with 26 other people and crew.

This made a turn in my life, and from this year, I moved on to a different job, bringing me into many different countries where some sort of assistance is needed. When I left Europe in early 1992, in my bagage I had the civilization 1 that my friend offered to me, just telling me "you had a good time with it, it will help you having more good time and forget a bit...".
Since then, I play this game, from time to time, as it has not for me the same savor as for all of you (I hope), and simply brings me back in time, like an old friend, softly.
It was long ago now ...

I find this story a very touching one. Thank you jprc for sharing. :)

I started at 9. I was at the house of an older friend when he showed it to me on his Mac. Bought Civ2 for Windows a few days later. Been hooked ever since.

@jprc: Again, that is a touching story. Play on, man. :king:

To JPRC:

Time ease all pains, and help us surmount over life's dark days. May you have found new hopes, forge new pathes in your life, but that you will always carry with you cherished memories of your family and friends. Maybe your little girl and wife are looking over you from above, guiding you in your choices, until the day when you can meet again. Good luck and happy civving.

I quess I was the oldest. My son David still remembers when and where we bought the game in 1991. He was 11 and I was 42. Of course I have owned all the Civ games and expansion packs. I develop software and tried, unsuccessfully, to get Civ 1 to work on either Windows and OS/2. Now I play Civ 1 with DosBox on Windows XP.

Of course we (David and I) were hooked on Sid Meier's games, especially Railroads.

it was in 1995, i was 13. I've never played anything but civ1 (and civnet)
Although i never read the manual back then, i just learnt by watching friends (who hadnt read the manual either), so i'm still learning new things now. (until last week, i didn't realize the effect of "we love the leader day")

Hey nympholept!

it was in 1995, i was 13.

It's great to see young players of this game!

(until last week, i didn't realize the effect of "we love the leader day")

Keeping people happy is sometimes hard to do...but I've had a few games that had so many cities "loving the king" that it was a riot just watching the celebrations come up. I get a kick out of the Diplomatic screens when they smile..it's just so...so...cheesy.

CivPartisan

I am 71+ now I first played it when it came out on the 5.25" floppies and am still playing it. I don't recall the year...so you can work it out :)!

A few years ago.

With Civ2.

Regular.

Good times.

Conquered insane amount of territory as Rome. No cheat mode.

Very good times.

I am 71+ now I first played it when it came out on the 5.25" floppies and am still playing it. I don't recall the year...so you can work it out :)!

Wow! I'm amazed there is a senior citizen who understands technology enough to post in this forum. I'm equally impressed you played civ :)

Good on ya, mate :)

Grand Dad...71! That's fantastic!

That means there is hope for my dad...he would probably get a kick outta civ, now that I think about it...

My dad just got a computer not too long ago, so I should probably pick up a copy for him on ebay or something. It never crossed my mind until now.

Then again, I will likely being playing civ at 71 too ;)

CivPartisan

Good luck and may you play it longer than I have. Remember it still remains my most favourite strategy game :).
And yes let your Dad try it, after a few disappointments, which we all face at the beginning, he too will fall in love with it.

Peace!!!

Hi all

My first post here, and to answer the above questions, today :lol:

Just picked up Civilization Chronicles new and sealed for £20 and decided to start at the beginning. It's now 2AM.

I have dabbled in the past but i've never given enough time over to appreciate the subtleties offered by this sort of thing. I remember playing Civ2 with the expansion packs for a few hours years back and i have no idea why i stopped playing really...

But anyway i intend to give this a little time before moving on.

And before anyone says it, i'm a bit of a fan of older games so playing something like this is no suprise. My other gaming passions are Shmups (Raiden, R-Type, DoDonPachi, Gunbird, etc, etc) which are firmly situated in the 80-90s.

I was probably..........11 at the time i sarted my dad got it from a neibor and played it alot then i started

Twenty Euros for CC? Darnit! It's roughly a hundred New Zealand dollars at the local Dick Smith.

I had missed Civ II when it came out I am now looking for it now...my dealer has promised to try and get it, I have also asked my son in Finland to try and get it :). Does the CC have it?

Top Bottom