How to bring NQ and the League closer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree KM, I have been trying to build bridges with NQ, and bring us closer together and I will continue to do so. Playing different styles of Civ5 doesn't mean we both don't have the same goal, to make the MP community a better place.

And btw just a nick picky point, we are not "civleague" we are CivPlayers Leagues, if you want to abbreviate it, it is CP :p In the past we would have called ourselves C3P or C4P etc, but since we support all three games now, CP will do :p

Have a nice day.

CS

I don't think we have ever made a statement that we determine "the best player in the world", we do offer a ranking that allows players to compare their skill against other players. But saying who is the best player in the world is a lot trying to say who the best Boxing Champ ever was :-/

Here is a quote from the preamble to our rules:

Play hard but play fair, is a pretty good general description what probably makes the league and NQ different, but I still think we can co-operate, I personally think the barrier is personalities not our vision of playing Civ....

CS

I think co-existence is wonder myself. But I think your last post may have had a typo? Did you mean burning when you said building? I reference you to this.

This is just joke from CS. Not any fact here supports that point.
Dont call me that hacker, im hate bastards same as you.
Stop it pls.

You know the great thing about steam is that you can't hide your previous alias. This is your steam account http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198030715831 I've encased the link in URL tags with the tool bar here, I hope that meets the one click rule.

And you can clearly see that you have impostered myself, and are the account that sent out all the vulgar announcements last week. I'll let the people decide for themselves, everyone can read well here :-/

CS

I think co-existence is wonder myself. But I think your last post may have had a typo? Did you mean burning when you said building? I reference you to this.

I think we already had a long discussion of what my intent was with that post and it was not a slight at NQ in anyway. I apologize if my post appeared condescending as that was not my intent what so ever.

CS

I agree KM, I have been trying to build bridges with NQ, and bring us closer together and I will continue to do so. Playing different styles of Civ5 doesn't mean we both don't have the same goal, to make the MP community a better place.

And btw just a nick picky point, we are not "civleague" we are CivPlayers Leagues, if you want to abbreviate it, it is CP :p In the past we would have called ourselves C3P or C4P etc, but since we support all three games now, CP will do :p

Have a nice day.

CS

CP it is! Think CL sounds nice thought since u come to think bout a certain other league.

Also CP in swedish (mabye in other languages too) (i m swedish) is abbreviation for a cerebral pares, a brain disorder.

hmmm.... oh well I m ranting. To little civ and to much work lately I guess.. :(

You know the great thing about steam is that you can't hide your previous alias. This is your steam account Moderator Action: *snip* link doesn't follow the one click rule.

And you can clearly see that you have impostered myself, and are the account that sent out all the vulgar announcements last week. I'll let the people decide for themselves, everyone can read well here :-/

CS

Well, i still not see any associations between.
My point is you are that hacker.
You are posting links advertising him.
You are only talking about him in every topic.
Not me.

As a completely new player to Civ multiplayer. I had trouble finding people for a game in the main chat lobby. I then came here, and while I read about NQ and CL before, I hadn't really thought about them. - I read up on both, and decided to join both groups today. People seemed friendly both places. I just had a league game, where I lost (as expected) and the 2 people I played were really nice. I haven't played a NQ game yet, since I don't have that many hours unless it's weekend, but people seem nice there too, and I believe that NQ suits my relaxed playing style a bit more, but that it'll be fun to play "hard" once in a while.

On civfanatics both groups seem kinda childish, but I'm smart enough to see that it's mostly single persons doing all the hating and posting crappy/childish messages.

So yes, both groups can and in fact already DOES co-exist, except for a few loud individuals.

As a completely new player to Civ multiplayer. I had trouble finding people for a game in the main chat lobby. I then came here, and while I read about NQ and CL before, I hadn't really thought about them. - I read up on both, and decided to join both groups today. People seemed friendly both places. I just had a league game, where I lost (as expected) and the 2 people I played were really nice. I haven't played a NQ game yet, since I don't have that many hours unless it's weekend, but people seem nice there too, and I believe that NQ suits my relaxed playing style a bit more, but that it'll be fun to play "hard" once in a while.

On civfanatics both groups seem kinda childish, but I'm smart enough to see that it's mostly single persons doing all the hating and posting crappy/childish messages.

So yes, both groups can and in fact already DOES co-exist, except for a few loud individuals.

Welcome!

Let me explain my loudness and childishness extremely breifly.

Have played civ since the first one. MP started in civ 2 gold played it there. Civ 3 is where league started, when that happened I gave it a shot. I always felt alienated because I did not like the rules that were used. (My opinion). Since then I have read post after post of people "pimping out" (for lack of a better term) that group. I think this is wonderful, but when 5 came along and the NQ group formed, anytime it was mentioned these same people would not necessarily bad mouth but over advertise the league in these discussions. Being a long time read of the forum I got fed up with it re-activated my acount (which i had posted 1 time before under another name) and felt as though someone should defend the group so new people to MP, like yourself, didn't feel like we were a bunch of unorganized morons that didn't have solid games. Have I been vocal about this since? YES! Someone has to be. I welcome you to one of my games any time you see me in the lobby. Typically one can squeeze in a game after work if you get out at 5 and play when you get home then go to bed to get up for a grueling day of work again the next morning.

Again, welcome to civ MP!

Welcome to Civplayers and MP, Overwind. Yes there has been some childish posts here, that is unfortunate, but you have to consider that that is mostly because the people from both organizations are very proud of what they have accomplished, and while that should not stand in the way of cooperation, pride can be a negative influence. I for one apologize for the less than mature banter that has gone on here.

CS

CP it is! Think CL sounds nice thought since u come to think bout a certain other league.

Also CP in swedish (mabye in other languages too) (i m swedish) is abbreviation for a cerebral pares, a brain disorder.

hmmm.... oh well I m ranting. To little civ and to much work lately I guess.. :(

Don't worry, Civplayers.com is the original league/ladder, no one else can replicate what we have done for the past 10 years no matter how much they try and steal our name in a web site hosted east of the old iron curtain :p

As for the name, I don't have a problem with informal names used in chat lobbies etc, just want to promote our "brand" name, in official text :p Like Coke or Kleenex :p

Lots of players still call us a "ladder" from our old days on Cases Ladder before we coded our own league.

CS

U really think there is SKILL in diplomacy???

Dave didn't say that, he only said that diplomacy is more exciting. And i agree. You can make some ''deals'' with other players if the situation concurs. You don't need skills, only some charism ;)

Regarding skill and diplomacy. Mabye skill doesnt pay of that much in diplomacy but good behaviour does. If you dont complain and make stupid comments when loosing nor brag to much or calling the others bad players when winning and give good advice how to improve to the people you play with you will in the long run be regarded as a respected player. That will give you advantage in diplomacy. Basicly if people like you and respect you they are less likely to gang up on you without a good reason or backstab you. They even might aid you in winning (even if you are allready the strongest player) when they see that they have allready lost the race. Since they respect you they rather see you win then the people they don t like.

If you even when getting attackt by 3 other players keep your manners. If you survive for a long time but eventually falls without making a big deal about the 3 of them ganging up on you. If you even discuss the game afterwards talking about how to improve and what not with the other players. They will know that the only reason they beat you was that they did cooperate to do so and the fact you didn t get pissed off about it and that you managed to hold all 3 of them of for a very long time will gain you a lot of respect that will aid you in games to come.

I regard dilomacy in civ 5 as a tool that in the long run will reward beeing respectfull, helpfull and all around friendly player winning or loosing the games.

Regarding skill and diplomacy. Mabye skill doesnt pay of that much in diplomacy but good behaviour does. If you dont complain and make stupid comments when loosing nor brag to much or calling the others bad players when winning and give good advice how to improve to the people you play with you will in the long run be regarded as a respected player. That will give you advantage in diplomacy. Basicly if people like you and respect you they are less likely to gang up on you without a good reason or backstab you. They even might aid you in winning (even if you are allready the strongest player) when they see that they have allready lost the race. Since they respect you they rather see you win then the people they don t like.

If you even when getting attackt by 3 other players keep your manners. If you survive for a long time but eventually falls without making a big deal about the 3 of them ganging up on you. If you even discuss the game afterwards talking about how to improve and what not with the other players. They will know that the only reason they beat you was that they did cooperate to do so and the fact you didn t get pissed off about it and that you managed to hold all 3 of them of for a very long time will gain you a lot of respect that will aid you in games to come.

I regard dilomacy in civ 5 as a tool that in the long run will reward beeing respectfull, helpfull and all around friendly player winning or loosing the games.

Sry, but when you have to play the nice guy when playing Videogames you maybe better just cut off your balls? (too explicit?)
Playing the nice guy is good to get girls and to get more money in job, but Videogames are there to let the devil which is in every man - out!

Sry, but when you have to play the nice guy when playing Videogames you maybe better just cut off your balls? (too explicit?)
Playing the nice guy is good to get girls and to get more money in job, but Videogames are there to let the devil which is in every man - out!

Well sometimes beeing bad will get you the girl too. And sometimes beeing good will help you in videogames nd sometimes beeing a bit of both will help you get more money in bussines.

What I want to know is why hasn't anyone thanked me for both being a ladder player, and organizing ffa games with others (both ladder and non) at a time convenient for me?! ;)

The most I know of NQ is what I've read in this thread. Do you guys save and reload games or is it all in one shot, ironman style?

I applaud everyone who is putting pride and ego aside to improve the civ MP community. In the end, people will play the type of game they prefer. Me, I happen to play a bit of both. It's SP that usually bores the pants off me, ever since I found 'the ladder' with Civ 3. And I have to say, CS has consistently been a very decent, hard working administrator who does his best for little thanks. And just to be 'fair and balanced' I'll add here that it sounds like NQ is providing a parallel type of service for players who want a different type of game than what usually gets played on the ladder. It is important to note, though, that ladder players don't have to abide by rules limiting the type of game. They just have to all agree about the settings before they start. Is it cton? Is it ffa? Both are allowed.

And yes, at the league/ladder, people play very sharp, aggressive games, for the most part.

Anyway I didn't start this post to defend CP, I just happen to know more about them.

Main point is, kudos to those building bridges, even when it gets hard. We all want to play good games. The more we interact, the more options there will be, the more good players will be around. I'll check out NQ sometime soon and see if it works for me.

But as you can see from my posts in this forum, basically I've moved away from the ladder toward ffa games, because I enjoy them more--but I'm fine with players from anywhere joining them, regardless of whether their approach is more relaxed, or calculated and brutal.

I also agree, reputation is important in ffa games, and it carries from one game to the next. And being respectful, and decent, and sharing tactics, and putting ego aside when you're losing or winning, all help to improve the number and caliber of players and the level of enjoyment of everyone involved.

Damn I must care about this game to write so much.

p.s. tommy, in my opinion, you can be utterly brutal and still be nice about it. And you've even done that in our last couple games. :)

Thanks to both CanuckSoldier and uigaw423.

I have no problem with a little healthy competition. But instead of arguing, you should praise your differences. I mean, for a newcomer like me, it's fantastic to have both a group for relaxed games and one for competitive games.

Oh, by the way, an advice for both of you. I actually had problems finding both your steam-groups. I searched for "Civ league" and all kinds of things, and it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Of course I found it using the homepages in the end. But maybe have something like "Search for "Civplayers" on steam!" in your signatures would be a great way to lead people to your groups easily. (or maybe I was just kinda ******ed, since it was the first time I joined ANY steam-group).

What I want to know is why hasn't anyone thanked me for both being a ladder player, and organizing ffa games with others (both ladder and non) at a time convenient for me?! ;)

The most I know of NQ is what I've read in this thread. Do you guys save and reload games or is it all in one shot, ironman style?

I applaud everyone who is putting pride and ego aside to improve the civ MP community. In the end, people will play the type of game they prefer. Me, I happen to play a bit of both. It's SP that usually bores the pants off me, ever since I found 'the ladder' with Civ 3. And I have to say, CS has consistently been a very decent, hard working administrator who does his best for little thanks. And just to be 'fair and balanced' I'll add here that it sounds like NQ is providing a parallel type of service for players who want a different type of game than what usually gets played on the ladder. It is important to note, though, that ladder players don't have to abide by rules limiting the type of game. They just have to all agree about the settings before they start. Is it cton? Is it ffa? Both are allowed.

And yes, at the league/ladder, people play very sharp, aggressive games, for the most part.

Anyway I didn't start this post to defend CP, I just happen to know more about them.

Main point is, kudos to those building bridges, even when it gets hard. We all want to play good games. The more we interact, the more options there will be, the more good players will be around. I'll check out NQ sometime soon and see if it works for me.

But as you can see from my posts in this forum, basically I've moved away from the ladder toward ffa games, because I enjoy them more--but I'm fine with players from anywhere joining them, regardless of whether their approach is more relaxed, or calculated and brutal.

I also agree, reputation is important in ffa games, and it carries from one game to the next. And being respectful, and decent, and sharing tactics, and putting ego aside when you're losing or winning, all help to improve the number and caliber of players and the level of enjoyment of everyone involved.

Damn I must care about this game to write so much.

p.s. tommy, in my opinion, you can be utterly brutal and still be nice about it. And you've even done that in our last couple games. :)

Agree! well said!

And to answer the question about Nq games. they are ironman style. Reload from save is common but that is when the game freeze or crash and sometimes for a 15-30 minute break to grab lunch. but other than that it s all the game in one session.

Best regards

I agree. Can someone PLEASE thanks me ONE TIME for what I have done for the community? No ! I have done A LOT inviting people to play, hosting games and kicking noobish ass in league and NQ! Noboby thanks me! I CANT BELIEVE IT! Why do you think I am playing ? Because I enjoy the game ?

:lol:

I just had a league game, where I lost (as expected) and the 2 people I played were really nice.

I have seen that you played against DJMax for your first match. It is not a competitive game, just a slaughter ! Don't be afraid of league, you can only find find softer players than Dj.

Thanks to both CanuckSoldier and uigaw423.

I have no problem with a little healthy competition. But instead of arguing, you should praise your differences. I mean, for a newcomer like me, it's fantastic to have both a group for relaxed games and one for competitive games.

Oh, by the way, an advice for both of you. I actually had problems finding both your steam-groups. I searched for "Civ league" and all kinds of things, and it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Of course I found it using the homepages in the end. But maybe have something like "Search for "Civplayers" on steam!" in your signatures would be a great way to lead people to your groups easily. (or maybe I was just kinda ******ed, since it was the first time I joined ANY steam-group).

I know it is not easy to find groups since we do not have a open built in lobby to advertise in, but you will notice that my sigs in this and every other fan site forum are full of links to the league and it's steam group :p And I know we have tried to make google send people to us with key words, and if you google "civilization MP" Civplayers is the top hit, not sure what more we can do, but I do agree with your observation.

CS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom