How to build and contribute to the Community Patch DLL

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help point to the source of the following errors when building the project "as is" from the cloned git repository... I've looked at the linker settings and can't seem to work it out:

Spoiler :
1>------ Build started: Project: CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2, Configuration: Mod Win32 ------
1>cl : Command line warning D9040: ignoring option '/analyze'; Code Analysis warnings are not available in this edition of the compiler
1> _precompile.cpp
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(25): error C2027: use of undefined type 'FStringA'
1> C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FDataStream.h(25) : see declaration of 'FStringA'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(25): error C2027: use of undefined type 'FStringA'
1> C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FDataStream.h(25) : see declaration of 'FStringA'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(26): error C2027: use of undefined type 'FStringA'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(26): error C2228: left of '.c_str' must have class/struct/union
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(36): error C2079: 'sConverted' uses undefined class 'FStringA'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(37): error C2027: use of undefined type 'FStringW'
1> C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FDataStream.h(26) : see declaration of 'FStringW'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(37): error C3861: 'CopyToUTF8': identifier not found
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(38): error C2228: left of '.c_str' must have class/struct/union
1> type is 'int'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(51): error C2027: use of undefined type 'FStringW'
1> C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FDataStream.h(26) : see declaration of 'FStringW'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(51): error C2027: use of undefined type 'FStringW'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(48): error C2079: 'sConvert' uses undefined class 'FStringW'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(49): error C2228: left of '.CopyUTF8' must have class/struct/union
1> type is 'int'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(55): error C2027: use of undefined type 'FStringW'
1>C:\Users\Kurisu\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Community-Patch-DLL-master\FirePlace\include\Fireworks/FLua/Include/FLuaFStringSupport.h(55): error C2228: left of '.c_str' must have class/struct/union
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I don't get these errors with my setup when building a dll from any other source (e.g. the original SDK source, Gedemon's R.E.D. dll etc). The vanilla and the G&K projects in the CP repository also build without error... it's just CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2 generating these definition errors. It's identical when loading the respective project in either VS2010 or VS2008 (I'm using the Express versions of both).

I presume I'm committing some oversight with 3rd party libs. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. My goal, at this point, is simply to follow along with development and try my hand at debugging.

The build is failing because a required Firaxis header file has been removed from the CvGameCoreDLLPCH.h file

The block

Code:
#include <FireWorks/FDefNew.h>
#include <FireWorks/FFireTypes.h>
#include <FireWorks/FAssert.h>
#include <Fireworks/FILogFile.h>
#include <Fireworks/FDataStream.h>
#include <Fireworks/Win32/FKBInputDevice.h>
#include <Fireworks/FFastList.h>

should be

Code:
[B]#include <Fireworks/FFreeListArrayBase.h>[/B]
[B]#include <Fireworks/FFreeListTrashArray.h>[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]#include <Fireworks/FVariableSystem.h>[/B][/COLOR]
[B]#include <FireWorks/FAStarNode.h>[/B]

Why the four in bold have been removed I don't know, you'll need to ask Gazeebo, but removing the red one is fatal.

The build is failing because a required Firaxis header file has been removed from the CvGameCoreDLLPCH.h file

The block

Code:

should be

Code:
[B]#include <Fireworks/FFreeListArrayBase.h>[/B]
[B]#include <Fireworks/FFreeListTrashArray.h>[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]#include <Fireworks/FVariableSystem.h>[/B][/COLOR]
[B]#include <FireWorks/FAStarNode.h>[/B]

Why the four in bold have been removed I don't know, you'll need to ask Gazeebo, but removing the red one is fatal.

Ilteroi removed them at some point - best to ask him. I don't spend a lot of time in that file, so I didn't know that they were missing.

G

@whoward

Thanks for investigating :) Including the additional headers produces a successful build (though I haven't tested it yet).

@Gazebo

I'll open an issue over on Git if Ilteroi doesn't see it here. Aside from the significance of excluding those, I'm curious why that wouldn't cause a failed build on your end as well.

Thanks guys.

well, i'm not sure what's different for you, those includes have been gone for more than one year and it's building fine.

which project file are you using?

in the regular one there is no dependency on the SDK and those headers are not required.

well, i'm not sure what's different for you, those includes have been gone for more than one year and it's building fine.

which project file are you using?

in the regular one there is no dependency on the SDK and those headers are not required.

I'm opening ..\Community-Patch-DLL-master\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2.vs2010.vcxproj and then saving the solution to the parent directory.

so the project file should be ok then.

next point: the error message indicates a problem with FString, which is defined in (surprise) FString.h and not in FVariableSystem.h, so i think it's a red herring.

you could just add the include for FVariableSystem.h back and see if it helps. otherwise i'm running out of ideas.

The reason (re-)including FVariableSystem.h fixes it is simple

Code:
#ifndef		FVARIABLESYSTEM_H
#define		FVARIABLESYSTEM_H
#pragma		once

#include "FString.h"

Yeah, that alone did the trick.

I'm running a game with the resulting build and a save from the 10-27 release with no problems. The file size is a bit larger (~3mb)

What are you developing this project on? Windows 7? Windows 10?

I have a shiny new windows 10 machine but now it cannot install a Visual Studio 2010 for me to examine the sole remaining solution file.

What are you developing this project on? Windows 7? Windows 10?

I have a shiny new windows 10 machine but now it cannot install a Visual Studio 2010 for me to examine the sole remaining solution file.

I use VS2010 on Windows 10, no problem.
G

Sorry for my github newbness, but is it possible to also add whoward69's code?

Something like I did for Gazebo's code in post #4 of this thread:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\git" remote add upstream https://github.com/whoward69/DLL-VMC

(I've already added Gazebo's as upstream to my fork).

What I aiming to do is use Gazebo's code base as my master code, but update it with whoward69's updates (instead of having to manually implement whoward69's changes into my fork of Gazebo's).

Or possibly a way to merge whoward69's changes with git merge.

Sorry for my github newbness, but is it possible to also add whoward69's code?

Something like I did for Gazebo's code in post #4 of this thread:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\git" remote add upstream https://github.com/whoward69/DLL-VMC

(I've already added Gazebo's as upstream to my fork).

What I aiming to do is use Gazebo's code base as my master code, but update it with whoward69's updates (instead of having to manually implement whoward69's changes into my fork of Gazebo's).

Or possibly a way to merge whoward69's changes with git merge.

Nope. And you don't need to, we're at VMC79 on github for the CP.

G

Nope. And you don't need to, we're at VMC79 on github for the CP.

G

Well that's a pity there is no way to merge another repo's commit. Ironic you just demonstrated the very reason I asked if this can be done.

Spoiler :
Commits on Mar 31, 2016
@whoward69
v80
whoward69 committed 5 days ago

I am also getting this building the CBP:
Code:
------ Build started: Project: Community Balance Patch, Configuration: Default x86 ------
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Firaxis\ModBuddy\Civ5Mod.targets(76,9): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "Art\Icons\Austria.ggxml" because it was not found.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

This building the CP:
Code:
------ Build started: Project: Community Patch, Configuration: Default x86 ------
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Firaxis\ModBuddy\Civ5Mod.targets(76,9): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "Core Files\CoreLua\EventChoice.mp3" because it was not found.
EDIT: Oh I notice other files also missing from the same folder. Perhaps your upload to github is incomplete?

I do not see the code for (5) More Luxuries (at all), or the modbuddy solution file for CSD for CBP.

Well that's a pity there is no way to merge another repo's commit. Ironic you just demonstrated the very reason I asked if this can be done.

Spoiler :
Commits on Mar 31, 2016
@whoward69
v80
whoward69 committed 5 days ago

I am also getting this building the CBP:
Code:
------ Build started: Project: Community Balance Patch, Configuration: Default x86 ------
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Firaxis\ModBuddy\Civ5Mod.targets(76,9): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "Art\Icons\Austria.ggxml" because it was not found.

This building the CP:
Code:
------ Build started: Project: Community Patch, Configuration: Default x86 ------
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Firaxis\ModBuddy\Civ5Mod.targets(76,9): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "Core Files\CoreLua\EventChoice.mp3" because it was not found.
EDIT: Oh I notice other files also missing from the same folder. Perhaps your upload to github is incomplete?

I do not see the code for (5) More Luxuries (at all), or the modbuddy solution file for CSD for CBP.

Automatic merges are a bad, bad idea. They will break everything. Please don't try it. Manual merging with Winmerge (or thereabouts) is the only feasible method when bringing non CP DLLs into the CP.

I'll add the MP3 to github repo.

Is there any plan to have a version incorporating Whoward's DLL's with 36/43/62 Major Civilizations?

No problems if there isn't - not a request (or demand), just a question. :)

Trying to build the DLL as it exists today, loaded in VS 2010. Getting these errors

Error 2 error C2065: 'gStackWalker' : undeclared identifier C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvRandom.cpp 121 1 CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2
Error 3 error C2228: left of '.SetLog' must have class/struct/union C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvRandom.cpp 121 1 CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2
Error 4 error C2065: 'gStackWalker' : undeclared identifier C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvRandom.cpp 122 1 CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2
Error 5 error C2228: left of '.ShowCallstack' must have class/struct/union C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvRandom.cpp 122 1 CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2

Any thoughts?

Trying to build the DLL as it exists today, loaded in VS 2010. Getting these errors

Error 2 error C2065: 'gStackWalker' : undeclared identifier C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvRandom.cpp 121 1 CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2
Error 3 error C2228: left of '.SetLog' must have class/struct/union C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvRandom.cpp 121 1 CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2
Error 4 error C2065: 'gStackWalker' : undeclared identifier C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvRandom.cpp 122 1 CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2
Error 5 error C2228: left of '.ShowCallstack' must have class/struct/union C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvRandom.cpp 122 1 CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2

Any thoughts?
Sounds like you are missing the stackwalker element from ilteroi's set. Also the current repo has a 2013 version, I'd recommend upping to VS 2013 and using that.

Errors using VS 2013 - I think the problem is I can't upgrade it when it asks. So I need to re-clone it, then choose cancel when it asks me to upgrade.

Warning 1 warning C4996: 'GetVersionExA': was declared deprecated C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\stackwalker\StackWalker.cpp 1341 1 VoxPopuli
Warning 2 warning LNK4075: ignoring '/INCREMENTAL' due to '/LTCG' specification C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\LINK VoxPopuli
Error 3 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) void __cdecl std::_Throw(class stdext::exception const &)" (__imp_?_Throw@std@@YAXABVexception@stdext@@@Z) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvWorldBuilderMapWin32.lib(CvWorldBuilderMap.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 4 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) protected: char const * __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::_Myptr(void)const " (__imp_?_Myptr@?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@IBEPBDXZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvWorldBuilderMapWin32.lib(CvWorldBuilderMap.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 5 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> > & __thiscall std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >::operator=(wchar_t const *)" (__imp_??4?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@QAEAAV01@PB_W@Z) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvGameCoreDLLUtilWin32.lib(CvStringUtils.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 6 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >(void)" (__imp_??0?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@QAE@XZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvGameCoreDLLUtilWin32.lib(CvStringUtils.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 7 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: unsigned int __thiscall std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >::size(void)const " (__imp_?size@?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@QBEIXZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\CvGameCoreDLLUtilWin32.lib(CvStringUtils.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 8 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: unsigned int __thiscall std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >::size(void)const " (__imp_?size@?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@QBEIXZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\FireWorksWin32.lib(FDataStream.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 9 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) protected: wchar_t const * __thiscall std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >::_Myptr(void)const " (__imp_?_Myptr@?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@IBEPB_WXZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\FireWorksWin32.lib(FDataStream.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 10 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> > & __thiscall std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >::assign(wchar_t const *,unsigned int)" (__imp_?assign@?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@QAEAAV12@PB_WI@Z) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\FireWorksWin32.lib(FDataStream.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 11 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: wchar_t const * __thiscall std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >::data(void)const " (__imp_?data@?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@QBEPB_WXZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\FireWorksWin32.lib(FDataStream.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 12 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >::clear(void)" (__imp_?clear@?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@QAEXXZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\FireWorksWin32.lib(FDataStream.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 13 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: char const * __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::data(void)const " (__imp_?data@?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QBEPBDXZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\FireWorksWin32.lib(FDataStream.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 14 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::push_back(char)" (__imp_?push_back@?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAEXD@Z) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\FireWorksWin32.lib(FStlContainerSerialization.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 15 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class std::_String_const_iterator<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::end(void)const " (__imp_?end@?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QBE?AV?$_String_const_iterator@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@2@XZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\FireWorksWin32.lib(FStlContainerSerialization.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 16 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class std::_String_const_iterator<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::begin(void)const " (__imp_?begin@?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QBE?AV?$_String_const_iterator@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@2@XZ) C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2\FireWorksWin32.lib(FStlContainerSerialization.obj) VoxPopuli
Error 17 error LNK1120: 13 unresolved externals C:\Users\q\Documents\GitHub\Community-Patch-DLL\\BuildOutput\Debug\CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll VoxPopuli

Top Bottom