How to bypass the stupid launcher

4. Insert the following line as is, with the quotes and the %command%, but using your custom path:
"C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe" %command%
What is the custom command that you use for Civ 5?

Last edited:
Strangely enough, I haven't seen these time consuming adds in CIV?

I start the game and there are a couple of fly-by screens and I am the start of creating a new game.

I DID have the experience in some other games, but I took a walk to the garage and had a smoke.
I come back and was at the start screen, no big deal.

Btw, if I didn't smoke, I would eat a carrot instead.

The launcher closed and the game isn’t running, but Steam says the game is still running. What’s going on?
  • This may happen if the launcher is not able to properly shutdown. You may need to manually end a couple of Windows processes.
  • Open Windows Task Manager.
  • Find the processes called "QtWebEnginerProcess.exe."
  • Select each of these processes and click the End Process button.
@Archon_Wing
Unbelievable, Firaxis even acknowledges that the launcher is broken.
https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011935293

By the way, this conversation is in other places on the forums.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/do-you-like-new-launcher.638660/

As well as an ongoing debate on steamcommunity ofc.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/CivilizationV/announcements/detail/3411935656349200703

Last edited:
The launcher is a 2k “innovation”, not Firaxis. The FAQs/acknowledgement you linked is from 2k.

We could be magnanimous and speculate that, in fact, Firaxis left a backdoor open for those of us who want to bypass it... let's hope it stays open.

Big thanks for solution to disable this rubbish.

Last edited:
I was like what is he talking about. I have had it disabled for so long I forgot it even existed.

I don't see any reason to ever use the launcher, you are wasting your own time.

It can cause performance issues apparently. I caught it using 10 gb of ram after I closed it.

Well, good reason to remove it.

As always, pretty impressed with people willing to defend any kind of garbage our overlords put out.

Is Civ6 the source of these qtwebengine process programs? Because even after I close down civ6 and steam I still have 2 qtwebengine processes running in task manager. I had this problem once before on a large map, but I seem to be getting it continuously all day today as I load various games. I've closed down Civ6/steam several times already. It doesn't eat all my ram though, but all my processing power. 100% CPU usage. When that happens the game won't load games or process turns and usually crashes.

I admit I didn't have problems with this launcher before, and prefer it over the old one. But if this is the source of this problem, it has to go. It's a bug at this point.

edit: I manually closed down both processes in task manager and was finally able to load a game.

Last edited:
Does this still works? I get an error message saying sth like path not found, and i triple checked every letter. I also tried launching from the target folder and it gives me the launcher still.

You might have to change the path. For example, on my computer it isn't

"C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe" %command%

Instead it's

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe" %command%

Look through your folders and see where it's installed.

To be honest, I didn't even notice the ads. But what I did notice was my game freezing periodically - mouse quit moving, etc. - for several seconds. The Qtwebengine process was running three time and using about 45-50% of the CPU while I was trying to play the game. I disabled it [all three instances], and the freezing problem stopped immediately. thanks for the opening post. I will try that and see if it takes care of my problems. This just started happening last week on my machine, although I've been using the launchpad start and liked being able to just click on the DX 12 button. Don't know why I didn't have problems until just last week.

Don't know why I didn't have problems until just last week.

Strangely my problems went away. I never did any "fixes", just ran the game from launcher like usual. It only seems to do the qtwebengine process problem occasionally. In my case it used up all my CPU power and would freeze up my game and crash in between turns. Running a new CPU/computer now, haven't had a chance to get it running yet and test, my internet is fairly slow.

To be honest, I didn't even notice the ads. But what I did notice was my game freezing periodically - mouse quit moving, etc. - for several seconds. The Qtwebengine process was running three time and using about 45-50% of the CPU while I was trying to play the game. I disabled it [all three instances], and the freezing problem stopped immediately. thanks for the opening post. I will try that and see if it takes care of my problems. This just started happening last week on my machine, although I've been using the launchpad start and liked being able to just click on the DX 12 button. Don't know why I didn't have problems until just last week.

Qtwebengine is used by the STUPID launcher to render web content within the launcher's window. The launcher is the culprit of your problems. Just bypass the stupid launcher and you will have no issues.

https://wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine

FYI using the above command causes stuttering issues in my diplomacy screens for some reason. I really have no idea why it would reduce frame rate in diplomacy screens. Removing the line fixes it. I only did that line thinking the launcher was causing my extreme slow downs. Turns out the extreme slow downs were caused by loading a lot of old games into my hall of fame. Deleting hall of fame fixed that issue.

@Disgustipated : my diplo screens run smoothly, no problems. I don't think this bypass command has anything to do with your stuttering, confirmation bias perhaps?

Did you let your Windows 10 update to the latest? The last update is known to break gaming performance across the board. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom