How to bypass the stupid launcher

Ever since GS’s been released, the launcher doesn’t start, when I press Play in Steam window, the game starts directly.
Edit. I had problems starting a game, so I opted out of betas, etc. And was pleseantly surprised by that.

@Disgustipated : my diplo screens run smoothly, no problems. I don't think this bypass command has anything to do with your stuttering, confirmation bias perhaps

Definitely. The problem started soon as I put that line in, and went away soon as I removed it. Game runs smooth again.

Ok, so I added that %command% now I can't get rid of it. I deleted it from the line but Steam still thinks it is still there and keeps asking me if I want to run the game with the command. I given up trying to start the game while bypassing the launcher. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game to no avail.

I don't see it as odd - though I understand why you might think it is. Throughout my day to day life I am bombarded by advertising and marketing which neither interests or attracts me. Often it is ugly. It is rarely entertaining. Outside of my home I have very little control over it - it is everywhere I look. Personally (and I admit this is a personal thing) it is a symptom of one of the very worst aspects of late twentieth / early twenty first century Western society. In my own home, I can choose not to encounter it. I can use adblocks on my browser. I can avoid TV. And I used to be able to play games which launched without any surplus marketing bull. Unfortunately that is no longer the case. I encounter marketing launchers on most games I play (including ESO) and it annoys me. Sure, there are plenty of other far more horrific things happening in the world right now, ranging from multiple wars, to Brexit to global warming. But in a way, this all-pervasive marketing stream is for me just a symptom of the dysfunctions that create the larger issues. I don't like them doing it.
Bottom line, like someone up the thread mentioned -I've paid for the game. I didn't give them permission to market to me. I don't want to see their marketing. End of story. So I'm very happy the OP made this post and I will get to launch the game without it.

agree on all points there, fantastic post. thanks so much to the OP, I absolutely loath the extra menus and them wasting my time.

FYI using the above command causes stuttering issues in my diplomacy screens for some reason. I really have no idea why it would reduce frame rate in diplomacy screens. Removing the line fixes it. I only did that line thinking the launcher was causing my extreme slow downs. Turns out the extreme slow downs were caused by loading a lot of old games into my hall of fame. Deleting hall of fame fixed that issue.

I have a theory. You didn't redirect it do DX12 Civ, but rather to DX11 Civ (see opening post), which performs worse. Could be the culprit, if not them I am out of ideas :)

Last edited:
My game wont launch so i tried this workaround. I got this error.

Help!

upload_2020-5-23_7-48-21.png

Last edited:
My game wont launch so i tried this workaround. I got this error.

Help!

I have a feeling that you DIDNT'T install steam on your C: disk. IS it possible you'd have installed it on a D: disk ?

Also; I'm not totally sure, but I think the line given by Gedemon expects you to have Windows 64 bits installed. Is that what you have ? if not, maybe you need to take out the "(x86)" in his line ? Unfortunately, I'm not a super expert, maybe a real one could chime in on this ?

It looks like the launcher text is wrong as there is an extra "C:\Program" at the end there?

Mine is exactly this, quotes included. This will get you DX12 from the default install location.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%

Hi guys,

Is there a way to incorporate that into the steam command line launch flags?

for example, I have
steam -login <username> <password> -applaunch 289070

But when I do:
steam -login <username> <password> -applaunch 289070 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%

It doesn't skip launcher. Any way it possible to do the same thing through command line?

Thanks!

I'm gonna necro this thread by pointing out two things: first, this is just useful; second, yeah it is just one extra click, but if you're like my and you typically take one or two turns a day via play-by-cloud, being able to launch directly into the PBC save from the steam interface is very handy. I'll typically click to take my turn and then go make a cup of tea while the game/save loads up. Without this, you have to wait for the launcher to show up and then it loads into the save.

Is it a huge time sink? No, it takes just a couple of seconds to load up the launcher but it's still nice and useful to be able to directly go to the save from the steam interface.

Did not care for the older launcher, it was so natural I did not even notice it was a launcher but this new one is weird.

After all these years, can we get a step-by-step summary of what to do to bypass the launcher in NFP? Ideally by someone smarter than me?:crazyeye:

After all these years, can we get a step-by-step summary of what to do to bypass the launcher in NFP? Ideally by someone smarter than me?:crazyeye:
Isn't that what the OP does? The procedure's stayed the same for years.

Btw, NFP is just a collection of separate DLCs under a collective banner. There's nothing that ties them together like an all-encompassing framework that you see with the expansion rulesets (other than being able to purchase them in total as a season pass) .

Isn't that what the OP does? The procedure's stayed the same for years.

Btw, NFP is just a collection of separate DLCs under a collective banner. There's nothing that ties them together like an all-encompassing framework that you see with the expansion rulesets (other than being able to purchase them in total as a season pass) .
Ah. My mistake. I saw the OP, but on page 3 I saw some issues occurring, and I knew the launcher now is not the same launcher from years ago, so I thought that the launcher update had changed the procedure. Sorry!

Guys lol calm down. Ive been play civ 6 off and on since launch and i dont even know what ads youre talking about. At all.

Ads are part of it. How do you think you even found out about civ ×? How did find out about other cool game ×?

People are flying off the handle about orsan wells ads crawling through your ears while you sleep. What % of the cool stuff you own came from an ad?

If i gave you 10 mil to make a successful game to put bread on the table would you put out some ads? Ok then

but this new one is weird.

Agreed. I don't like the click/chunk sound it makes when you select something. It's just not very smooth. It's functional, but not very pretty.

How do you think you even found out about civ ×? How did find out about other cool game ×?
forum, newsfeed.

but the issue for me is not the ads, it's the additional loading time and additional actions required without any benefits.

Top Bottom