How to copy civ 4 onto a usb drive to play on a laptop

8ball19772

Chieftain
I have civ 4 installed on a old pc running windows xp.I wanted to know how I could backup civ on a usb drive and put it on a laptop.I want to do this without buying civ 4 beyond the sword on Steam.The original Pc disk i have won't install on windows 10 it gets about halfway installed then stops then has a error, d:\data2.cab data error (cyclic redundancy check). I think my disk is bad and really don't want to buy another disk.The windows XP pc is a desktop and is still running and i can play civ 4 on that but i want to transfer civ 4 on a laptop.

I can't speak for CIV4 but I know that the vast majority of programs I have ever used (and being a programmer that's a long list indeed) work just fine if you take the entire folder the program is in and just copy it to another PC. Installation is in most cases just a fancy copy paste machine that unzips the .cab files from the disk and copies the stuff to where ever you put it. And whilst I can't say that it will or won't work for CIV4 I do not believe it can harm your system to try.

This said, if you are switching over from an old XP machine to something new I would advise you to just buy a new PC instead of a laptop so that you can reuse the old hard drive. I did that every time I upgraded my PC over the years and I've newer had to reinstall anything. Well almost anything anyway.

I can't speak for CIV4 but I know that the vast majority of programs I have ever used (and being a programmer that's a long list indeed) work just fine if you take the entire folder the program is in and just copy it to another PC. Installation is in most cases just a fancy copy paste machine that unzips the .cab files from the disk and copies the stuff to where ever you put it. And whilst I can't say that it will or won't work for CIV4 I do not believe it can harm your system to try.

This said, if you are switching over from an old XP machine to something new I would advise you to just buy a new PC instead of a laptop so that you can reuse the old hard drive. I did that every time I upgraded my PC over the years and I've newer had to reinstall anything. Well almost anything anyway.
I have Raid 0 on that pc that has civ 4 on it, i think the reason it is not working is it has copy protection on it.

I have Raid 0 on that pc that has civ 4 on it, i think the reason it is not working is it has copy protection on it.
Civ4 BTS does not have any copy protection since patch 3.19. And if you don't have that version you should just buy it new on GOG because that's both the definitive version of the game and it's the one compatible with all the mods. So either way copy protection should not be an issue.

Top Bottom