How to disable favourite religion for all leaders?

Unless it has been changed, the AI will only adopt their favorite religion no matter how many they get. Not having a religion is very bad for almost everything, production, commerce, et al.
If that's the case, then we need to improve the AI a bit on that - I tried doing some improvements in that area a number of years back but was kinda crappy at programming and couldn't get it to compile so I commented out what I was trying to do - probably comments have been erased since then but maybe soon I can take another look at it. That said, some earlier AI versions would adopt a non-favorite religion but then if they GOT access to their favorite - and weren't TOO invested into the one they had adopted in the meantime - they'd make the switch. I'm not sure how they behave right now.

National religious strategy does seem to be a place we could greatly improve on for the AI overall. Original Civ IV (not even BtS) Vanilla was better at it than our AI is currently.

If that's the case, then we need to improve the AI a bit on that - I tried doing some improvements in that area a number of years back but was kinda crappy at programming and couldn't get it to compile so I commented out what I was trying to do - probably comments have been erased since then but maybe soon I can take another look at it. That said, some earlier AI versions would adopt a non-favorite religion but then if they GOT access to their favorite - and weren't TOO invested into the one they had adopted in the meantime - they'd make the switch. I'm not sure how they behave right now.

National religious strategy does seem to be a place we could greatly improve on for the AI overall. Original Civ IV (not even BtS) Vanilla was better at it than our AI is currently.
I think what DH says may apply up until Industrial. Some civs in Industrial or Modern move to No State Religion. My tech leader Willem of Brazil surprised me by then going to newly-founded Cao Dai, suggesting that the lure of "no religion other than the favourite" was well and truly overcome by this stage.

What is the status of this? Did I imagine there was a BUG option but it's been removed?

It really annoys me when a "wandering man" arrives with a Religion from a CIV I won't meet for thousands of years. The whole "favourite religion" thing seems to go against the spirit of "what if?" that makes Civ fun

Top Bottom