1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How to launch the ingame worldbuilder

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by Gedemon, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Piruparka

Piruparka Chieftain

I placed specific ones for creating a Europe scenario. Keep in mind though that you may not exceed the respective maximum of the map size, it's 12 for standard I believe. It took me a while to figure out that was why my game used to crash when I falsely thought 16 CS was the correct number for a standard sized map.

2. ArcticOcean

ArcticOcean Chieftain

Thanks to all your help, i just released my first map:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/middle-east.608529/#post-14619601

I just realized it's missing goody huts though. I might have to check how to add them later.

Another question:
    Is there any reason I have to create a new ruleset or could I use MapDomainOverrides like the standard earth map is doing so instead?

3. hongyu20

hongyu20 Chieftain

Hi , I tried to create a map with using the TZ method , I managed to edit the Earth Map a bit , used the TZ method , enabled TZ in additional content , but I coul not find a TZ ruleset ,could someone help ? Thanks a lot ,

4. VladNyk 14/88

VladNyk 14/88 Chieftain

So i can make map of the World at 800 AD, for example?

5. BlackEmperor

BlackEmperor Chieftain

I suppose there's no way to get the Civ 5 SDK without owning Civ 5? I don't really want to buy the game just to gain access to the SDK for Firetuner.

6. Goraxes

Goraxes Chieftain

This is Amazing, I will be doing this soon! I am wanting to use this to create an RPG Map. Is there a way to export the Maps in picture format? I would love one that is all Fog of War, one that is all open with no fog of war, and one with Resources shown.

Can anyone think of a way to do it?

-- Goraxes

7. BlackEmperor

BlackEmperor Chieftain

Did anyone experience crashes during the loading screen? If yes, what was the problem? My recent map does exactly that and the log files are no help at all.
    The map is not finished yet, I just wanted to test it out halfway through. Player position is set, so are 8 pre-defined AI leaders. Upper and lower edges of the map are covered by ice. I had several city-states on the map, but removed them as I suspected them to be a source of the crash. All starting positions have sufficient land around them. I really have no idea what the problem is, I didn't really do anything different than in my first map, which works fine.

8. BlackEmperor

BlackEmperor Chieftain

Okay, I did the map from scratch using an already working map as a base and checked it in-game after every island I created.
    Apparently, when you have a river that splits into two, joins back together into a single source further inland and then has another source lead into that river, the game crashes. Such a minor thing that breaks the whole map...

9. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Chieftain

Wow...how did you discover that?

10. BlackEmperor

BlackEmperor Chieftain

The map I'm creating is an Island style map, so after I finished each island, I booted up the map to see if it loads. When I finished the island that had this river system and tested the game, it crashed, so I took a backup map file and did things step by step (first basic terrain, check, then features, check, then special occurances like the natural wonder I placed there and a lake, check, finally rivers and cliffs). When I got to the river part, I already suspected it to be the cause because of the complexity of the river, so I played around with it and when I cut one of the connections of the river, the map loaded. For reference, I made screenshots of parts of the map and cropped out the river in its state that caused the crash.
    Spoiler :
    buggy river.png

As you can see, there are two sources (one next to the stone resource and one to the right of it near the bananas). Removing the connecting part between the two river sources (so their only connection would be the one near the mouth at the dyes resource) fixed it.
    By the way, I also noticed that if a single river splits in two, it causes a weird flow of direction (e.g. a river having two mouths would cause the water to flow from one mouth to the other, causing a weird shape of the whole river). This might explain the crash, since a river like the one I posted above might lead to a closed loop, which the game wouldn't be able to handle I suppose.

Craig_Sutter likes this.
  11. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Chieftain

Great explanation! I think this is very useful as it must crop up in map making often.

12. Mantarys

Mantarys Chieftain

Hi all. I'm just having a go at making a map from scratch using the World Builder... does anyone know how to place the Great Barrier Reef and Galapagos Islands? I can't seem to figure out the combination of tiles required to get the World Builder to accept them.

13. BlackEmperor

BlackEmperor Chieftain

Had issues with them as well. The problem was Ice tiles being "too close" to them, but I guess the definition of "too close" was up for interpretation. You have two options, remove all Ice tiles and place the wonders, then place the ice again or go into Features.xml and remove both entries for the wonders from the <Feature_NotNearFeatures> table. Since that might cause the wonders to appear near ice when generating a standard map, you might just comment the entries out (using <!-- --> around them) and put them back to work after you finished your map (or whenever you want to generate a standard game). You could also create a mod instead of altering the game files directly, might be a better idea perhaps.
    It could however happen that the Great Barrier Reef is removed if you leave the entries as they are and put the ice back on the map. At least that happened for me (the Galapagos Islands stayed though). You'll only notice that when playing the map or reloading it in World Builder.

14. Mantarys

Mantarys Chieftain

Thanks for explaining that. My map has quite a bit of ice so that's definitely the problem. I did try commenting out those lines in Features.xml, but I still had the same placement issues for some reason, even after reloading the game and starting a new map. It seems that even on the tiniest map it didn't want ice within 15 tiles or so when placing Galapagos/Great Barrier Reef. Will look into the mod option once I've finished the map, hopefully that will sort it out.

15. lafittejean

lafittejean Chieftain

Does anyone know how you set up continents in Worldbuilder. Can't seem to find the button for it.

16. vonJahgmann

vonJahgmann Chieftain

Gedemon --- thank you for starting this excellent thread. Very appreciated and I wish I stumbled upon it earlier.

17. snoochems

snoochems Chieftain

I'm not having any luck with this. I create a random default map in the world builder and without making any changes, save it as TZ.

I load it, and the game crashes.

I do the same thing again, this time removing all CS's and reducing the civs to two.

I load it, game crashes.

18. JohnCJR

JohnCJR Chieftain

I know this is an old post but just wanted to say thank you. This worked perfect along with another tip from someone else to activate the world builder through the additional content button. I was able to create a simple map and then play it by following your instructions. Great work.

19. vonJahgmann

vonJahgmann Chieftain

Can you elaborate on what activate the world builder through the additional content button specifically means? Wondering if I am being dense and haven't found the magic button, or if it the same thing as Gedemon's steps 7 and 8 the same thing, or if it's something different but related to my Dev Assets problem.
    1. open AppOptions.txt in "\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI"
    2. find the "EnableTuner 0" line and replace it by "EnableTuner 1"
    3. launch the civ5 firetuner and the civ6 game
    4. go in the "additional content" menu in game
    5. select the "mods" context in the firetuner
    6. type "OnWorldBuilder()" in the firetuner invite then press enter
    7. choose "new map" or "load map" in civ6
    8. select "LOC_MAP_WORLDBUILDER" in the map list for a blank map and start game
    Now that we have the Civ6 Dev Tools, I can just launch the Civ6 FireTuner (instead of the Civ5 version).

I have been able to install the Dev Tools, but the Dev Assets appear to have only partially installed --- I have files but get an error if I try to launch the Civ6 Dev Assets via the the icons (or via Steam directly). More details and screenshots are available here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...valid-app-configuration.611872/#post-14684928

Thanks!

20. BlackEmperor

BlackEmperor Chieftain

See the following post:

Basically makes the World Builder button appear in Additional Content, which will directly lead you to step 7.

vonJahgmann and JohnCJR like this.