1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How To: Make Leaderheads! Ekmek's Guide

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by Ekmek, Mar 12, 2008.

1. hockeyrox38

hockeyrox38 Chieftain

I believe I installed it in the same folder as you did, except to play civ on my netbook, you need to make a few changes to CivilizationIV.ini. But it might just be that after installing blender and/or python i just need to restart my comp, which usually puts things back in order.

2. Justin 12345

Justin 12345 Chieftain

error when exporting? something about not weighing parts?

3. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

See Unweighted Verticles section page 46.

4. Justin 12345

Justin 12345 Chieftain

okay i got that, now i did the nifskope crap and saved it as the original nif and put in the custom assets and it wont load in game, but it loads in nif skope fine

5. Justin 12345

Justin 12345 Chieftain

anybody know? ^^

6. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

7. Justin 12345

Justin 12345 Chieftain

yes i did xml
    nif is leonidas
    blend is leo helm....what im trying to do is put Pericles's helm on Leonidas.
    Also all the sudden my blends show up purple and i can only import a nif if i load a blend and hit new then import, and the nifs are black

8. Justin 12345

Justin 12345 Chieftain

here u go

Attached Files:

9. tchristensen

tchristensen Emperor

Today I started messing around with the idea of changing and adding some new leaderheads and found this wonderful walk-through by Ekmek.

I had a bit of trouble getting all the various pieces of the puzzle, because it appears the links in the PDF you provided didn't work. I did eventually find them by searching for their names. I downloaded each and installed them without a problem.

I am trying to go through his tutorial (in the PDF), but keeping hitting a snag where the Blender tool gives me this error: attributeError' 'NiTriShape' object has no attribute 'isSkin'.

Does anyone now how to resolve this or now of some kind of trick?

EDIT: I'M RELOADING ALL PROGRAMS, PERHAPS THAT WILL WORK.

10. Nitram15

Nitram15 Pro Libertate!

Which version of Nif Scripts do you have? I prefer the newest, or 2.4.10 that was a good version. :)

11. tchristensen

tchristensen Emperor

I am at work now, but I had to download it from poking around on the net and thought I grabbed 2.4.10?

I think what I will try and do when I get home is uninstall each and then re-install the exact versions that Ekmek described in the exact order he listed them.

That will be my first step.

EDIT: It worked!! It's amazing what you can do if you just follow instructions:D

12. Nitram15

Nitram15 Pro Libertate!

Good to see you did it. :)

13. tchristensen

tchristensen Emperor

Yes, I did finally get into it last night and was surprised at how difficult the process is. No doubt the more you use the controls, the easier it becomes.

My concept for modding is always the "Bang for the Buck" model; that is go for the biggest bang for the small amount of investment (buck). It seems like leaderheads require a tremendous amount of work for something you may look at for a couple of minutes during the entire course of the game. I am so impressed what others have done -- the models are just awesome.

My mod uses just static heads since to me the animation is so much overhead (no pun intended), I am wondering if there is any other program out there that can create and modify static heads requiring less work?

I do have access to photoshop, but often the changes I make look a bit forced. any other ideas?

14. Nitram15

Nitram15 Pro Libertate!

Well, NifSkope is an editor too, but it really hard, and more difficult, with less result. :( 3ds Max is another program, but that is not freeware, and it is more difficult to use so Blender is the best choice. Read some tutorial, start again, and again, and you'll learn it. I did it too, and to learn Blender and leaderhead editing was more than a month for me too.

15. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

I would not say that 3dsmax is harder then Blender. For me, it is aactually easier. There, I have 4 viewports (giving a view from the side, from above, from in front and in 3d - although this might be possible to adjust in Blender, too) making it easier to 'see' something (so where something actually is and to where you are moving it). Also, 3dsmax can be better controlled via mousethen Blender, while Blender is more focused on the keyboard (for example, I hate it to rotate the view via keyboard...). I really don't like the latter, but it might be a matter of taste. And yes, 3dsmax is quite expensive unless you have relations or luck or something. But you would need max 7 or 8 as newer versions don't work well with the nif plugins to my knowledge. Maybe you can find a cheap / used version somewhere.

16. techathon

techathon Member

You can have multiple veiwpoints in blender. Mine does you just have to right click in the corner between the button pannel ans 3D veiw and there is some option you push. (Not sure, Im tired and dont want to open blender

17. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

I've been tied down with RL hopefully i can get to it on a few days.

thx to everyone else for helping out too

18. techathon

techathon Member

I have a problem. The leader shows up in nifscope, but just as a floating beard during the game. Here is the In-game:

Spoiler :

Here is the Nifscope.

Spoiler :

PLEASE HELP! This makes me mad.

19. Justin 12345

Justin 12345 Chieftain

okay thanks

20. Triver

Triver Prince

Send me your LH please.

Ekmek. How to add env or env_gold texture? Please HELP!!!