[R&F] How to quick SV, share your view.

This is my issue also. I really have to slow myself down to play the map well.
Your map is nice but I am confused about Mainz... I would have settled it on the swamp
More importantly Cologne has desert with no pyramid and Kinchissa is not in rough ground and Kongo are weak early so I do not know why you have not attacked.... unless you are playing peacefully which is harder.
I also look at your troops, you should be chopping in your pyramid and having slingers left over, chopping in your plaza and having slingers left over... I do not recommend having 100 slingers... just 6 on deity maybe 1-2 less... but deity really needs 6. I see 3 warrior and an archer.

get 1 settler out, try and save gold for the second or for monument/s .. Did you sell open borders?

Most importantly it is 2 weeks until our world completely changes... maybe all of this will change also... but yes, this keeps us amused and happy to help out

As above and you said... agoge chop... 2 jobs at once... god of the forge would also speed this up. Use gold for settler/monument... even a granary sometimes, troops are 4x gold so not a good investment when they can be 0.5x with chop, less with magnus.

This is emperor difficulty, im not ready for a deity attempt yet although I have won a game on immortal. I didn't sell open borders. I'll provide the save for this map if you are interested. Its the same map the gamemechanic played in his Germany A-W. I can get the Mids on this map as there is a second location (no water) above Trier if I settle on the Gypsum. But I think Cologne would be better. There are quite a few forests both locations but more in Cologne. Where would you settle your first two cities?

And yes Im fully aware of the expansion and I am following it closely while really looking forward to it. I'm trying to improve my gameplay before it comes out.

Attachments

• FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save
    446.9 KB · Views: 191
  • FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 70 1240 BC.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
@i_imperator I will try and have a go now but am supposed to be working... my spouse will kill me if they find out. I will try and wipe out of my mind what I have seen on the map.
OK so before I start I am just getting in my mind I am playing with Fred. It is unlikely I will use many IZ but they are a nice cheap additional adjacency bonus.... more importantly in my head is the fact I can lay down a new city and immediately place both campus and theater. Also any CS nearby I do not like may be mine.

EDIT... OK just finished 25 turns @i_imperator... 7.5 culture which is not bad
upload_2019-1-29_14-33-39.png

Last edited:
@Victoria What was the opening, builder first or scout>settler? I was able to get a similar result to your first photo but on T26 and I got goddess of the harvest from a relic. Where would you go from here? Would you expand peacefully or war with kongo with the 3 warriors and 3 archers?

I played up to turn 46 too, managed to get the Mids and I have a small army ready to go for Kongo.

Attachments

• 20190129153641_1.jpg
    20190129153641_1.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
@i_imperator (I miss your old avatar) ... I really have to go back to work but here is a T67 save. I now have 6 cities and another settler will be made next turn in Aachen. Note I also have Oracle and Pyramids (Oracle creates huge amounts of great writers with Pingala)... I am planning the Coliseum roughly where the trader is, perhaps to the left a bit. I will probably go and get Stockholm back, hopefully as an emergency but need to take Mvemba a bit first... so will probably work on a knight army now for Stockholm and the Netherlands. You can see my cities all have districts placed but not built, not even Aachen got a campus in the end (no two games are the same despite what people say)... this is great chopping game for a science victory and I cannot see it getting past T160-70.
upload_2019-1-29_15-44-51.png

I went Builder Settler this game and bought a scout later.. Harvest!... you lucky person!... I would do the same as I have done now but at this stage you will be having 9 cities or nearly 9 and I would look at getting the feudalism inspiration through arms if Kongo does not give enough. I went builder first because it was an expensive start but 2 sheep times are quite a strong start once built and you have the stone for masonry eureka (had to buy the tile) Barbs swarmed a bit but I kept my cool with 3 warriors and they were pretty easy despite a few barb slingers. They never pillaged anything but did kill my trade route.

So ... if there was a culture CS I would be around 10 CPT BUT if I also did not have the local culture luxes I would have had to settle the culture wonder above but it really is not worth it unless I was going to fail getting a golden classic. I have 2 wonders because I chopped in slingers with Magnus there... Magnus should be being used with good planning and normally rather busy.

Also of note... which I used to be bad at. I sell open borders to everyone I meet the turn I meet them for 1 GPT, they always accept. I also sell all luxuries the moment I can, only for GPT unless they offer a bit more... I just bang it out and say how much?... its quite fast... I hate what the min/maxers do with messing round for every piece of gold and then declare war, feels wrong to me and takes too long... it's things like this that man I will never be that fast but I am happy with that.

With My Oracle theater starting with +4 adjacency and +5 when the campus is cut in and with my Coliseum getting about 8 cities my culture will soar. Get pingala promoted so he is also getting more GPP and writers will start flowing to push it to where you need it to be (no culture CS) So at feudalism I would cut in campus first as we need to land on the moon before Jesus is borm (early I mean) and to help I need a good coastal spot for Kilwa and a university ASAP which I can shop in with ship building.... you see that it is now you start planning everything... there is so much chop you may even be able to chop in a lot of rockets or at least half chop which speeds them up.(may not make a diff)

I recommend replaying the turns to try and get similar to what I did, it is through replaying we learn a lot. The trade route to Kongo sped up the attack a lot too, archer son those hills god rid of his UU which was great.... hopefully he has iron because I can only see one lump currently with a CS in the middle of everyone... yuk. I should be swapping to chariots now and slotting in the 50% cavalry card... not hard for Germany... remember... war until at least T100. 15-20 cities as fast as possible... 25or more even

Last edited:
@i_imperator (I miss your old avatar) ... I really have to go back to work but here is a T67 save. I now have 6 cities and another settler will be made next turn in Aachen. Note I also have Oracle and Pyramids (Oracle creates huge amounts of great writers with Pingala)... I am planning the Coliseum roughly where the trader is, perhaps to the left a bit. I will probably go and get Stockholm back, hopefully as an emergency but need to take Mvemba a bit first... so will probably work on a knight army now for Stockholm and the Netherlands. You can see my cities all have districts placed but not built, not even Aachen got a campus in the end (no two games are the same despite what people say)... this is great chopping game for a science victory and I cannot see it getting past T160-70.
View attachment 516156

I went Builder Settler this game and bought a scout later.. Harvest!... you lucky person!... I would do the same as I have done now but at this stage you will be having 9 cities or nearly 9 and I would look at getting the feudalism inspiration through arms if Kongo does not give enough. I went builder first because it was an expensive start but 2 sheep times are quite a strong start once built and you have the stone for masonry eureka (had to buy the tile) Barbs swarmed a bit but I kept my cool with 3 warriors and they were pretty easy despite a few barb slingers. They never pillaged anything but did kill my trade route.

So ... if there was a culture CS I would be around 10 CPT BUT if I also did not have the local culture luxes I would have had to settle the culture wonder above but it really is not worth it unless I was going to fail getting a golden classic. I have 2 wonders because I chopped in slingers with Magnus there... Magnus should be being used with good planning and normally rather busy.

Also of note... which I used to be bad at. I sell open borders to everyone I meet the turn I meet them for 1 GPT, they always accept. I also sell all luxuries the moment I can, only for GPT unless they offer a bit more... I just bang it out and say how much?... its quite fast... I hate what the min/maxers do with messing round for every piece of gold and then declare war, feels wrong to me and takes too long... it's things like this that man I will never be that fast but I am happy with that.

With My Oracle theater starting with +4 adjacency and +5 when the campus is cut in and with my Coliseum getting about 8 cities my culture will soar. Get pingala promoted so he is also getting more GPP and writers will start flowing to push it to where you need it to be (no culture CS) So at feudalism I would cut in campus first as we need to land on the moon before Jesus is borm (early I mean) and to help I need a good coastal spot for Kilwa and a university ASAP which I can shop in with ship building.... you see that it is now you start planning everything... there is so much chop you may even be able to chop in a lot of rockets or at least half chop which speeds them up.(may not make a diff)

I recommend replaying the turns to try and get similar to what I did, it is through replaying we learn a lot. The trade route to Kongo sped up the attack a lot too, archer son those hills god rid of his UU which was great.... hopefully he has iron because I can only see one lump currently with a CS in the middle of everyone... yuk. I should be swapping to chariots now and slotting in the 50% cavalry card... not hard for Germany... remember... war until at least T100. 15-20 cities as fast as possible... 25or more even

Fantastic writeup as always, this has helped my game and ive managed to play it a few times getting nearly 15 cities by turn 100. However my archer rush dose not go well and gets slowed down by loyalty. The first city you captured on turn 67 always seems to flip back and amani seems useless to do anything about it.

I am trying to Knight rush Poland too, however I get the knights out at turn 100 (I wait for the -50% discount card on upgrades) is this too late? Should I be attacking Poland on turn 80 instead?

Edit: Im not going to bother with an archer rush because every time I try the first city I take from Kongo immediately flips and then he gets his UU which is really tough to deal with. I'd be better off waiting for knights instead.

Last edited:
always seems to flip back and amani seems useless to do anything about it.
Flipping is fine, if I remember when I played it I just went on to the next city then came back afterward. Then as long as you are fairly fast the third city cements the loyalty... loyalty triangles I call em.
If a city is at -20 then there is normally not much you can do but move on and come back.. staying and retaking is fine but laves you in a limbo... with GS you will be able to pillage more in limbo so may be wirth staying there, it just will be boring

I am trying to Knight rush Poland too, however I get the knights out at turn 100 (I wait for the -50% discount card on upgrades) is this too late?
That depends on Poland. quite possible and Poland has their UU then. just be careful.
I just played GOTM56 and as quite often happens knights have a limited window, you then need to shift to cavalry or muskets (or frigates). I quite lik the natural progression of swords then knights then msukets then tanks... your beelining should never really stop, just change target

Flipping is fine, if I remember when I played it I just went on to the next city then came back afterward. Then as long as you are fairly fast the third city cements the loyalty... loyalty triangles I call em.
If a city is at -20 then there is normally not much you can do but move on and come back.. staying and retaking is fine but laves you in a limbo... with GS you will be able to pillage more in limbo so may be wirth staying there, it just will be boring

That depends on Poland. quite possible and Poland has their UU then. just be careful.
I just played GOTM56 and as quite often happens knights have a limited window, you then need to shift to cavalry or muskets (or frigates). I quite lik the natural progression of swords then knights then msukets then tanks... your beelining should never really stop, just change target

Good Advice! Ill keep that in mind when i'm conquering in future (and in gathering storm!). I was trying my best to conquer the city but I decided to wait for knights and build up my own empire first which helped a little. I got my knights around turn 80 because of this.

Here is a picture of my turn 100. 16 cities. I got Oracle and Mids. Just finished killing off Kongo and I could declare war on both Indonesia and the Dutch as they are warring with each other (The Dutch have 2 military strength! :lol::goodjob:

My question is should I continue warring and conquer Poland's 7 cities? Or peace out and build up? I notice that Brazil is also getting hammered by Scythica (whom I haven't met yet on this playthrough).

Attachments

• 20190203144936_1.jpg
    20190203144936_1.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 20190203144939_1.jpg
    20190203144939_1.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 238
should I continue warring and conquer Poland's 7 cities? Or peace out and build up?
So at this stage you should have laid your campuses in all cities and should be builder thrashing already to finish both libs and unis. You need to be keeping your eye on what GS come up and also when you should use them. You should have already decided where your rocket sites will be roughly and what wonders you need.
T80-120 is the busy time where you not only are finishing off conquering but planning and cutting in science. It is easy just to get distracted by the wargame.
How many cities you need is up to you, how many science CS is a big point, with 3 16 cities may be enough, 2 CS=20 1CS=24 0CS= don’t stop.
Only rough guides and do not forget you need a lot of gold.

I played the map to the finish for the first time. I conquered Kongo with Knights and Netherlands, however I had a DoF with the Netherlands and I had to wait for that to expire which slowed me down. I was able to get most of my libraries/uni's up by turn 120 and ended up with 3 Science CS and 22 cities. Launched the ship on turn 194. I'm disappointed with it as I thought I would be able to get it around turn 170 but it is sub 200.

Ill provide three saves one of the turn where I got my Knights and the other of the winning turn. I will also provide a save of turn 120 where I should have most of my science buildings up and running.

Attachments

• FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 194 1330 AD.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 188
  • FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 83 825 BC.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 190
  • FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 120 100 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Top Bottom