How to stop new cities from spawning as only "New" as name

dark_pretender

Warlord
I started renaming some captured cities that I plan to abandon later. (I like to settle the land in a CxCxC layout, once I reach the point where corruption forces me to turn new cities in corrupted land into scientist farms)

But since the AI has the bad habit of grabing any empty land even if its not good, I decided to keep some captured cities, even if they break with this CxCxC layout. But I plan to abandon them later once I have the setlers to plant on the right spots. So I started renaming this captured cities as "abandon later 1,2,3" etc thats the only different thing I did on this game.

I have reached the point where my cities now have names with the prefix "New" before the usual name "New Kabah, New palenque, New bla bla bla" (70 cities I think)

The game has stopped generating new names for the cities. Every time I try to plant a new City in the field to write the name of the City only the word "New" is there. So I need to manually write a name for my cities, and this is becoming annoying. Any way to fix this?

Im using C3C with flintlocks patch (last versión) And my game versión is the gog one.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this

You can enlarge the list of the city names in the civilizations registry of the biq for each civ with the editor. When doing this, take care that you don´t have any blank lines in that list, especially not at the end of that list, as this can trigger freezes of the game.

City Names.jpg

You can enlarge the list of the city names in the civilizations registry of the biq for each civ with the editor. When doing this, take care that you don´t have any blank lines in that list, especially not at the end of that list, as this can trigger freezes of the game.
Do you know, if the .biq is only modded in such minor ways (changes to the city/leader-lists, civ-colours etc.), will it still pass the checksum that tells the game .exe that a completed game can be added to the player's personal HoF (or submitted to CFC's HoF — not that there's much movement over there these days, AFAIK...)?

That is, is it only more extensive changes that will affect actual gameplay-outcomes (e.g. building-, terrain- and unit-statistics), which cause the .exe to treat the .biq as a "real" mod, and thus disallow those games for HoF-scoring purposes?

Do you know, if the .biq is only modded in such minor ways (changes to the city/leader-lists, civ-colours etc.), will it still pass the checksum that tells the game .exe that a completed game can be added to the player's personal HoF (or submitted to CFC's HoF — not that there's much movement over there these days, AFAIK...)?

Sorry, I never cared about the HoF, so I don´t can answer your question.

I also hate the "New blahblah" convention, which can roll over to "New New blahblah" if you create enough cities.

To postpone this, I will rename some of my early cities as soon as they are founded. "Iron City", "Spice Town", "Silk Town", based on a resource that they are near. If I'm filling up a patch of grassland as a science farm, I will rename each city there as "SciFarm01", "SciFarm02", and so on. Another quirk I have relates to when I need to raze an AI city -- usually because it had an unacceptable risk of flipping. If I burn down Elephantine or Pasgardae, my settler replaces them with "Elephantine Heights" or "Pasgardae Heights", to remind me (and the locals) what used to be there.
Sometimes I will pick a region and name every city there with the name of a town where I have lived.

Bottom line: by choosing your own name often enough in the early game, you can extend the life of the internal city lists to avoid "New Thebes", "New Paris", and the like.

Thank you very much for your advice, tbh I wouldnt like to mod my game even if it is just for this, but again thanks for this advice, ill have it mind

View attachment 625995

I also hate the "New blahblah" convention, which can roll over to "New New blahblah" if you create enough cities.

To postpone this, I will rename some of my early cities as soon as they are founded. "Iron City", "Spice Town", "Silk Town", based on a resource that they are near. If I'm filling up a patch of grassland as a science farm, I will rename each city there as "SciFarm01", "SciFarm02", and so on. Another quirk I have relates to when I need to raze an AI city -- usually because it had an unacceptable risk of flipping. If I burn down Elephantine or Pasgardae, my settler replaces them with "Elephantine Heights" or "Pasgardae Heights", to remind me (and the locals) what used to be there.
Sometimes I will pick a region and name every city there with the name of a town where I have lived.

Bottom line: by choosing your own name often enough in the early game, you can extend the life of the internal city lists to avoid "New Thebes", "New Paris", and the like.

I dont care about my citiees being called, "New whatever", then "New whatever 2" etc. but what bothers me is having to manually input a name for my new cities.

I have had games Where I have seen names like "New Whatever 3" "Whatever 3" and tbh I dont mind about it. but having to manually write the name of the cities its whats bugging me. I know this is a bug. Because the only thing I did different on this game was renaming those captured cities that I had planed to abandon Later, I have never had this problem in the past. But thats the only thing I did different in this game. Besides playing with the mayans (I usually go Iroquois)

Quick update.

Just in case someone stomps with this problem in the future.

I kinda followed Civinator advice, but instead of adding more cities I opened the biq file on the editor scrolled down and surprise surprise... there was a blank space. I deleted this blank space and my cities now are working fine.

I dont remember moding the game. so this is weird. but now its working I guess.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

I remember, we had this bug in one of the recent GOTM/COTM. After a while, when the original city name list was exhausted, every new city I found, simply got the name "New", and that's it...

It's unique to the Maya, as far as I'm aware.
Yeah, that could be right: COTM158, that just finished March 31st, was indeed a Maya game!

Top Bottom