HUMANKIND a Civ VI killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This HK hype is going a ridiculous levels... as if HK is a glorified messiah figure in 4x games. I don't have a doubt that HK will be a good game... BUT I don't think it will be a perfect game.

I don't think than the HK hype is that huge and at a ridiculous level, as we can see in the related reddit, civfanatics subforum or the official twitter. The community and poeple like me, hardly following the game are relatively small (I mean, in term of number). As for Old Worlds or some other 4X, most of poeple which are just enjoying 4X games, wait patiently the release without any crazy claim on the future of humankind.

The thread here and its "modest title" are really not a good indicator of what is a ridiculous level of hype, imo.

And, finally, a part of the poeple waiting for a perfect and a revolutionnary game with a high degree of fanaticism, happens for absolutly ALL unreleased games. (recently, the most shiny case, being cyberpunk). And honestly, it's really hard to give positive and constructive criticism for civ 6 outside of CivFanatics and the voice of the important and famous members of the community. (reddit is a mines field for exemple)

Frequently participating to the official Humankind channels, I rarely saw Humankind being glorified as you said, and mainly a lot of constructive criticism, and from a small amount of poeple.
Some of its features are just well received, as it should be, it would have been sad it if was not the case, and just a civ clone or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: j51
I agree with @Kupe Navigator - the hype really is at silly levels. This thread title being a prime example. On the subreddit and Discord server you routinely find people trashing civ and saying how much better Humankind will be (taking sides in a videogame fight is so silly) and of course here you have multiple members imprinting their hopes and dreams onto the game.

I’ve said it elsewhere but I think the fanatical hype is coming from a desire of a certain cohort of Civ fans who feel “betrayed” by the game and want Firaxis to be punished or something.

The normal, measured level of interest in the game, by contrast, is coming from people who just hope we have another good game to play.

I am myself chating frequently on their discord, and most of the poeple, as myself, as some of the Devs : are Civ players and some other members only played Amplitude games or really don't like civ 6. What did you expect ? It's rather common, even here.

Most recent chatting about civ were about how manage playing time between Humankind OpenDev and upcoming Civ 6 patch, and the hope they will not release too much in same time.

We are speaking about a game made by a way smaller team, with a way smaller budget, a small community (so a microcosm inside this community which expect maybe too much from the game), which was developed and will be released in a really difficult year.
And which anyway looks promising, at its own level.

The cohort of civ fans which feel betrayed by Firaxis existed way before Humankind, and will always exist at the release of Civ 7. Because, some don't accept than Civ 4, 5 and 6 are just different games.

How an hype could be at a silly level, if it is carried by a dozen poeple, just my thought.

The normal, measured level of interest in the game, by contrast, is coming from people who just hope we have another good game to play.

Totally agree. Really, this thread and its title here, is not representive of a rational way of thinking for videogames.

I don't think than the HK hype is that huge and at a ridiculous level, as we can see in the related reddit, civfanatics subforum or the official twitter. The community and poeple like me, hardly following the game are relatively small (I mean, in term of number). As for Old Worlds or some other 4X, most of poeple which are just enjoying 4X games, wait patiently the release without any crazy claim on the future of humankind.

The thread here and its "modest title" are really not a good indicator of what is a ridiculous level of hype, imo.

And, finally, a part of the poeple waiting for a perfect and a revolutionnary game with a high degree of fanaticism, happens for absolutly ALL unreleased games. (recently, the most shiny case, being cyberpunk). And honestly, it's really hard to give positive and constructive criticism for civ 6 outside of CivFanatics and the voice of the important and famous members of the community. (reddit is a mines field for exemple)

Frequently participating to the official Humankind channels, I rarely saw Humankind being glorified as you said, and mainly a lot of constructive criticism, and from a small amount of poeple.
Some of its features are just well received, as it should be, it would have been sad it if was not the case, and just a civ clone or whatever.
I do NOT think HK will be horrible game or will even fail. I do believe it will be excellent game. HOWEVER, having said that I think there will be certain things HK will do better in civ 6 but also there will be certain thing Civ 6 will do better than HK. HK will NOT be a heroic game that will save damaging state 4k games are in. It will be a good game that can serve as a competitor against civ series... but it will not be a flawless game.

Likely a Civ VI killer would be Civ VII, however based on history, new civ games don't tend to replace the older Civ games completely. Humankind do have some similarties with Civ VI but it is nowhere to the degree it would replace Civ VI, Lucy open dev did not feel like Civ VI or a civ game in general, it is far more like an endless legend successor with a historical theme instead of sci fi. I don't know exactly the game will be in the next open dev, except it should contain the same eras as Lucy open dev.

What some people don't understand is that the flaws of this franchise are rarely touched upon by casual players that don't play higher levels and don't mod or even know what those are. This is also why these problems haven't been fixed for years yet it continues to sell.

What people may find is a game that may suit them more, but it's nice to dream I guess. Just don't pass the dream off as fact.

This HK hype is going a ridiculous levels... as if HK is a glorified messiah figure in 4x games. I don't have a doubt that HK will be a good game... BUT I don't think it will be a perfect game.

Do not confuse hope with hype.

I can deal with huge disappointment. I pre-ordered Civ 6.

Oh, snap! You really made me laugh.

In any case, there are many things that HK does differently, and they might not be to everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I find it hard to go back to Civ VI after playing HK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom