Humankind Dev Diary #2

In the video we can see ranged units firing at the enemy from two-tiles distance.
I just hope this is properly balanced, otherwise the most obvious choice in warfare will be to spam archers and that's not funny at all.
In EL archers can do that as well. They are certainly strong in that game, but melt to their counters.

In EL archers can do that as well. They are certainly strong in that game, but melt to their counters.

Note also that when they are shown in the video, the archers are either firing from higher ground, like Cliff Tops, or from the front line. IF they are not allowed to hide behind good melee troops and shoot, then they should be very vulnerable to being charged and cut up in melee - the historical counter to archers was always to charge them.

Note also that when they are shown in the video, the archers are either firing from higher ground, like Cliff Tops, or from the front line. IF they are not allowed to hide behind good melee troops and shoot, then they should be very vulnerable to being charged and cut up in melee - the historical counter to archers was always to charge them.

To the point that one common use of archers was to harass the enemy line in an attempt to provoke them to charge, allowing your own close fighting troops to them engage them on more favourable terms after they're disordered or out of position.

I'm curious to see if Amplitude sticks with civ traditions, like tanks being melee units or if late game units all have at least some range.

I am afraid I have to yet again defer you to a nebulous "Later™" on the topic of combat in the later eras, or the balancing of ranged and melee troops.

No problem at all. Thanks for the communication, it's very refreshing compared to the radio silence treatment we are used around here. Even if you can't answer the specifics, you give us the respect of the answer.

So... can we expect more or less regular biweekly dev diaries or will they happen when they happen?

Top Bottom