Humankind - French discussion thread

After all, in gameplay terms, this is the beginning of the end where specialization should rule over "good-at-everything"-cultures.

I cannot see any reason why this should be true in Humankind (though it is certainly true in Civ because you are racing for one of several victory condition types). Remember, you are looking for most total stars, and stars will continue to require advancement in multiple different categories. In fact, specialization early actually has a benefit that it does not later: you can rush the next era by achieving quickly in a few categories.

How does the game end? Is it when any player would advance out of the final age? Because then specialization is useful near the end to let you cause the game to end...but only if you were winning! Do we know how the game ends?

We know than a possible way to end a game, is than one player finish the tech tree.

Remember, you are looking for most total stars, and stars will continue to require advancement in multiple different categories.

Actually it's fame. Stars is the main source, of course, but also come from deeds like finding a natural wonder, etc.

As a small nit, I question the characterization of the Cuirassiers as being "reckless". But I love them as an expression of the French military at this time.

They were high elan units who were feared and respected, but did not have a reputation for being impetuous, to my knowledge. "Bold" might have been a more apt descriptor. As in selecting them over the Imperial Guard or Foreign Legion was a "bold" choice by Amplitude, rather than a "reckless" one. :)

(and the sword is not straight) :mischief:

Nice catch! The saber looks normal in the hands of a cavalryman, so I didn't even notice. But you're right, cuirassiers in the Napoleonic era used straight swords. Supposedly held out in front of them for stabbing, like a lance, though I don't know if that usage is confirmed from original sources.

Nice catch! The saber looks normal in the hands of a cavalryman, so I didn't even notice. But you're right, cuirassiers in the Napoleonic era used straight swords. Supposedly held out in front of them for stabbing, like a lance, though I don't know if that usage is confirmed from original sources.

It is. The heavy straight Panzerbrecher (Armor Breaker) sword was standard for almost everybody's heavy cavalry in Europe, because held out straight with locked elbow you could use the momentum of the horse to punch right past a guard or though a heavy cloth or leather ("Buff") coat. Warnery's Thoughts on Cavalry (1754) describes its use, and John Elting's Swords Around the Throne, probably the best book in any language on Napoleon's Army (Elting taught military history at West Point and was president of the Napoleonic Society of historians in the USA), also talks about it.

Top Bottom