Humankind - Austro-Hungarians discussion thread

Hooray! Perfect Aesthete civ for the era. Splendid EU and EQ, love the card.

why they would include Wagner in the text remains a mystery when there would have been equally famous options that would have been far more Austrian (Mahler, Bruckner, Strauss, Strauss, and Strauss) or even Austrian-Hungarian (Bartok).

Politically speaking, it‘s a bit strange that you can choose between militaristic germans and the self-proclaimed „first victim of the nazis“ in this era as an aesthete alternative. This helps to manifest rather strange (and completely wrong) „Official“ narratives of history, which is kinda the wrong thing to do.

Last edited:
Espionage mechanic confirmed I guess.

Since we have Austria-Hungary in the game I guess we'll have to wait for an Austrian and Hungarian/Magyar (and a bunch of other Central European nationalities) culture in a future DLC ;)

And I guess that means no Argentines @Elhoim :sad:

why they would include Wagner in the text remains a mystery when there would have been equally famous options that would have been far more Austrian (Mahler, Bruckner?) or even Austrian-Hungarian (Bartok?).

Wagner is mentioned in the tweet :
"The Austro-Hungarian Empire was the crucible of new political, artistic and scientific thinking from key figures such as Freud, Wagner and Klimt."

Reactions: j51
Wagner is mentioned in the tweet :
"The Austro-Hungarian Empire was the crucible of new political, artistic and scientific thinking from key figures such as Freud, Wagner and Klimt."
Yes, and it’s a strange choice.

At first I was very surprised but on second thought, Austria-Hungary is a perfect choice for the Industrial Era. Maybe I just didn't think they would actually include it. So it's a very pleasant surprise!

Wonder how intelligence/espionage will work in this game if it's being done by military units (seems there won't be civilian units in this game so it makes sense).

Politically speaking, it‘s a bit strange that you can choose between militaristic germans and the self-proclaimed „first victim of the nazis“ in this era as an aesthete alternative. This helps to manifest rather strange (and completely wrong) „Official“ narratives of history, which is kinda the wrong thing to do.

hum industrial end in 1920 in humankind so it's okay no ?

why they would include Wagner in the text remains a mystery when there would have been equally famous options that would have been far more Austrian (Mahler, Bruckner?) or even Austrian-Hungarian (Bartok?).

I think this era is probably focused on the WW1 and prior.

hum industrial end in 1920 in humankind so it's okay no ?

I would think so. The Austrian Empire/Austro-Hungarians aren't the nation claiming to be Nazism's first victim. It's the ethnically German rump state of Austria that makes such a silly claim. The preceding empire was a strange multi-ethnic creature, even if dominated by a German speaking upper class and bourgeoisie: A failed experiment perhaps. A strange vestige of pre-Modern Europe that never-the-less intellectually gave birth to much of the Modern World.

so guys, do you like the Austro-Hungarians name ? Personally I enjoy the whole choices, the unit is unexpected, but looks really cool. (spy is really my sort of gameplay)
But I expected Austrians name, and a reference to the Empire with Hungarians in the EU or the EQ. Looks cleaner, as Poles, not being Poles-Lithuanians.

Maybe an argument to get medieval Lithuanians to go into Poles, and medieval Hungarians to go into Ottomans and after into Austrians ?

I would think so. The Austrian Empire/Austro-Hungarians aren't the nation claiming to be Nazism's first victim. It's the ethnically German rump state of Austria that makes such a silly claim. The preceding empire was a strange multi-ethnic creature, even if dominated by a German speaking upper class and bourgeoisie: A failed experiment perhaps. A strange vestige of pre-Modern Europe that never-the-less intellectually gave birth to much of the Modern World.
Sure, you are, of course, right. But it's a kind of fine-print argumentation compared to what's going on in Eastern Europe nowadays. Just look at what the completely-banana right wing nationalists of modern Austria and especially Hungary (and Poland, Serbia, Turkey, etc.) were doing in the last few years, what they claim, especially when it comes to history. They don't care for that the era ends in 1920 and is focused on fin de siècle and WW1 (is any of this confirmed by the way?). The ethnically german rump state is still the least bad of these, at least they dismantled their first victim altar in Auschwitz at some point after decades of complaints. The Hungarians are on the other hand still building monuments to pre-Trianon (happened 1920) where they claim to have been cheated out of 2/3 of their country (which is also the reason, they say, why they joined the axis in WWII).

That said, Austria-Hungary was a fascinating state. Best thing is that everybody was allowed to speak their own language in Parliament, in an era before simultaneous translation. And overall, I'm very positively surprised to have them included, I even hoped for it. It's just a little side-taste.

Last edited:
This is fascinating. Probably the boldest unit choice so far, how does it work? Do they deploy with your troops to help get info about the tactical map?

love it so far IMO. Already making me excited with the first Industrial culture!

Reactions: j51
This is fascinating. Probably the boldest unit choice so far, how does it work? Do they deploy with your troops to help get info about the tactical map?

love it so far IMO. Already making me excited with the first Industrial culture!

Maybe it's on the scout line?

Spies might just work like spies in EL, except that you use units instead of heroes.

Wonderful, Vunderbar, Wunnerful!
We can finally introduce into 4X Historical Gaming the old central European Political Saying:

"In Berlin, things might be Serious, but they were never Hopeless.
In Vienna, things might be Hopeless, but they were never Serious."

Looks cool and refreshing, though there are not enough trees in the picture. ;) I'm mostly curious how the Spy system will work.

But my prediction is that we will begin making lists of "60 more cultures" as soon as we have the full list. Cause the Austro-Hungarians kinda call for medieval Magyars and Early Modern Habsburgs as their introduction. There quite a few more of those slots open so we will fill the 60 quite fast :)

Top Bottom