Humankind - Austro-Hungarians discussion thread

I guess my Argentines prediction was wrong....so was the naming for this culture. Unit looks interesting and Aesthete seems to be a better fit for them than my guess of Merchant.
I'm expecting the British to show up next Tuesday.

That was surprising. I didn't expect them considering Germans seem to be in this era too.
Well I guess they are half Hungarian so it makes sense as I originally only had Austrians.

That was surprising. I didn't expect them considering Germans seem to be in this era too.
Well I guess they are half Hungarian so it makes sense as I originally only had Austrians.
Theory: Prussians are the industrial culture and Germans are the modern culture.

Theory: Prussians are the industrial culture and Germans are the modern culture.
What was said above. They already confirmed Germany is in Industrial. Plus the era goes to the year 1920 which would make Germans needed.

why they would include Wagner in the text remains a mystery when there would have been equally famous options that would have been far more Austrian (Mahler, Bruckner, Strauss, Strauss, and Strauss) or even Austrian-Hungarian (Bartok).

I wondered this too until I realised they mean Otto Wagner, the Austrian architect!

and the reference of the EQ, seems to simply be the Wiener Hofoper, even if the entrance looks different.

why they would include Wagner in the text remains a mystery
I wondered this too until I realised they mean Otto Wagner, the Austrian architect!
Uberfrog is correct, we are indeed referring to Otto Wagner.

But I expected Austrians name, and a reference to the Empire with Hungarians in the EU or the EQ.
I don't recall what it looks like, but our historian mentioned the city center will be based on some Hungarian buildings.

That's kinda the whole joke. People think of Austria, they think of Hitler and German-speaking state that wasn't allowed to join the rest of Germany and makes schnitzels.
But Austrian holdings and its inhabitants have always been highly diverse lands. And, funnily enough, the actual German-speaking parts making up about half of modern Austria were only acquired later.
Spoiler :

By the time of the WW1, a full Germanisation campaign later (which sparked a Hungarian rebellion and concession to the Kingdom of Hungary) followed by an intensive Hungarisation campaign to strengthen their own position in the state, the total number of people who said they were fluent in German and used it as their primary language in daily life came out at 12 million... in a state of 52 million. When polling both for Hungarian and German, they got 22 million, which is still not even a half of the whole place despite their best efforts up to that point.
So yeah, pinning post-medieval Austrians (which all of these people were) as just "Germans 2.0" doesn't really make much sense to me unless you're specifically making a culture/civ focused around the modern republic.

That's kinda the whole joke. People think of Austria, they think of Hitler and German-speaking state that wasn't allowed to join the rest of Germany and makes schnitzels.
But Austrian holdings and its inhabitants have always been highly diverse lands. And, funnily enough, the actual German-speaking parts making up about half of modern Austria were only acquired later.
Spoiler :

By the time of the WW1, a full Germanisation campaign later (which sparked a Hungarian rebellion and concession to the Kingdom of Hungary) followed by an intensive Hungarisation campaign to strengthen their own position in the state, the total number of people who said they were fluent in German and used it as their primary language in daily life came out at 12 million... in a state of 52 million. When polling both for Hungarian and German, they got 22 million, which is still not even a half of the whole place despite their best efforts up to that point.
So yeah, pinning post-medieval Austrians (which all of these people were) as just "Germans 2.0" doesn't really make much sense to me unless you're specifically making a culture/civ focused around the modern republic.
I agree with all of that.
My point was I originally had only Austria down as an Aesthete culture for this period, but when the Germans had been confirmed I didn't know if they would include both of them in the Industrial, as it seems to already be Europe heavy. :)
Germans would have made sense for me in Contemporary though.

Very happy to see my home included in the game. It happened partially with Civ, but not usually in the first tier. It's a rather curious construct, both Austria-Hungary and the HRE that came before it. Also satisfied with the implementation. There would generally be better choices in that era for industrial, agrarian, expansionist, military or scientific cultures. Though a lot of great scientists did come or eventually from the land. I wasn't that aware of spying being such a major thing in Austria (-Hungary), though Metternich did have quite the reputation of spy master. Maybe some unit around mountain warfare could have fit as well, but not sure how much of a role those actually played in history. Maybe during Napoleon's Northern Italy campaign or that front in WW I ... neither of which proved overly successful for Austria.

Finally, a brief, amusing quote to show the seeming internal contradictions of this chimera of a creature:
"It [Austria-Hungary] was liberal according to its constitution, but was ruled clerically. It was ruled clerically, but people lived liberally. All citizens were equal before the law. But not everyone was a citizen. There was a parliament that made such wide use of its freedom that it was usually kept closed; the was also an emergency article with which one could do without parliament. And every time everyone was cheerful about absolutism, the crown ordered government to be conducted by parliament again."

Top Bottom