Humankind Game by Amplitude

The video is talking about using their built-in options for creating an AI for a specific avatar, but did they say the AI will be fully *moddable*?

well, this feature focus video is just about the avatar of players, than we can share between us.

But there was a stream about modding too, and they said than AI will be modable.
Someone made a resume on reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/HumankindTheGame/comments/l2r0lw/modding_news/
And I guess there is the VOD of the live on youtube or twitch

There's also a poll for a dev made mod example that will be released alongside the game:

https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...tes/230-day-1-mod-theme?page=0#post-undefined

"As you know, we are putting extra efforts on modding for Humankind and we are planning to work on2 a "big" mod that will be available when the game launches. This mod will provide you with a good template of what can be achieved with our modding tools. So, while they are being developed, we need you to decide what it will be.

Of course, it won't be similar in scope to a full expansion. But we are working hard to push modding in Humankind further than what we offered with all our previous games.

This will be a multi-step process, and now we need you to cast your votes on the mod main theme."

Out of the 3, I voted sci-fi. I guess all the fantasy modes on Civ VI made me averse to it jajajaja

There's also a poll for a dev made mod example that will be released alongside the game:

https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...tes/230-day-1-mod-theme?page=0#post-undefined

Out of the 3, I voted sci-fi. I guess all the fantasy modes on Civ VI made me averse to it jajajaja
Same here....still can't get over Hercules building a Space Port. I know it's optional and moddable to the extend so in a way You can make it something else but still. And yeah also voted for sci-fi.
Nice from them being so open about modability and being genuinely aware of people wanting to change a lot of things. Also dll for AI at start is quite nice. Not having a possibility to add new 3d art at release but wanting to add it later is ok with me. Wonder how their version of Unity will look like. Overall positive (waiting for Industrial Era info :p).

Voted for Alt History because I'm sure many people will make Fantasy and Sci-Fi mods that are way more robust than the example, but I think it'd be nice to have an alt history mod somewhere, and I don't think modders will provide that anytime soon.

Voted for Alt History because I'm sure many people will make Fantasy and Sci-Fi mods that are way more robust than the example, but I think it'd be nice to have an alt history mod somewhere, and I don't think modders will provide that anytime soon.
It wasn't clear to me what "Alt History" even means in this context. Isn't the game already Alt History? They should have offered a short pitch for what they had in mind for each mod. I voted for Fantasy just because I wanted to see what they'd do with it, but I'm not surprised that Sci-Fi is winning by a good measure. Amplitude has built their company on the Endless franchise after all.

I voted for fantasy because, despite loving history and historical fiction, I'm not particularly interested in alternate history and only like sci fi insofar as it is fantasy-adjacent. Never been able to get into Endless Space but I had a blast with Endless Legend.

It wasn't clear to me what "Alt History" even means in this context. Isn't the game already Alt History? They should have offered a short pitch for what they had in mind for each mod. I voted for Fantasy just because I wanted to see what they'd do with it, but I'm not surprised that Sci-Fi is winning by a good measure. Amplitude has built their company on the Endless franchise after all.
Well, I voted "Alt History" to have a chance of knowing what it means in that context, yes :D

I suppose it could mean "what if" closer to real history, by limiting the next culture choices for example (or changing them)

I don't think it means a Rhye's & Fall mod, because that would require new mechanisms and they said we couldn't code those in mods (and also said it would not have the scope of an expansion while Rhye's mod has that scope), even if I'd love to see it.

Well, I voted "Alt History" to have a chance of knowing what it means in that context, yes :D
Fair. I considered doing the same.

Just wanted to say I'm really quite impressed by the sheer amount of avatar customisation options! I was expecting it to be pretty limited, forcing you to choose between a few preset heads for example, so it's nice to see that Amplitude are really giving players the tools to recreate themselves and historical figures with reasonable accuracy!

IDK if anyone is watching the stream, but re:modding, we gonna have modified unity for modding and AI will be fully moddable.

Civ1: Roman Empire under Octavian :)
Civ2: Roman Empire under Traian :)
Civ3: Roman Empire under Constantine :)
Civ4: Byzantine Empire under Justinian :)
Civ5 on release: years 600 - 660 :p
Civ5 BNW: Byzantine Empire in the year 1000 :)
Civ6: Byzantine Empire in the year 1070 :mischief:
Humankind: Alp Arslan leads Seljuk Turks to the battle of Manzikerten

Sid Meiers Alfa Centauri - Roman conquest of East
Beyond Earth - Byzantine failed expedition to recover East

This meme also works because in the ideal world I'd hope Byzantium never fell completely, just reform and exist together with glorious Islamic empires...

Last edited:
So, wouldn't it be time to start the modern cultures reveals?

Tap tap tap...

They said they will be revealing them leading up to the release, so the common estimate would be early next month. I don't expect them to have any culture reveals today, but I do expect them to have some sort of reveal today. Hopefully.

I don't understand that reasoning. That'd mean that the last reveal is just before the release. I'd want to know the last one a week or two before that though. It isn't like that is likely to be a big mystery... Well...

The last contemporary could actually be a big mystery.

revealed
China
US

probably
Soviet
India
Brazil

...after that the options get more varied
something subsaharan africa
something non china east asia
something nonsoviet europe

the last 2 could be any from
something arab?
additional africa?
australia/canada?
indonesia?
israel?
yet more europe?
more east asia?

So if they keep the uncertain ones to the end, then its a surprise.

PRC - Mercantile
USA - Expansionist
USSR - Militarist
India - Builder
Brazil - Expansionist
Modern Japan - Builder
Israel - Scientist
Australia - Agrarian
Ethiopia - Aesthete
Canada - Mercantile

is my prediction. Not sure how contemporary vs information era they're trying to go here (Nigeria/Indonesia)? Also just a random guess as to what their affinities would be because we know enough about modern countries that we have evidence to justify every affinity for each one. Definitely think there will only be 1 Scientist or 0 since it is the last era, same with Agrarian. Multiple Expansionist/Militarist/Mercantile seem called for to stimulate conflict/diplomacy, respectively.

So if they keep the uncertain ones to the end, then its a surprise.

That only works if they abandon their alphabetical order though. Otherwise, the Soviets or the United States or the already kinda confirmed Swedes would be at the end. Vietnam could be a surprise but I'm guessing (South/North) Korea got in before them.

Not sure how contemporary vs information era they're trying to go here (Nigeria/Indonesia)?

Each era seems to be themed around one or more conflicts so that the cultures have a connection. As the Industrial era goes right up to the World Wars, the modern era seems to revolve around the Cold War. I hope that they really chose to do it like this as it would leave the door open for a "Information Era" or "Near Future" DLC. And additional Era at the end based on cultures of the year 2021 or later, that could be a good corner stone for an expansion.

Each era seems to be themed around one or more conflicts so that the cultures have a connection. As the Industrial era goes right up to the World Wars, the modern era seems to revolve around the Cold War. I hope that they really chose to do it like this as it would leave the door open for a "Information Era" or "Near Future" DLC. And additional Era at the end based on cultures of the year 2021 or later, that could be a good corner stone for an expansion.
That was my assumption as well. If it was supposed to be more about present day, then I would have guessed Nigeria and Indonesia.

I really hope we don't get Australia and Canada on release. With the USA a given it feels like too many Anglo cultures when theres so many options considering the era spans WW2 to present.

I don't see being Anglo/not as being important, but also as Mitsho mentioned I don't think this era spans to present, at least for the cultures. More important is representing cultures that made big moves relative to the others in the same era, that made big moves relative to themselves in other eras, and also to cover different playstyles. Canada would make sense as a diplomatic (mercantile) player and not much else, maybe agrarian? Australia is nice for agrarian, and there aren't many good options for exceptional agrarians during this era...

So I guess you could say Australia is more likely than Canada, but they both fill niches that are hard and good to fill, they aren't represented in earlier eras, and there are only so many big movers during the Cold War and Globalization, and obviously most of those are going to be remnants of the British Empire from the era before...that's just how history is. I look forward to them coming up with something clever, of course.

Top Bottom