Humankind Game by Amplitude

For those interest, StrategyGamer has an article on HumanKind here.
In the linked article, a dev says: "Exploration is one of the things that makes me dream the most. I love it. It has to stay relevant as long as possible. We have a lot of gameplay elements connected with this. To give you a hint, we always want you to feel like you’re the one who discovered the source of the Nile, or the Amazon Forest.”

Man, that is such a huge selling point for me. More actual, meaningful, exciting exploration is what I want!

"A civilization that you build yourself as you play through the game rather than decide upon at the beginning"

This, for instance, is likely to be divisive. Many community players have wanted this, but a huge part of Civ's lasting appeal is that you are Civ X from start to finish and can imagine an alternate world in which the Aztecs became a nuclear superpower, rather than just morphed into a later real-world superpower as you progressed. Firaxis has spent years publicising expansions and building hype on the back of the civs they include or that people hope for. I suspect you're overestimating how much demand there is for the 'build-your-own-civ' approach.

I disagree with what you say Civ allows you to do. To me Civ does not allow me to see what would happen if the Aztec became the dominant power in the world, without morphing into a later real-world super power. Aztec in the modern era are analogous to any -Western- super power of the same era. Aside from the music and unique buildings, there is nothing in Civ that really makes the Civilization you are playing set its own course. They all, always, end up in the same corner: our current, western world. It's actually quite sad in my opinion.

Technologies/civics are all still locked in a progression as if that was the only timeline in the world. Democracy in the modern times, because the USA adopted it then (nevermind the pure democracy in Greece, or tribal democracy). Suffrage? Huge thing for Christian/Western society. Some other peoples found it absolutely normal for women to vote. Concrete was invented multiple times in the world, and forgotten in different times, if I'm not mistaken.
Yet FXS has always made games where history progresses literally as it did in our times, the only difference is that the timing might be different, and the name of the Civ leading the world, might be different. Of course, the world build is different on random maps, and war-outcomes, but it always is tech A before tech B, Civic A before civic B, because for us it happened that way, and therefore it's the only logical conclusion. We started reforesting in the industrial era, so that's how it goes. No, there is evidence that that happened waaaaaay before in the Amazon.

I want Civs that start out as slave-owners and have not made the morality jump, or do so because other civs in the game do so too (not because a unit gets upgraded). I want Civs that don't know the concept of slave ownership and are completely pacifistic like the Moriori, and carry this on throughout the ages, or learn to fight because other civs dictate them.

These are all not arguments for why Civ isn't fun or should change (I love Civ) but I can't say it's a game that lets you view an alternate history really. It's more: play our history, but starting as a different civ.

There's some discussion around the Culture mechanic.

"...in each era, you have the option to change your culture to something else (and the number of potential combinations is staggering across all six eras). History tells us that different culture types did evolve and change over time into something else, but it does stretch the suspension of belief somewhat when you have, say, the Egyptians suddenly morph into the Romans, and then the Ming after that.

“It’s a normal reaction,” Romain told me, “and it’s why we’ll probably offer a more historical mode or constraint in choices so that it makes more sense.
" [emphasis in original]
It's a sensible move to appease traditionalists, of course. The cultural melding concept is a big leap from what we're used to.

Even Civ has "placators", mainly in the form of the fixed Earth maps which enforce starting locations, for those who may dislike playing in Randomland with Khmer, England and the Mayans as (land!) neigbours. Doesn't help with the fact the Aztecs may found Christianity, but it's something.

I wish the writer had elaborated on this quote:

“It’s funny - we all know what 4X ‘means’, but at the same time the more I create 4X games the less I agree with the definition.”

Dude, that was an opening. Ask the logical follow up question. :undecide:

There's some discussion around the Culture mechanic.

"...in each era, you have the option to change your culture to something else (and the number of potential combinations is staggering across all six eras). History tells us that different culture types did evolve and change over time into something else, but it does stretch the suspension of belief somewhat when you have, say, the Egyptians suddenly morph into the Romans, and then the Ming after that.

“It’s a normal reaction,” Romain told me, “and it’s why we’ll probably offer a more historical mode or constraint in choices so that it makes more sense.
" [emphasis in original]

That's a good way to address concerns, but I hope it's an option that can be toggled on or off.

That's a good way to address concerns, but I hope it's an option that can be toggled on or off.

Sounds like it, given that he says "offer a more historical mode" - doesn't sound like it's going to be the default or forced on anyone.

While we're on the topic of "this is too gamey, this isn't historical, this doesn't let the player role play well", I wonder how long we need to wait until we hear more about these features:

"Face real historical events, lead renown figures, and make scientific breakthroughs." [emphasis mine]

Taking them in reverse order:

Scientific Breakthroughs: this might just be "research techs". Or there may be special projects that generate fame for the first civ to research it? Could they give any additional bonuses?

Lead Renown Figures: so there's a great person system. Based on the UI and the game design we've seen so far, it appears that Amplitude isn't going for the "every system is a bucket, fill the bucket win a prize" approach. So will they use the equivalent of great person points, or will there be other ways to earn great people? Note that in Endless Legends, great people were called Heroes (because fantasy), and could lead armies (as generals) or lead cities (as governors). Will the historical figures in Humankind stick to that approach?

Face Real Historical Events: to me, the most intriguing. How many? How often? How big a pool of possible events? Will you get the same ones every game? Will there be events that are customized to each civ? Do they play out as "choose bonus A or bonus B" or will they be more interesting?

Finally, for anybody looking to fill up an hour of your long weekend, here's a session at Pax West with an HK dev: "Stories without Stories: The Zen of Strategy Narrative" (this is a different session than the one that Ed Beach and an HK dev will be speaking at during the same convention):

https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...the-zen-of-strategy-narrative-with-jeff-spock

Last edited:
While we're on the topic of "this is too gamey, this isn't historical, this doesn't let the player role play well", I wonder how long we need to wait until we hear more about these features:

"Face real historical events, lead renown figures, and make scientific breakthroughs." [emphasis mine]

Taking them in reverse order:

Scientific Breakthroughs: this might just be "research techs". Or there may be special projects that generate fame for the first civ to research it? Could they give any additional bonuses?

Lead Renown Figures: so there's a great person system. Based on the UI and the game design we've seen so far, it appears that Amplitude isn't going for the "every system is a bucket, fill the bucket win a prize" approach. So will they use the equivalent of great person points, or will there be other ways to earn great people? Note that in Endless Legends, great people were called Heroes (because fantasy), and could lead armies (as generals) or lead cities (as governors). Will the historical figures in Humankind stick to that approach?

Face Real Historical Events: to me, the most intriguing. How many? How often? How big a pool of possible events? Will you get the same ones every game? Will there be events that are customized to each civ? Do they play out as "choose bonus A or bonus B" or will they be more interesting?

Finally, for anybody looking to fill up an hour of your long weekend, here's a session at Pax West with an HK dev: "Stories without Stories: The Zen of Strategy Narrative" (this is a different session than the one that Ed Beach and an HK dev will be speaking at during the same convention):

https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...the-zen-of-strategy-narrative-with-jeff-spock

After the dev said that each civ will have a specific challenge to earn extra Fame, I wonder if the scientific breakthroughs and events play into that?

After the dev said that each civ will have a specific challenge to earn extra Fame, I wonder if the scientific breakthroughs and events play into that?

And will the bonus Fame potential be civ-specific, or civ-type specific? By that I'm referring to the four icons visible in this civ selection screen:

HK Initial Civ Selection Screen.jpg

The icons to the lower left look like:

Science Civ (Babylonia)
Builder Civ (Egypt)
Agricultural Civ (Harrapans)
Military Civ (Hittites)

Would every science civ, for example, simply get more fame for scientific discoveries than a military civ would?

While we're on the topic, there's 10 civs per era. That would break down naturally into 2 civs each of 5 civ types, if in addition to the 4 above there's a fifth type? Government, possibly (if HK has the influence base resource that EL uses)? Or commercial/trade? Or exploration? Or naval?

And will the bonus Fame potential be civ-specific, or civ-type specific? By that I'm referring to the four icons visible in this civ selection screen:

View attachment 533744

The icons to the lower left look like:

Science Civ (Babylonia)
Builder Civ (Egypt)
Agricultural Civ (Harrapans)
Military Civ (Hittites)

Would every science civ, for example, simply get more fame for scientific discoveries than a military civ would?

While we're on the topic, there's 10 civs per era. That would break down naturally into 2 civs each of 5 civ types, if in addition to the 4 above there's a fifth type? Government, possibly (if HK has the influence base resource that EL uses)? Or commercial/trade? Or exploration? Or naval?

BUT depending on the specialty of your culture. You'll gain more from a specific challenge

That's a quote from a dev, so I suppose it is based on that little icon on the civ cards.

That's a quote from a dev, so I suppose it is based on that little icon on the civ cards.

So to look to other possible civ types, we should look to the sources of fame. That may make an exploration focussed civ more likely than trading focused, for example. At least given the sources of fame that have been revealed so far.

I wonder what the food/agricultural civ types like the Harrapan would gain extra fame from? City population size?

And will we continue to get food/agricultural civ types throughout the game, or are they only in the early eras, replaced by something else later?

. . . Personally, I've always found it jarring that America can exist in basically its modern form in Civ in 4000 BC. I'm sure some would find it jarring to have a some civilization transition from an Egyptian to Japanese culture, but I find it no less bizarre.

How do you explain a modern America existing in the Bronze Age anyway? Does it imply Sioux, Cherokee, Apache and the like can somehow culturally mutate into British pioneers and then modern Americans, and simultaneously that those original Native Americans could've somehow envisioned modern America to maintain such an unchanging monolith through the ages? And how is England as a civilization entirely irrelevant to its existence? It just plain doesn't make sense, and I strongly doubt that many people are really that fixed on such a ridiculous idea.

America is probably one of the easier cases to poke at, but ultimately what Civ does is take a very reduced historical snapshot of a civilization and stretches it 6000 years. Often to the breaking point. America can exist without England and England without the Romans nor the Celts nor the Vikings, whereas civilizations which did exist in ancient times can somehow remain culturally intact for millennia. And I'm not even getting into the immortal god-rulers.

But in the end, I don't think either of us can single-handedly determine what the community wants in this regard. From my point of view, it's a worthy concept to explore, just as much as the traditional path, and doesn't require any further suspension of disbelief.

Personally I don't think civilizations (cultures) morphing and changing across eras is much stranger than the same exact culture (country, empire) existing for 6000 years. And Humankind isn't going to have immortal god rulers!

In Humankind system it looks like this:
Celts -> Rome -> England -> Great Britain > America -> America
In Civ: HELLO BRONZE NEIGHBOR IT IS YEAR 4000BC AND I AM TEDDY ROOSEVELT WITH MY GLASSES AND SUIT, WELCOME IN THE UNITED STATES OF NORTH AMERICA

(I can also already imagine obligatory mod "limits civ switches to those making historical sense")

Let's step back a bit from 'game mechanics/concepts' and address what the games are trying to model: Human History. (Yeah, yeah, I can hear the click of numerous Threaders moving on from another of Boris' Historical Rants - bear with me for a bit)

1. No Civilization or Group that existed in 4000 BCE still exists in anything remotely resembling the same cultural or sociological form. There are no 'continuous' civilizations. That includes China, which did not even become recognizable as a Civilization (In Civ terms, anyway, as in Building Cities) until almost 2000 years later.

So: Kudos to Humankind for addressing this.

2. The development of any group or Civ was a product of Geography, both natural, manmade and sociological ("Population Geography" to use the term from my College Days, back during the Atomic Era) and External Influences ranging from immigration to technology spread to invasion and subjugation or invading and subjugating: numerous mechanisms that introduced New Things, sometimes radical New Things, to the existing cultural or political group.

So far, Kudos to neither Civ nor Humankind, because the influences that drive the 'morphing' of Humankind's factions into Other Civs hasn't really been spelled out.

3. No Civ, once established, ever became an entirely different Civ unless they were utterly destroyed first. Greeks conquered by Romans and later by Turks did not become either Romans nor Turks nor did a Roman or Turkish Civ get established in Greece - old ruined temples and mosques don't count except as Tourist Curiosities. Carthage did become Roman, because Carthage was completely destroyed by Rome so that when a city was rebuilt in the same area, there were no Carthaginians in it, only Roman colonists.
And the permutations could be mind-bogglingly complex, especially when tracked over 6000 years. Take, for example, France (I won't take the USA, because there is a complete break there, between the Native North American culture groups and the European, later Modified European, Culture/Polity that replaced them over most of North America)
France starts in 4000 BCE as hunter-gatherers, by modern DNA evidence largely descended from Pre-Start-of-Game immigrants from Africa.
By 3000 BCE (dates are still being Hotly Debated by the scientific community) these were being replaced by farmers, immigrants from Anatolia who moved up the Danube valley and then across the Rhine.
By about 2000 - 1500 BCE these in turn were largely replaced by immigrants from central Asia/Russia: pastoral wagon/chariot riders with herds who apparently also brought herd origin epidemic diseases that massacred the farming population (among others, Plague traces have been found dating to this movement). This movement also brought an entirely new 'wave' of language and religious practices with them, usually termed the 'Indo-European'.
In France, this distilled by 1000 BCE or so into the Hallstadt Culture, later identified with the historical Celts/Gauls of the Classical Era.
In the last two centuries of BCE, this group was starting to build real cities (Bibracte has been estimated to have population of 20,000, making it Very Large by Classical standards) but got conquered by the Romans before they could continue their development.
Between about 100 BCE and 400 CE the Romans extensively 'Romanized' the language, culture, and politics of Gaul, so much so that only faint traces of the original Celtic language remain - overlayered by Latin just as the Gallic roads were overlaid by Roman roads all over the province, and the original 'Druidic' religion was so completely wiped out that later 'Druids' are largely a modern (19th century CE) invention with no connection at all to the original.
After about 400 CE, German tribes, including Franks, invaded and settled in the area. They did not replace the original population, though: hence Latin and not a Germanic language remains the basis for modern French. The exact amount of the culture, population, sociological 'shift' remains debatable: at least one author/academic argues (persuasively, in my view) that Roman institutions of government and local cultural institutions remained in place, being slowly modified by adaptation to changing conditions over the next 400 years.
By about 900 CE, a recognizably 'modern' France emerges, with a segment of the population that considers themselves 'French' (but, to this day, Huge regional variations, even extending to language) and a government that at least has aspirations to rule all of the 'French'.

BUT No Game could possibly represent or include the combination of benign and Less Benign 'foreign influences' that produced France in 1000 CE and later starting from the 'nomads' (hunter-gatherers) of 4000 BCE. For one thing, a similar pattern of immigration and invasion and 'waves' of different cultures could be described for England, Rome, Greece, Anatolia/Turkey, Russia, Spain, etc. each producing a different Final Cultural 'Civ' product.

However, and this is the crux of the matter for me, neither Civ nor Humankind is even attempting to show any such thing.
Civ simply starts you out in 4000 BCE with a 'Civilization' with traits or influences derived from some later (sometimes much, much later) point in its history. There is only the slightest effort to model any influences from geography and none whatsoever to include influences from other Civs or cultures, like the Etruscans on the Romans or the Romans or Franks on the 'French' - basically, they conquer you and you disappear entirely into them or you conquer them and they disappear entirely unto you except for occasional City Names.
Humankind starts you out with a nomadic Group/Civ with traits derived from a selection of 'recognizable' early historical groups. How much this selection is influenced by geography has not, I believe, been indicated yet. Then. based on factors also not yet entirely clear, this Group can take on traits of other historical groups in succeeding artificially (that is, not Game Generated) Eras with, apparently, no actual portrayal in game of those Groups prior to that Era: they spring full blown and different in each Era, so how they generated or generated their influences is entirely Artificial.

So, one Design (Civ) gives you a monolithic Civ for 6000 years, with the myriad historical and prehistorical outside influences almost entirely Absent.
The other design (Humankind) gives you succeeding Civ/Culture Groups with, apparently (presumably, being almost a year out, a lot of the details are still In Development) No real (in game) connection between your group and the successors necessary.
In other words, in Civ you start with France and end with France and Indo-Europeans, Celts, Romans, Germanic Franks, et al have no influence on the Civ. In Humankind, you can't start as France, but you could start as Egyptian or Chinese and wind up as France later on. What conceivable process could result in that is apparently, not modeled exactly - it's a product, as much as anything, of the gamer's desire to wind up playing France.

Both may be commercially successful (I'm enough of a Gamer to hope so) but neither is a Historical 4x game, they are Fantasy games with a (very thin) historical glaze dripped over them.
A purely historical game on this scale (6000 + years) would be, I think, both almost impossible to develop and entirely frustrating to play, and therefore won't happen outside of some academic 'simulation' setting.

But I keep hoping that some Design Team will at least make an attempt to include the historical development process in a game: outside influences, real geographical constraints, Unforeseen Events (read Geoffrey Parker's Global Crisis on the influence of climate change on the entire World in the 17th century CE, for instance) and instead of giving a gamer just a series of decisions to make to optimize his game, give him a series of problems to solve related to the actual problems actual rulers and peoples had to deal with.

Let's step back a bit from 'game mechanics/concepts' and address what the games are trying to model: Human History. (Yeah, yeah, I can hear the click of numerous Threaders moving on from another of Boris' Historical Rants - bear with me for a bit)

1. No Civilization or Group that existed in 4000 BCE still exists in anything remotely resembling the same cultural or sociological form. There are no 'continuous' civilizations. That includes China, which did not even become recognizable as a Civilization (In Civ terms, anyway, as in Building Cities) until almost 2000 years later.

So: Kudos to Humankind for addressing this.

2. The development of any group or Civ was a product of Geography, both natural, manmade and sociological ("Population Geography" to use the term from my College Days, back during the Atomic Era) and External Influences ranging from immigration to technology spread to invasion and subjugation or invading and subjugating: numerous mechanisms that introduced New Things, sometimes radical New Things, to the existing cultural or political group.

So far, Kudos to neither Civ nor Humankind, because the influences that drive the 'morphing' of Humankind's factions into Other Civs hasn't really been spelled out.

3. No Civ, once established, ever became an entirely different Civ unless they were utterly destroyed first. Greeks conquered by Romans and later by Turks did not become either Romans nor Turks nor did a Roman or Turkish Civ get established in Greece - old ruined temples and mosques don't count except as Tourist Curiosities. Carthage did become Roman, because Carthage was completely destroyed by Rome so that when a city was rebuilt in the same area, there were no Carthaginians in it, only Roman colonists.
And the permutations could be mind-bogglingly complex, especially when tracked over 6000 years. Take, for example, France (I won't take the USA, because there is a complete break there, between the Native North American culture groups and the European, later Modified European, Culture/Polity that replaced them over most of North America)
France starts in 4000 BCE as hunter-gatherers, by modern DNA evidence largely descended from Pre-Start-of-Game immigrants from Africa.
By 3000 BCE (dates are still being Hotly Debated by the scientific community) these were being replaced by farmers, immigrants from Anatolia who moved up the Danube valley and then across the Rhine.
By about 2000 - 1500 BCE these in turn were largely replaced by immigrants from central Asia/Russia: pastoral wagon/chariot riders with herds who apparently also brought herd origin epidemic diseases that massacred the farming population (among others, Plague traces have been found dating to this movement). This movement also brought an entirely new 'wave' of language and religious practices with them, usually termed the 'Indo-European'.
In France, this distilled by 1000 BCE or so into the Hallstadt Culture, later identified with the historical Celts/Gauls of the Classical Era.
In the last two centuries of BCE, this group was starting to build real cities (Bibracte has been estimated to have population of 20,000, making it Very Large by Classical standards) but got conquered by the Romans before they could continue their development.
Between about 100 BCE and 400 CE the Romans extensively 'Romanized' the language, culture, and politics of Gaul, so much so that only faint traces of the original Celtic language remain - overlayered by Latin just as the Gallic roads were overlaid by Roman roads all over the province, and the original 'Druidic' religion was so completely wiped out that later 'Druids' are largely a modern (19th century CE) invention with no connection at all to the original.
After about 400 CE, German tribes, including Franks, invaded and settled in the area. They did not replace the original population, though: hence Latin and not a Germanic language remains the basis for modern French. The exact amount of the culture, population, sociological 'shift' remains debatable: at least one author/academic argues (persuasively, in my view) that Roman institutions of government and local cultural institutions remained in place, being slowly modified by adaptation to changing conditions over the next 400 years.
By about 900 CE, a recognizably 'modern' France emerges, with a segment of the population that considers themselves 'French' (but, to this day, Huge regional variations, even extending to language) and a government that at least has aspirations to rule all of the 'French'.

BUT No Game could possibly represent or include the combination of benign and Less Benign 'foreign influences' that produced France in 1000 CE and later starting from the 'nomads' (hunter-gatherers) of 4000 BCE. For one thing, a similar pattern of immigration and invasion and 'waves' of different cultures could be described for England, Rome, Greece, Anatolia/Turkey, Russia, Spain, etc. each producing a different Final Cultural 'Civ' product.

However, and this is the crux of the matter for me, neither Civ nor Humankind is even attempting to show any such thing.
Civ simply starts you out in 4000 BCE with a 'Civilization' with traits or influences derived from some later (sometimes much, much later) point in its history. There is only the slightest effort to model any influences from geography and none whatsoever to include influences from other Civs or cultures, like the Etruscans on the Romans or the Romans or Franks on the 'French' - basically, they conquer you and you disappear entirely into them or you conquer them and they disappear entirely unto you except for occasional City Names.
Humankind starts you out with a nomadic Group/Civ with traits derived from a selection of 'recognizable' early historical groups. How much this selection is influenced by geography has not, I believe, been indicated yet. Then. based on factors also not yet entirely clear, this Group can take on traits of other historical groups in succeeding artificially (that is, not Game Generated) Eras with, apparently, no actual portrayal in game of those Groups prior to that Era: they spring full blown and different in each Era, so how they generated or generated their influences is entirely Artificial.

So, one Design (Civ) gives you a monolithic Civ for 6000 years, with the myriad historical and prehistorical outside influences almost entirely Absent.
The other design (Humankind) gives you succeeding Civ/Culture Groups with, apparently (presumably, being almost a year out, a lot of the details are still In Development) No real (in game) connection between your group and the successors necessary.
In other words, in Civ you start with France and end with France and Indo-Europeans, Celts, Romans, Germanic Franks, et al have no influence on the Civ. In Humankind, you can't start as France, but you could start as Egyptian or Chinese and wind up as France later on. What conceivable process could result in that is apparently, not modeled exactly - it's a product, as much as anything, of the gamer's desire to wind up playing France.

Both may be commercially successful (I'm enough of a Gamer to hope so) but neither is a Historical 4x game, they are Fantasy games with a (very thin) historical glaze dripped over them.
A purely historical game on this scale (6000 + years) would be, I think, both almost impossible to develop and entirely frustrating to play, and therefore won't happen outside of some academic 'simulation' setting.

But I keep hoping that some Design Team will at least make an attempt to include the historical development process in a game: outside influences, real geographical constraints, Unforeseen Events (read Geoffrey Parker's Global Crisis on the influence of climate change on the entire World in the 17th century CE, for instance) and instead of giving a gamer just a series of decisions to make to optimize his game, give him a series of problems to solve related to the actual problems actual rulers and peoples had to deal with.
Gameplay wise that might be pretty tough to execute, though. As a simulator, sure.

Gameplay wise that might be pretty tough to execute, though. As a simulator, sure.

Games like Britannia, Rise & Fall, and Smallworld handle it by having you take on different identities as the game progresses. It's a better established game mechanic than the approach HK is taking. For each of these, though, the new people come from off board. That's hard to replicate in a civ-like world.

History of the World is even more on point. There the new civ arises de novo in an area already occupied by an existing civ, displacing it, or a previously "uncivilized" area. But not in a way that addresses any of @Boris Gudenuf 's points.

Unfortunately, it appears that the grand ideas that inspired the Amplitude dev team did not run in this direction. I agree, it would be amazing for the flow from one civ to another to be guided by what is happening during the game. I do think that has the potential to be a game and not just a simulation (there is scope for player choice). It doesn't look like it's going to be HK, though. At best, HK may represent a first take at what is right now a novel approach, and in turn inspire others to build on the mechanic.

Aside from the music and unique buildings, there is nothing in Civ that really makes the Civilization you are playing set its own course... Technologies/civics are all still locked in a progression as if that was the only timeline in the world.
This may be asking for too much, but I've always thought it would really be great if the tech and civic trees were individualized for each player and each game, morphing somewhat based on the path you take and the choices you make. I realize that might be difficult to implement, and yet imagine how much more true to life it would be, not to mention making repeated game plays more enjoyable.

No Civ, once established, ever became an entirely different Civ unless they were utterly destroyed first. Greeks conquered by Romans and later by Turks did not become either Romans nor Turks nor did a Roman or Turkish Civ get established in Greece - old ruined temples and mosques don't count except as Tourist Curiosities. Carthage did become Roman, because Carthage was completely destroyed by Rome so that when a city was rebuilt in the same area, there were no Carthaginians in it, only Roman colonists.

Civ's grossly different treatment of Europe vs India in this way has long bothered me. Treating India the same with Ashoka & Gandhi and giving them MUGHAL stuff is like making Rome + Carthage + Ottomans as part of the same Civ. If people aren't okay with the latter, it's silly to be okay with the former.

My position would be that it might not be that tough to execute, but it would be hard to Market.

To keep 'France' as an example, and 4000 BCE approximately as a Start Of Game date, you could start playing as Armorican, Cardium, Chasseen, or Artenacian, each basically a semi-nomadic group that harvests animals and some plants (grains, fruits) but doesn't farm, ride, or build permanent cities yet.

The problem, obviously, is that no one outside of a University-level Archeology class has ever heard of any of those groups. Identification of the gamer with his 'Civ' is going to be a Major Stumbling Block, but I think it could be leaped with graphics that distinguish each group and, even as far back as 4000 BCE, a singular 'Trait' that distinguishes each.

Armoricans could even have their own anthem:

"Armorica, Armorica, Mother Earth will nurture Thee
And Crown Thy Head with Beer and Bread
and Standing Stones from Sea to Sea . . ."

Let's not get too 'academic' about the Start: by definition, it being Prehistory and Preliterate Cultures, there will necessarily be a lot of SWAG ("Scientific Wild-Ass Guessing") involved in selecting 'Traits', even just one each, for these culture groups.

Start of Game would have to come in two flavors: IF you want to play as France (eventually), your starting position would be as one of those groups and not, say, the Yamnaya (proto-Indo-European pastoralists) and your starting surroundings would be (in Civ terms) Grasslands with Woods, a few Plains, hills, plenty of 'wild' grains and fruits and game to 'harvest', and a relatively temperate Climate (no Desert or Tundra in sight).
If, on the other hand, you want to see what you can build (Freestyle Start?), you would get a Starting Position, and then be given a selection of 'tribes/groups' from which to pick whose 'Traits' are suitable for that position, so that, starting on wide plains with cattle/sheep and/or horses and some woods of in the distance and along the rivers only, you could select the Yamnaya and try to turn into the Lords of the Earth and Sky (Scythians, Huns, Mongols, Uighur, Lakotah - there are numerous possibilities, but no certainties at the Start) - or, possibly, become one with the Earth only when Mother Russia eventually comes out of the woods and stomps you flat in the 17th century CE.

This may be asking for too much, but I've always thought it would really be great if the tech and civic trees were individualized for each player and each game, morphing somewhat based on the path you take and the choices you make. I realize that might be difficult to implement, and yet imagine how much more true to life it would be, not to mention making repeated game plays more enjoyable.

Social/Cultural Developments ("Civics") are wildly subject to outside influences and internal pressures as whimsical as the Wish of the Ruler. Technical Development, in contrast, is almost always dependent on Need and Available Resources. IF you live in the middle of a desert, you have no need for Boats or anything related to them, but a pressing need for finding and conserving water: Irrigation and/or stone/brick construction to build reservoirs, canals or qanats or dams to hold and move water. Everything else about two groups being the same, based on their Geography their Technology will develop differently.

So I would not necessarily have a separate Tech and Civic Tree for each group or faction, but I would (in current Civ VI terms) make it almost impossible to develop anything without a Bonus or Eureka, and tie such Bonuses more stringently to Need and Resource. As in, if you never fight anybody, you have no need for anything Military beyond hunting weapons. You may, therefore, start with bows and throwing spears, and may even develop into mounted archers if you have herds to protect and horses, but you will never develop armored lancers, armored spearmen or swordsmen without some other Need.
AND, of course, some Techs and many Civics would be subject to Outside Influences.
A good example being the Haida of the Pacific Northwest, who adopted Sailing almost as soon as they saw their first European sailing ship go by, so fast in fact that many observers thought they had developed sails independently. In fact, they already had long-range coastal trade routes up and down the Pacific coast of North America, so they had a pressing Need for sails and had expertise in woodworking and weaving to manufacture sails, cordage and masts: The Tech transferred (in Game Terms, anyway) almost instantaneously.

On the other hand, the Haida never built a Frigate, let alone a Ship of the Line: they didn't have the metal-working technologies and industrial infrastructure required for those, even though they soon developed a Need to fight off European invaders: the Leap in technology was just too great.

You are right, though, in that every game would develop differently, simply because the Influences on each Civ from other Civs, Civics, Technologies, and Needs would very seldom be exactly the same in every game. Something as simple as being a starting group that has no enemies in one game but has a couple of spawned Barbarian groups nearby in another could change a great deal of Technological development, and in turn Civics. IF their technology winds up 'militarized' that in turn will change their probable/possible Political and Diplomatic decisions, and you quickly have a very new game as they influence other Civs. In the non-militarized instance they wind up as the Omaha, in the second as the Scythians, Huns, Turks or Lakotah.
AND there are few Stamped-in-Stone Certainties in development: the Kiowa/Commanche started developing as agricultural, raising corn/maize along the rivers of Oklahoma/Texas (the agricultural 'Technology' having filtered up from Mexico and Central America, an 'influence' from other Cultures), then got horses (another 'outside influence') and turned into the premier Mounted Lancers/warriors of the southern US plains. IF the horse had not been accompanied by European diseases, guns, cannon, railroads, and massive numerical advantage, the native Americans could have become something akin to the Magyar. Bulgar, or Turkic Horse warriors that settled down and built cities.
Any historical game that doesn't explore such 'What Ifs' of History is scarcely worth playing . . .

First of all, I'd like to complement your excellent write-up. I agree very much with your points, but also think it's safe to say that conceiving a system that accurately immolates how real civilizations have evolved seems all but impossible.

I do think the Humankind system - from what little I know - seems like a step forward compared to the Civ system. Not only does it sound slightly more realistic, it also seems to open potential for variability between playthroughs, something that is arguably the biggest crux of Civ6.

In order to get closer to the "real" evolution you describe, I hope there will be some sort of limitation on what "civilizations" you can pick (and on a side note, I really hope they will not be actually called civilization, but rather get some trait name). Whether it will be decided by geographical features, but game events, both, or something entirely different, I haven't got a clear opinion about. But if you can switch from a mesopotamian "civilization" to, say, and east-asian "civilization" without any kind of event to prompt and justify this change - for instance trade, cultural exchange, war, or other interaction - it will seem very artificial to me.

On the other hand, I see less of a problem if these "changes" comes through traits similar to the Civ6 unique abilities that can be adopted at the onset of an era. For instance, where in Civ6 China always has the "Dynastic Cycle" ability, I see no problem with a game where this is left open for the player to choose, or even to be determined by game history, so that other civilizations could have this ability in different playthroughs (without being called "China" for that reason). I know this is not the system that is outlined in the current description, but that would be for me a much more logical and realistic way to implement it.

Top Bottom