Humankind news: Modding Tools Beta Basics

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
From https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/blogs/788

The most important part seems to be actually for the players
With Fabius Maximus, you can manage your mods directly in game on the Mods tab of the Community Screen. Here you will be able to select which of your installed mods you want to activate for your next match by choosing them from the list at the bottom of the screen

Otherwise it seems that the tools will making the setup of a default modding project rather easy.
It seems also that it's mostly a GUI interface for the underlying data files (are these XMLs?), so I guess the tools are mostly aimed at beginners.
But whatever the case is, Amplitude seems to be investing into modding, which I find very nice :).

How do we “install the Humankind Mod tools from the Steam library”? I have the beta and can’t see Humankind Mod tools in the library’s tool section.

Last edited:
the modding tools will be labelled "beta", but they've not been released with the game's "beta" patch, we'll get them with the game's "official" patch.

the modding tools will be labelled "beta", but they've not been released with the game's "beta" patch, we'll get them with the game's "official" patch.
So all these mods being released are from people on the “inside”?

So all these mods being released are from people on the “inside”?

no, quite the opposite, they are developed outside the scope of the modding tools.

thanks to other tools (in our case BepInEx) that were developed for unity games (the engine used by Humankind), we can access the game's DLLs using plugins (ie without modifying the original files) and change the code.

you can compare what can be done this way to what was done with DLL modding for civ4/civ5, but with the ability to use multiple DLL plugins together.

the official tools should allow mods similar to what was done by changing the DB in civ4/civ5/civ6, using XML syntax (or SQL for civ5/civ6), now using a GUI for Humankind.

I'm still unsure for assets (images, 3D models), as they've not mentioned it I would not expect it with the beta tools.

If you're interested in trying your hand at .dll modding using the BepInEx system Gedemon mentioned, there's a tutorial HERE that might help get started, although it seems the official patch is coming out tomorrow (announced on Humankind's Twitter).

Images can be added to the game using the BepInEx system; models who knows?

Top Bottom