1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Remaining Cultures Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by CivLuvah, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Gwydden

Gwydden Chieftain

So we all agree the Dutch are the most likely reveal tomorrow, assuming alphabetical order?

drakula15, Hawke9, Guandao and 2 others like this.
  2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Presumably, unless there’s a surprise coming tomorrow. Their unique unit will be the Fluyt, apparently?

Hawke9 likes this.
  3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I wonder what are the chances of a polder being their EQ? Or maybe something to do with the VOC (Dutch East India Company)?

Hawke9 likes this.
  4. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

T̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶l̶d̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶D̶u̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶c̶i̶v̶/̶c̶u̶l̶t̶u̶r̶e̶.̶

EDIT: Apparently the recent Dutch civ reveal doesn't have a polder as an EQ. A disappointment :dunno:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    drakula15, Kjimmet, conorbebe and 3 others like this.
  5. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I'm all aboard this prediction as well, I think the Incas are out of vanilla for all we know (I'd rather they develop a full andean tree on DLC), people are putting Sweden in EM, but I think they'll be industrial along with Russia.

As for the Italian culture thing, I think that throughout history italian cultures were so distinct that we can draw a few lines to separate them...If we were to have a full "Italian" tree completed by DLC, it would probably be Etruscan, Roman, Sicilian, Venetian, Florence, Italy.

Following that, if for vanilla we get Rome, Venice, Italy I think It's fleshed out enough for release... :)

j51 likes this.
  6. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Spain and Ottomans are obligatory, Ming - Tokugawa - Joseon are basically confirmed, Dutch were revealed and IIRC Poland was seen in this era.

Mughals are a big hope of many people, me included, but were not really spotted - only "Mughal like architecture" but honestly, this may be just a certain world wonder or a sight taken from a ton of others Persianized cultures, Ottomans included. They are expected because of their massive power, importance, being Indian counterpart of Ming, and general badassery.

I vaguely recall we have seen Iroquis - like unit, but the thing is, these guys fit both EM and industrial eras if industrial era begins in 18th century.

The idea of Venice is, IIRC, based on the sight of galleas style ship, which is damn weak argument :p So I am not convinced about them at all, especially as they would have to take the slot from either Africa, Americas or India AND they'd fit medieval as well.

Mughals and Iroquis are likely, but it's not certain we won't see for example Safavids and Inca instead (there was a rumor of Inca and one certain person suggested to me there may be more of Persia). And the tenth culture is a total gamble, although I am expecting African one. Especially aestethe Kongo, although that's a random guess.

7. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I actually expect the Mughals in the Industrial era so they can have them face off against the British and French, maybe even some Persians. It can work year-wise, even it doesn't make the most sense. But when you have Poland, Sweden, etc., moving a bit around might be as that one dev put it, at least "defensible" from a historian point of view.

8. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I was wondering if the galleas could just be a standard naval unit as well, but I think it at least opens Venice as an option, besides, Amplitude seems to like to feature a lot of naval emblematic units.

While I love Safavids, I'd rather they do Sassanids later just so we can have some decent Sassanid vs Byzantium vs Arabia action on medieval. But who knows I wouldn't mind Safavids for Mughals, but to me Mughals fits perfectly with the game's concept of integrating and evolving cultures.

9. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Mughals in the industrial era would be really weird though, because the empire was dying by the early 18th century, which is the most charitable starting point of industrial era you could give. They weren't even fighting British and French very much, and for Indian industrial culture you may give Nepal, Sikhs or Marathas.

I am a big fan of Sasanians but there are two problems:
    1) Cyrus empire is not named "Achaemenids" but "Persians", and that being followed with "Sasanians" would be kinda awkward
    2) Sasanians being in the medieval era next to England, Vikings and Mongols would be even more awkward... Yeah I know they last long after 476 , and they could face Byz and Arabs this way, but it just feels out of place. Well that's why I would love to see separate Early Medieval era in this game.

Anyway,
    What is the point of this thread if we do have a Culture (Unit + Quarter) Speculation Thread?

Meluhhan, j51, Guandao and 1 other person like this.
  10. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

To me that kind of clash can be perfectly represented by having your culture trascend, and then have to face more modern cultures trying to take you down...say for example:

-Egypt trascending to classical..face Persia and Rome
    -Aztecs trascending to EM...face Spain
    -Mughals trascending industrial, face Britain
    -Ming trascending industrial, face Britan and Meiji as well...and the CCP if you try to go to modern

all kind of historical, and honestly one of the things that got me hooked to this game.

Meluhhan and CivLuvah like this.
  11. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I would argue that It's not weirder than refering to Romans as Byzantines, either way, I just want to clash Romans and Persians in whatever iteration that could, and Byzantines vs Sasanians is something that we'll never get in civ, I hope we can get it in Humankind.

As for them feeling out of place, I feel you, to me having an early middle ages or late antiquity era is the only thing the game needs to tackle all cultures it could, maybe expansion material.

12. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Warlord

If we later add Sasanians, we could always rename Persia to Achaemenids or Achaemenid Persians... But for now we are sticking with the name easily recognizable to many. Not everybody is as invested in history as the people around here (sadly).

13. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

hoping for a sneaky Australia at the end

Hawke9 and Guandao like this.
  14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I don‘t remember in which videos the maps of the later eras were spotted. They were not very easy to identify, but if Australia is in, it should be identifiable there.

15. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

I didn't think too hard about it when I first created it. I guess this is for guessing the remaining cultures, and that thread is for guessing the specific mechanics, both of those cultures that have already been revealed, and those that are about to be revealed. If that sounds reasonable.

16. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

The other evidence is that the Galleass was spotted in the early tech tree in Renaissance, colored as a unique unit (dark red), and with a Venetian flag for the logo. So far almost all the stuff scene on that tree has been correct: Viking Longship, Teutonic Knight, both Hunnic and Mongol Hordes, Ghanese Camel Cavalry, Dutch Fluyt. The only difference is the Franci Milites was labeled Capetian Cavalry.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Meluhhan and Krajzen like this.
  17. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Huh, so it's basically confirmed. That means either no African EM culture (I very much doubt this) or possible Iroquis (?) being in the industrial era, not EM. I'd go with the second option.

I like Italians coming already with the game, too many games stupidly equate them with Romans. Now I only miss AESTETHE RENAISSANCE MILAN/FLORENCE

Once again I ask, this time more directly: shouldn't we close this thread and go back to the Culture (Unit + Quarter) Discussion Thread? I see no difference in the discussions.

Meluhhan likes this.
  18. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

Eh, let's see what the forum mods decide.