[GS] Hungary Discussion Thread

I'm not 100% versed on how levied units work, but would this be theoretically possible?

1. Be Hungary's neighbor
2. Hoard envoys
3. Goad Hungary into declaring war on you
4. Wait for Hungary to levy a nearby CS's units and then upgrade them
5. Cash out your envoys into said city state, converting it to your side of the war
6. Levy now fully upgraded, top-of-the-line units and then march on Buda

Bonus points if you're playing as Gil and can now levy the fully-upgraded units at half cost.

Well... yes, but !!!

The levy cost goes according to the quality of units the CS has (and the number)... So in this case, HE would pay minimal to levy, then upgrades them freely, then you spend most or all of your stashed envoys, then you get to pay maximal price to levy yourself... I don't think you'd be able to do that very often and get a winning strategy

I have yet to use this mechanic in any Civ 6 game LOL.

I'm a little worried about this one since it seems you can almost buy a diplomatic victory or at least buy continued suzerainship. Which is something I'm glad they moved away from in Civ5. Question: Does the AI ever levy units?

You should try it, very often there are city states next to your enemy or in between you and your enemy, recruiting their units is an excellent way to get an army up and running for defensive purposes, to attack without wasting your troops and generally to use production elsewhere while not giving up warmongering.

I think the art looks great too. I think the city states aspect is interesting, you'll want to be very careful not to end up upgrading a nearby city state and then having them flip :D

Interesting too that this basically will make them Barbarossa's number 1 enemy probably. Should be fun to watch those AIs battle it out.

Talking about levying troops: has anyone ever build the Foreign Ministry? And how does it stack with Sumerian's Epic quest?

I may have once, maybe, and then forgot about it. I can see Hungary making great use of it but I cannot imagine it being useful to anyone else, especially with the Intelligence Agency and Grand Master's Chapel being incredibly useful.

This morning I was thinking that perhaps Hungary will get thermal baths with amenity and tourism, and hey, yesss! :)

We have lots of thermal baths, I can easily name a dozen of towns/cities wth them... and Budapest has lots of such baths...

I love how Buda and Pest as different but joined parts are represented by the Danube ability...

And the CS levy thing is great to show Matthias's army

some (not all!) thermal baths in Hungary

upload_2018-11-27_19-37-5.png

I think the art looks great too. I think the city states aspect is interesting, you'll want to be very careful not to end up upgrading a nearby city state and then having them flip :D

Interesting too that this basically will make them Barbarossa's number 1 enemy probably. Should be fun to watch those AIs battle it out.

You would think, but right now agendas seem to make no difference whatsoever on whether war is declared on someone. War declarations seem to be completely dependent on whether the aggressor has an overwhelming military force, which is why the AI has never once declared war on me after Classical Era, regardless of difficulty. If they want to make agendas interesting, then negative modifiers should actually impact whether war is declared.

Thermal Beer Spa? I am there. :D

Alternatively, you could drop Amani in the city state to perhaps do something similar.

Oof, you could pull off some serious skulduggery with Amani versus Hungary. It's enough to make me consider hiring her for the first time ever.

Thermal Beer Spa? I am there. :D

I remember seeing that when I went to the main spa there. Basically it was like a half hour soaking in a tub with beer, with all you can drink. Would have tried it but it was a bit too expensive (I think if you had 2-4 people it came down to a much more reasonable pricetag).

Hem hem...

Here I come, again, from my self proclaimed quest of YouTube comments exploring.

After one hour, when many comments were posted, I can now say...

...they're mostly positive about the Hungarian Civilization! Also, even more surprisingly, I haven't spotted any "Fix AI" or "Add Ottomans" comments. Though some people were concerned whether Hungary isn't too OP.

That's all from me.

I admire you doing the dirty work haha

I did not expect them to literally go with Liszt for the music, but I thoroughly approve.

If it's Liszt, would you recognize the piece?

Wait, is there a german U-Boat between all the late medieval/early renaissance units at the end? :think:

How early do these come? :crazyeye:

When I read threads like this and see people question Poland or Hungary's influence if they deserve to be a civ... I wonder how much history they know of the high middle ages, the Crusades era, and the early Renaissance. Poland and Hungary held the lines in the east, Constantinople fell, Vienna did not.

Vlad Dracula only got his name because his dad was THE DRAGON, you know ;) Russia got famous for losing to the Khans. Poland didn't lose :D

The Wendish Crusade... centuries of warfare along the Danube... so much beautiful history. All with gothic architecture! What's not to love?

Last edited:
I think the agendas are a good idea but implemented too bluntly. I don't mind getting a few grievances or negative points for going against a primary agenda but it shouldn't make them instantly dislike/denounce you and I wish they wouldn't keep blithering on about it because it makes them seem one dimensional.
Yes, it should ramp up, super annoying for, e.g., Wilhelmina to get all upset with me the turn after my trade route to her ends. Something like a ten-turn soft warning would be nice - "We love trade routes. Sending us one would benefit both of us." Then after ten turns if still no trade route, she would complain forcefully, but the negative modifier would accumulate slowly to the max amount if no trade route is sent. Also, no complaining if it's impossible for you to fulfill the agenda at the time.

Top Bottom