[GS] Hungary Discussion Thread

I suspect this is one of those gameplay>realism things. Especially when you hinge a unique on them like the Thermal Bath. The game is just much more enjoyable with a lot of these things around.

It's also why continuing to add "more" to a game creates more and more challenges. We have to have lots of geothermal fissures, or else this game mechanic doesn't work. We also have to have lots of strategic resources, so people can build their unique units that now rely on them. Eventually the whole map gets filled up with things you need to have to make other mechanics work and there's no room to place a district anymore.

It's also why continuing to add "more" to a game creates more and more challenges. We have to have lots of geothermal fissures, or else this game mechanic doesn't work. We also have to have lots of strategic resources, so people can build their unique units that now rely on them. Eventually the whole map gets filled up with things you need to have to make other mechanics work and there's no room to place a district anymore.

That’s why they insist in making chopping such an option ;) !

BUT it also forces you to specialize your cities as districts were intended with everything competing for space, rather than fill a city with as many specialty districts as you can as optimal play. Sure you can do that, but then you forego wonders or the city being able to feed itself, forcing you to rely on trade to feed the city. It actually makes sense from a standpoint on how human settlement works and interacts with the land around it. Sure you can blanket that area in urban development - but now your food source is farther out. Have to import raw materials. Etc.

Was it found that ALL UUs were getting resource requirements or just those that are based on a unit that has resource requirements?

The former seems unlikely to me, especially for turn one UUs like with Monty and Gilgamesh. Though that's one way to nerf them I guess. New strategic resource, 'feathers'.

New strategic resource, 'feathers'.
Too late: Monty used all of them for his Quetzalcoatl costume. :mischief: Thanks, Monty: the resplendent quetzal is extinct, thanks to you! :p

Was it found that ALL UUs were getting resource requirements or just those that are based on a unit that has resource requirements?

The former seems unlikely to me, especially for turn one UUs like with Monty and Gilgamesh. Though that's one way to nerf them I guess. New strategic resource, 'feathers'.
It would be strange indeed to require horses to build Varu as well considering it is a early game cavalry unit.

It would be strange indeed to require horses to build Varu as well considering it is a early game cavalry unit.
That would be unfortunate for India if it required Ivory. :lol:

In the livestream, Ed says that Hungary has a start bias for rivers and geothermal fissures. Between that and the UA, I get the feeling I will be moving my starting settler with them more often than normal in order to gain the best position for having maximum district discounts by not having tiles across the river from my city center occupied by fissures and strat/lux resources.

Definitely one of the civs with a high probability of moving the settler first. If you really get lucky, you could get a river bend like in the Livestream near the city state on the right. Though in that game it was too close to the city state to settle. If it didn't have that mountain on the other side, and the city state wasn't there, he could have placed 5 districts on the other side of the river. That's my dream.

They're demonstrating the new features, so the large numbers of volcanoes and fissures may just be a selection bias.
We were told that Hungary specifically has a start bias for fissures.

Matthias of Hunyad couldn't rest in peace after his death. Two powerful dynasty fought each other for the throne: Habsburg and Jagello. When you wanted to be Hungarian king you had to match for three conditions:

the appropriate place /Basilica of Székesfehérvár - ancient capital of Hungary/,
the appropriate priest to perform ceremony /archbishop of Esztergom and NOT archbishop of Kalocsa/ and
the appropriate crown /Holy Crown of Hungary/.

This was the rule from middle of 13th century, so even Matthias had to repeat the ceremony in 1463, when he bought back the Holy Crown from Habsburg family due to they stole it in 1440 when Albert von Habsburg died, and his wife was pregnant whit later king László V. In exchange Matthias had to promise that after his death the throne will have the Habsburg family...

So the Habsburg army occupied Székesfehérvár for a year in 1491 to ensure the place. The german mercenaries pillaged the tombs of kings in basilica during this time. We don't have to much data about this, and the city of Székesfehérvár conquered Ottoman Empire in 1543. In 1644 the basilica collapsed by an explosion of gunpowder, and everything disappeared forever. In 1848 was dig a well there, so they found an untouched tomb of king: Bela III. ruled Hungary 1172-1196. The symbol of double cross came from him, due to he was a hostige as a boy in Byzantium at court of Manuel emperor... We have nothing else from our kings, just a bunch of bones which mixed with a bones from a later cemetery from there. The bones are waiting for identify in the cellar of Hungarian National Museum.

When Napoleon Bonaparte conquered Vienna in 1806, he got Matthias death-shield as loot. Present day you can watch it in Museum of Les Invalides, Paris. The Hungarian State are trying get it back from the middle of 19th century, but so far just got a copy...
The death-shield of Matthias:
https://www.google.hu/search?q=mátyás+halotti+pajzsa&sa=X&biw=1920&bih=940&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ayvnfEJEofRu5M%3A%2CEyIXqTkcWGdk8M%2C_&usg=AI4_-kSdvbUtiCb0ZmcQFM9_JNnxWsAu5w&ved=2ahUKEwjNuNfcov7eAhUDCSwKHTz5CuwQ9QEwBHoECAYQBA#imgrc=ayvnfEJEofRu5M:

Last edited:
Hungarian goulash, or gulyás?
Goulash would be a great choice. It's a national symbol of Hungary, and paprika-less versions of the dish date back to the Middle Ages.

Woo-hoo!! Hungary finally made it in! Great to see Matthias too. I called it too:

I'm very glad to see Hungary in the top 5 in the poll. They have always been on the top of my list of worthy civs that have never been included. Hungary was one of the largest nations in Europe for a good 600 years. It should absolutely be medieval Hungary, not the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. The leader should be Matthias Corvinus. Lots of cool things to pull for civ abilities. Matthias had the largest library in Europe (after the Vatican), and was the first place in Europe to embrace the Renaissance after Italy. He did a fair bit of conquering with the Black Army of Hungary too.

Goulash would be a great choice. It's a national symbol of Hungary, and paprika-less versions of the dish date back to the Middle Ages.
Except that what you call Goulash is called Pörkölt in Hungary. There is Gulyás is Hungary, from which the international name derives, but it is something different and not the world famous dish. So the gift should be Pörkölt.

Except that what you call Goulash is called Pörkölt in Hungary. There is Gulyás is Hungary, from which the international name derives, but it is something different and not the world famous dish. So the gift should be Pörkölt.

My dad (whose dad's Hungarian) often make us Pörkölt. And I have to admit that, besides being delicious, I didn't know it was written like that. Thanks to teach me something about one quarter of my heritage.
(For those who ask what Pörkölt is: basically pepper (the vegetable, not the spice). With some sort of pasta and meat, but, in the end, it's essentially pepper with pepper. And don't forget to add some pepper to it).

So let me get this straight, Pörköut is the national dish of Hungry?
*Purposeful misspellings :crazyeye:.
Spoiler :
PorkOut.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom