Hurricanes, Typhoons & Cyclones, oh my!

Dateline Wilmington. Things aren't so bad. Not so much destruction, but massive mess. Trees, fences, debris, shingles, assorted litter, and the usual flashfloods everywhere. ~28 inches rainfall (my count).

Taiwan is preparing for the impact of Typhoon Trami, which could be among the strongest storms of the year by the time it hits the island later this week.
As of Monday morning, the storm was still building in strength in the western Pacific near the Philippines and due to reach super typhoon size before the end of the day.
It's expected to hit Taiwan Friday or Saturday at a strength equivalent to a Category 4 or 5 hurricane with winds of up to 270 kilometers per hour (168 mph).

Oh goodie. Another supertyphoon. :wallbash: Thanks Bush. Thanks Trump. Thanks GOP. Thanks Exxon. Thanks British Petroleum. Thanks Shell. :wavey:

This morning was the first time I'd ever heard of a "Medicane."

This morning was the first time I'd ever heard of a "Medicane."
I thought "Medicane" was when the Republicans screwed you out of your medicare/medicare coverage. I.E. Medicaned.

Tropical storms or other cyclone remnants do hit California from time to time. Hurricanes have a hard time hitting the US west coast because the water is too cold, you need to be fairly far down the Mexico coast before the water gets warm enough to support hurricanes.

well , we were spared , not much of even rain in these parts .

well , it turns out this was not the first "Medicane" with the 2017 one having killed people in Italy and Greece . There's debate that it was intentionally "made important" by the press . Can't tell why now that ı don't count for anything and a cousin who lives in the US and was a witness to a Houston one was visiting family , must be why ı was more concerned or whatever .

How exactly was it "made important" by the press? And who exactly is making such a nonsensical claim?

"Medicanes" are a fairly recent thing in terms of actually being properly observed and referred to as such. That doesn't somehow mean that they are an entirely new thing that just appeared this year or last year. They are rare compared to regular cyclones, which is what makes them special, thus leading to increased attention. Especially with their features being closely connected to those of tropical stoms.

Seeing how absolutely no one has claimed that this was the first one of its kind, I have (once again) no idea what you are even trying to say.

some sailor guy that writes a column once a week . Thinks the media blew it out of proportions that floods would strike big towns and glasshouses would be destroyed and like totally we might starve next year . Says it's just a larger version of storms that brew up just off Libya like since the beginning of the time . Might even call the example of some Greek website that the sailors apparently refer to a lot ; the site said no winds in the Aegean to take note of , when the entire Turkish media was calling for the biggest storm ever ... As for firstness we had this spectacle of media rant on whom the Greeks are to name the very first hurricane ever seen in the Med , must be New Turkey genes that require them to be meddling in everythind . That 2017 was a "previous" Medicane is also from the same column ...

How exactly was it "made important" by the press? And who exactly is making such a nonsensical claim?

"Medicanes" are a fairly recent thing in terms of actually being properly observed and referred to as such. That doesn't somehow mean that they are an entirely new thing that just appeared this year or last year. They are rare compared to regular cyclones, which is what makes them special, thus leading to increased attention. Especially with their features being closely connected to those of tropical stoms.

Seeing how absolutely no one has claimed that this was the first one of its kind, I have (once again) no idea what you are even trying to say.

I recall reading somewhere (Wunderground blog I think) that as the Mediterannean SSTs get higher they will become more common.

Hurricane Michael to hit Florida Wednesday as Cat-3.

Michael, now a Category 1 hurricane slashing Cuba, is forecast to be a "dangerous major hurricane" when it smacks the US Gulf Coast on Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center said.

The forecast indicates Michael may be a Category 3 hurricane -- with winds from 111 to 129 mph -- when it strikes.
"Life-threatening storm surge is possible along portions of the Florida Gulf Coast regardless of the storm's exact track or intensity," the center said. "Well-built framed homes may incur major damage or removal of roof decking and gable ends. Many trees will be snapped or uprooted, blocking numerous roads. Electricity and water will be unavailable for several days to weeks after the storm passes."

Hurricane Michael to hit Florida Wednesday as Cat-3.
As absolutely awful and horrific as these storms are (I'm not belittling them at all), at least we don't have to face the Red Spot of Jupiter!

Only a Cat 3 ?
Dont worry Republicans, Trump will be down there soon with some towels

some sailor guy that writes a column once a week . Thinks the media blew it out of proportions that floods would strike big towns and glasshouses would be destroyed and like totally we might starve next year . Says it's just a larger version of storms that brew up just off Libya like since the beginning of the time . Might even call the example of some Greek website that the sailors apparently refer to a lot ; the site said no winds in the Aegean to take note of , when the entire Turkish media was calling for the biggest storm ever ... As for firstness we had this spectacle of media rant on whom the Greeks are to name the very first hurricane ever seen in the Med , must be New Turkey genes that require them to be meddling in everythind . That 2017 was a "previous" Medicane is also from the same column ...

And?
Just because some random sailor writes a column doesn't somehow make it in any way meaningful. You fill find a person for basically every claim you could possibly make. Just like you find people who think something is really bad (or not really bad) even though the facts don't really support it. It makes no sense whatsoever to use that as proof for anything.

Medicanes have been around for quite some time. They were already referenced as such in 2011 in a scientific paper as well. Just because you can find one or two examples of incompetent media doesn't somehow mean that "the press blew it out of proportion". Much less that they are doing it intentionally. All you are doing here, is putting out nonsensical claims because a handful of people said something absurd. None of these people represent the press/media as a whole, nor does anything they say mean much when it comes to the actual existing knowledge. The accepted facts were that these storms have existed before and that they are pretty rare. No need to conjure up a storm (ha!) because a few people lacked the needed knowledge to present those facts properly.

the Press in New Turkey definetely blew it out of proportion . It might sound somehow impertinent or whatever that the replacements of the Republic - as a global policy or something- have joined the "Dumb every down" method of doing things . ı might even claim that they did it so that they could claim global warming was changing everything and that's why the claims a certain amount of rain a few months back was not of the kind "seen-every-seven-years" but "never-seen-a hundred and forty five years" type so that the railways management could claim that it was an Act of God that killed 25 people in a train accident . And not poor management , where the guys who investigate the accidents for an unbiased report are the guys who also advise the company and stuff that build the same railroad .

real thickhead here , but a simple sprinkling of the scientific method . Has done some amount of good for me ...

Top Bottom