Largest recorded huricane hitting Mexico.

Cutlass

The Man Who Wasn't There.
Monster storm makes landfall in Mexico
David Agren and Doyle Rice, USA TODAY 7:59 p.m. EDT October 23, 2015

MONTERREY, Mexico — Tens of thousands of people were being evacuated Friday from Mexico's Pacific coast as one of the the strongest hurricanes ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere made landfall in the popular tourist area packing sustained winds of 165 mph, down from 200 mph earlier in the day.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center predicted the Category 5 Hurricane Patricia would make a "potentially catastrophic landfall."

But wind speeds were lower than expected when Patricia's much-anticipated arrival finally came. Earlier in the day, the center described the storm as the most powerful ever recorded in the eastern Pacific or Atlantic basins. It warned of powerful winds and torrential rain that could bring life-threatening flash flooding and dangerous, destructive storm surge.

Patricia, while still potentially deadly, falls short of the highest winds ever recorded at landfall. Typhoon Haiyan had winds of 195 mph as it slammed into the Philippines in November 2013, leaving more than 7,300 people dead or missing, primarily from its massive 15- to 19-foot storm surge.

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto said during a radio interview on Friday that he didn't want to create panic in the western states of Jalisco, Colima and Nayarit that are in Patricia's path, but that it's important for people there to understand the magnitude of the historic storm.

Nieto said Patricia has surpassed the constraints of the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale, which defines a top-rated category 5 storm as having wind speeds higher than 156 mph.

"If there were a category six for hurricanes, this would be a category six," he said. "It's a hurricane that hasn't been seen before, not just in Mexico, not just in the United States. It has wind speeds that are greater than the most intense, strongest hurricanes ever recorded on the planet."

Nieto said the entirety of the federal government is responding to the storm, working with state and local officials to coordinate evacuations and position emergency personnel to respond. He told Mexicans that they have some difficult days ahead, but urged them to follow the instructions of their local authorities to survive the oncoming storm.

"Patricia is one of the strongest tropical cyclones globally ever observed based on lowest central pressure and maximum surface (and flight level) wind speed since the dawn of aviation-based reconnaissance in the 1940s," said WeatherBell meteorologist Ryan Maue.

Patricia's winds intensified a whopping 109 mph during Thursday, rising from a tropical storm to a Category 4 hurricane by that evening. It was the fastest intensification ever recorded in the eastern Pacific Ocean, according to meteorologist Phil Klotzbach of Colorado State University.

Roberto Ramirez, director of Mexico's National Water Commission, said Hurricane Patricia is powerful enough to lift up automobiles and destroy homes not sturdily built with cement and steel. The storm will also be able to drag people caught outside when it strikes. Those on the coast will be in the most danger, especially people living in the state of Jalisco, which has a population of more than 7.3 million, he said.

In a Category 5 hurricane, a high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse, according to the hurricane center. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months, and most of the area will be uninhabitable for that same period of time.

At 5 p.m. ET, Hurricane Patricia was 60 miles west of Manzanillo, Mexico, moving to the north-northeast at 14 mph, the hurricane center said. The storm is expected to remain an extremely dangerous Category 5 hurricane through landfall, the agency said.

A total of 50,000 people were expected to be evacuated ahead of the storm, according to civil protection agencies in the three Mexican states of Colima, Jalisco, and Nayarit, Vallarta Daily reported. Those regions house the port city of Manzanillo and the town of Puerto Vallarta, a resort town with a large expatriate community from the U.S. and Canada.

Rest of story here.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne-patricia-strongest-ever-measured/74446334/

Nieto said the entirety of the federal government is responding to the storm, working with state and local officials to coordinate evacuations and position emergency personnel to respond. He told Mexicans that they have some difficult days ahead, but urged them to follow the instructions of their local authorities to survive the oncoming storm.

So are the cartels helping the government or taking advantage of the circumstances?

I for one thank mother nature. We need more hurricanes and all over the world.

Would be nice to get some of nature's vengeance in the UK for a change. The only one time I ever got to feel an earthquake was a teeny tiny rumble at night time. I want to reach 10/10 on the Richter scale. I was always taught that anything less than 100% is unacceptable, so why does Earth get away with producing much less all the time?

made landfall in the popular tourist area packing sustained winds of 165 mph, down from 200 mph earlier in the day.

Holy crap! :eek:
Good luck Mexico

I want to reach 10/10 on the Richter scale. I was always taught that anything less than 100% is unacceptable, so why does Earth get away with producing much less all the time?

I think I read somewhere that 12 is as high as an earthquake can go on Earth. :hmm:

I think I read somewhere that 12 is as high as an earthquake can go on Earth. :hmm:

I think I read that the asteroid impact in the Yucatan theoretically produced a 13. But you could debate whether that qualifies as "on earth," exactly.

I for one thank mother nature. We need more hurricanes and all over the world.

Would be nice to get some of nature's vengeance in the UK for a change. The only one time I ever got to feel an earthquake was a teeny tiny rumble at night time. I want to reach 10/10 on the Richter scale. I was always taught that anything less than 100% is unacceptable, so why does Earth get away with producing much less all the time?

The Richter scale actually stops being useful at around a level of 6. While the media keeps mentioning the Richter scale at earthquakes that exceed that level, it is actually not the scale that is being used for earthquakes like that ;)

This was a really interesting hurricane to watch. It intensified from a garden-variety tropical storm to a Category 5 in less than 24 hours, reaching the highest sustained wind speeds ever reliably recorded outside of a tornado: 200 mph, with gusts to 240+. This is like a high F4 or low F5 tornado, except with hurricane-force winds ~40 miles wide instead of ~1. If there were a such thing as a Category 6, it would easily have qualified. It weakened back to a "normal" Category 5 by the time it made landfall. And it appears that it missed any significant cities, with no reports of deaths in Mexico so far. There will probably be a few from flooding, but overall I don't feel as guilty for cheering for the hurricane as I usually do when something like this makes landfall. ;)

Here's to hoping people got out of the way and to shelter quickly enough--the intensification over a 24-hour period time didn't leave a lot of room for error.

According to Vox, it would have been a Category 7 storm at peak if the scale didn't cap off.

This isn't anywhere near the "largest recorded hurricane". That is unless you think what they have in the other hemisphere aren't "hurricanes" but "typhoons"...

Tens of thousands of people were being evacuated Friday from Mexico's Pacific coast as one of the the strongest hurricanes ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere made landfall in the popular tourist area packing sustained winds of 165 mph, down from 200 mph earlier in the day.

EDIT: I take that back. They are claiming no storm prior to 1970 counts because the ability to accurately measure the wind velocity didn't exist prior to that, even though I personally experienced 2 typhoons with winds estimated greater than 200 mph while living in Okinawa in the 50s. Apparently, there is now a difference between what used to be considered to be "facts" and "recorded facts".

So what criteria are you using for "largest"? I'm assuming that when someone points out that we have been talking about intensity of sustained wind and in that regard it did exceed any typhoon recorded you will either claim some alternative characteristic of measure or just start screaming "personal attack, personal attack," so let's cut to the chase. I wouldn't want to disagree with you, so go ahead and tell us all the criteria we should be using instead of sustained wind speed.

This isn't anywhere near the "largest recorded hurricane". That is unless you think what they have in the other hemisphere aren't "hurricanes" but "typhoons"...

That's a very un-American hemisphere, so I divide all their storm values by 10.

We're several hundred miles away and we have had a foot of rain in the last 36 hours. This after only five inches since 4 July. Heaven help the coast when the run-off converges.

J

Don't forget than in Australia and the Indian Ocean, they're "cyclones." :nono:
Heh.

Well, it turns out that isn't the reason at all. Again, they don't count any hurricane/cyclone/typhoon prior to 1970. It is as if they simply never existed as far as the "official" record is concerned because the way they measure the wind velocity wasn't what they now use.

We're several hundred miles away and we have had a foot of rain in the last 36 hours. This after only five inches since 4 July. Heaven help the coast when the run-off converges.

J
It is also raining cats and dogs in Austin where Formula 1 is trying to conduct a race. Practice 2 was cut short. So was practice 3. And qualifying was completely rained out. No telling what will happen to the race tomorrow...

Here's to hoping people got out of the way and to shelter quickly enough--the intensification over a 24-hour period time didn't leave a lot of room for error.

According to Vox, it would have been a Category 7 storm at peak if the scale didn't cap off.

But they only go to Category 5.
5 is the highest, right?

Link to video.

Top Bottom