Major Hurricane Earl

Dumping a foot of rain in a very short period of time isn't wussy at all.

The rain may have not been wussy, but the storm sure was.

Though, actually I take that back, it actually formed pretty fast, and thus, wasn't wussy. Within a day it went a from a TD, to a TS, to a hurricane.

I hope it misses W Falmouth; My parents have house there and its on the water. A big surge might do terrible damage. :(

Why does everybody have to make me feel bad for enjoying severe weather? :( I don't want peoples' stuff ruined and I don't want people to get hurt, I just really like crazy strong wild storms. It's not as though my looking forward to it is going to make anything any more or less likely. :(

OK, let's just get something straight, Iran is AUTHORITARIAN. Not far-right. You are getting the two confused.

When I say "The farthest Right conservatives" I'm thinking of the likes of the most socially conservative politicians, such as Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee (Who, IIRC, are more socially conservative than most if not all politicians in Canada and Europe as well.) I am not thinking of the Muslim Theocracies.

Do you mean isn't? Because, Iran already has capital punishment for homosexuality, and they think Allah is pleased with it (Which he isn't since he doesn't exist;))

Good God, OT, can't we have a thread about the weather? :crazyeye:

Hurricanes, Yay....

Why does everybody have to make me feel bad for enjoying severe weather? :( I don't want peoples' stuff ruined and I don't want people to get hurt, I just really like crazy strong wild storms. It's not as though my looking forward to it is going to make anything any more or less likely. :(

Every silver lining has its cloud. Anticipate with earnest fervor and the rest will take care of itself. :)

Does anybody know what they are predicting for NYC?

Don't worry, you're not alone, I love severe weather. Why do you think I enjoy living in Chicago so much? :D

Nothing too bad it seems, you won't get hurricane force winds, and the chance for tropical storm force is rather slim.

I like severe weather too. I also want damage because it's job security for both my parents and for my dad gives me work as well. We're getting flyers ready to stick in mailboxes if there's any damage. Unfortunately it looks liek the storm will go out to sea and leave us with just some light wind and rain.

Do hurricanes ever make it (back) across the Atlantic and hit Europe?

Do hurricanes ever make it (back) across the Atlantic and hit Europe?

Very, very, very rarely. In fact, only one hurricane, since 1842, has made landfall in Europe. Hurricane Vince.

By the time most hurricanes recurve and make it out into the colder waters of the Atlantic, they transform into extratropical cyclones, which have a cold-core rather than a warm-core, a defining characteristic of tropical systems.

Very, very, very rarely. In fact, only one hurricane, since 1842, has made landfall in Europe. Hurricane Vince.

By the time most hurricanes recurve and make it out into the colder waters of the Atlantic, they transform into extratropical cyclones, which have a cold-core rather than a warm-core, a defining characteristic of tropical systems.

A few hurricanes have reached Europe. Most notably Debbie and Faith. Faith was the longest tracked hurricane on record with a 7500 mile track. It fizzled out as a remnant low near Franz Josefs Land - not far from the geographic north pole; That's a far way to go from the Cape Verde Islands :crazyeye:

A few hurricanes have reached Europe. Most notably Debbie and Faith. Faith was the longest tracked hurricane on record with a 7500 mile track. It fizzled out as a remnant low near Franz Josefs Land - not far from the geographic north pole; That's a far way to go from the Cape Verde Islands :crazyeye:

Well, I was talking about landfalling storms, in which my statements are true. If you include storms like Faith, which made it incredibly far north, but fizzled out before landfall in Europe, then you'll get a ton more. :)

EDIT: Forgot about Debbie, then yes, my statements were somewhat false, but it still is EXTREMELY rare for that to happen. Mainly do to position of the Azores High n'stuff.

Just rain and wind. Just like where I am, though were I am, its going to be more rain. Yet everyone is running around like chickens with there heads cut off. Like they never experienced a hurricane before. (Its the same story anytime a major winter storm/nor'easter/blizzard comes in)

A hurricane directly hitting NYC would make for a great horrible-plot-bad-acting disaster flick. :lol:
You could've just shortened that to "disaster flick" and lost nothing in the telling.

A hurricane directly hitting NYC would make for a great horrible-plot-bad-acting disaster flick. :lol:

It's not like it never happens though, New York has had it's fair share of hurricanes. They just don't happen too frequently, due to the positioning of highs that will make hurricanes recurve out to sea before they can make it that far north.

I was living in Manhattan when Hurricane Gloria hit Long Island in 1985 not that far away (about 30 miles). The director of the National Hurricane Center called it "the Storm of the Century" to try to get people to take him seriously. Except for inconveniencing many with no power for a few days due to all the trees that fell on power lines, it did little damage except to homes directly on the Atlantic which were in such poor locations that they couldn't even get hurricane insurance coverage.

Top Bottom