I need a book to read.

Maybe pity funny...but not real funny. ZMOG LIBRULS SUCK! HAHAHAHA.

Actually, in reading some of her columns, her wit is a bit more sharp than that.

Besides, this book is blabbing about people like me (Christians, religious, and democrats) cannot exsist, and my intellectual peers are running around trying to subvert everything good and holy with this country. I'll pass on spending 20 bucks and a few hours on that. I get that enough from you.

Its out in paperback now, so its affordable to all.

If you really don't want to support someone by giving them disposable income, I suppose you could always buy used.

Actually, in reading some of her columns, her wit is a bit more sharp than that.
No, not really.

Not good enough to read real books yet I fear. I still kinda struggle with newspapers.

Well, when you do get good enough to read books (and I'm sure you will, it's not a hard language), I would recommend the books of João Guimarães Rosa, my favourite brazilian author. Above all I recommend his master piece Grande Sertão: Veredas (English title (not really a good translation): The Devil to Pay in the Backlands. It's one of the most fascinating books I ever read, though it might be too complicated, linguistically speaking, for someone learning the language, so maybe the best thing to do is to wait a few years. Do read it eventually though (and don't bother with the english version, this book must be read in portuguese).

I agree with downtown. There's only so much time, and there are *so* many better books to read out there then ann friggen coulter (or, for that matter, Al Franken). If you really want to read the foundational documents of neoconism read some Straussian stuff. Be advised that their fidelity to the classics they cite though has been proven to be horrible.

"Lipstick Traces: A Secret History of the Twentieth Century" by Greil Marcus is undoubtedly one of the strangest yet interesting/mildly illuminating books I have read.

It touches on topics such as dadaism and situationism, trying to connect them in a (to me at least) rather mind-boggling yet amusing way to the Sex Pistols and the punk revolution of the 1970's.

Further details:
http://www.amazon.com/Lipstick-Traces-History-Twentieth-Century/dp/0674535812

Don't know if that's your cup of tea, tho :)

Downtown, I've almost finished a really excellent book called "The Art of Learning". As someone who's read alot of self-help type stuff, I will quickly admit that much of it isn't very inspiring but this book is, it's also quite interesting simply as an autobiography. I'll probably write a full review of it tomorrow (when I finish).

I would recommend Atlas Shrugged, but most people find the length a bit daunting.
I did. It didn't draw me in quickly enough like the Fountainhead, which I admit I found to be pretty good at the time (shoot, I still think it's a decent novel, albeit a not entirely sound philosophy, IMO).

"Lipstick Traces: A Secret History of the Twentieth Century" by Greil Marcus is undoubtedly one of the strangest yet interesting/mildly illuminating books I have read.

It touches on topics such as dadaism and situationism, trying to connect them in a (to me at least) rather mind-boggling yet amusing way to the Sex Pistols and the punk revolution of the 1970's.

Further details:
http://www.amazon.com/Lipstick-Traces-History-Twentieth-Century/dp/0674535812

Don't know if that's your cup of tea, tho :)
Actually, that sounds kinda cool. When I go to return these books in a few weeks, maybe I'll check that out.

I would recommend Atlas Shrugged, but most people find the length a bit daunting.

I couldnt get into Atlas Shrugged...like Narz, I read the Fountainhead instead. As a book, they aren't *that* bad, (although I don't see myself picking one up again for fun), but I very much disagree with the philosophy. My mother was right when she told me I shouldn't read them until I was out of high school.

"Downtown, don't do what I did, and read these before you're ready. They can turn any teenager into a raging douchebag for years"

Read Flowers for Algernon. Its a book almost nobody knows about, but I found it quite interesting, and its still an easy read.

Read Flowers for Algernon. Its a book almost nobody knows about, but I found it quite interesting, and its still an easy read.

We had an excerpt of that in my English book in...eight grade, I think?

I loved it. It was so good!

Read the type of book that you would have hated having to read for a class in HS. You'd be surprised how much classic literature gets better when you are reading it as leisure.

I did. It didn't draw me in quickly enough like the Fountainhead, which I admit I found to be pretty good at the time (shoot, I still think it's a decent novel, albeit a not entirely sound philosophy, IMO).

If you want to check out Ayn, there's always "Anthem". It's only about 100 pages and a great story about human nature and individuality.

My recommendations (modern fiction):

Hemingway:
For whom the bell tolls
To have and have not
A farewell to arms
The snows of Kilimanjaro (short story)

John Irving:
Setting free the bears
The 158-pound marriage
A prayer for Owen Meany
A widow for one year

Its out in paperback now, so its affordable to all.

I've read some large chunks of Ann Coulter's books, and they're actually pretty good. Some parts are just slanderizing nonsense that lump the entire spectrum of views held by Democrats into one, crazy liberal box.

But yeah, her material is interesting and does give good perspectives.

I read that book in High School. It isn't a bad read, but I dont think I'll revisit it.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm going back to the Columbus Met. Library next week

Top Bottom