I need a book to read.

playboy always works for me

Playboy's not a book. It does have decent articles sometimes though. Though I prefer the New Yorker.

if it has writing, pages, and a cover then its a book to me, playboy happens to be the only thing i ever read!

Well he said he wasn't interested in fantasy.

some of the racks look real to me

Harry Pottuh
I finished the 7th book just a few days ago. I normally do not like Fantasy, but I really enjoyed the HP books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collapse-So...0963967?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185921841&sr=8-2

Given Guns, Germs and Steel is required reading for OT the follow up Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Survive is interesting.

I started GGS last year, read maybe 70 pages, and just couldn't get into it. Is the second book better?

"Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy" by Thomas Sowell.
(A supplement to the above: Applied Economics, by the same author.)

I'll post more as I think of them.

I cannot stand Sowell. I've read a lot of his work regarding Education Policy, and the guy is simply a total partisan hack, divorced from reality. I'm sure that any "Common Sense" guide that he writes will be hardly that...or at the very least, not be an enjoyable reading experience for me.

Any book from
WODEHOUSE

You'll enjoy them!

"The Shah of Shahs" and "The Emperor" by Kapuscinski. The first one is about the last Shah of Iran and the revolution and its implications, the second about the Emperor of Ethiopia, with a very insightful description of his Machiavellian ways and his court.

Both a splendid read, as easy flowing as fiction, poetically insightful, you can practically hear the subtle swoosh of your horizons expanding.

Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn.

I don't know anything about these. Tell me more.

Wodehouse is brilliant.

As for the two books - Naipaul has made two journeys among the "converted" Muslim world (Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, and Malaysia). By "converted", he means those who were not culturally Muslim before conversion - in effect, all non-Arab societies who converted.

He went as an unbiased observer - and while there, he made a study of the history of the region to better understand its present. The result it an absolutely masterful, and unbelievably prophetic, set of two books. The first one was some time after the Iranian Islamic Revolution, and the second in 1998.

His observations are truly beautiful. Through it, I found it much easier to understand how that part of the world works. The best part is that he is one of the few truly unbiased people out there - he didn't go there with an agenda or prejudices, and that can be seen in his work, which states everything as it is.

Bible and Quran are pretty good books.

Wodehouse is brilliant.

As for the two books - Naipaul has made two journeys among the "converted" Muslim world (Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, and Malaysia). By "converted", he means those who were not culturally Muslim before conversion - in effect, all non-Arab societies who converted.

He went as an unbiased observer - and while there, he made a study of the history of the region to better understand its present. The result it an absolutely masterful, and unbelievably prophetic, set of two books. The first one was some time after the Iranian Islamic Revolution, and the second in 1998.

His observations are truly beautiful. Through it, I found it much easier to understand how that part of the world works. The best part is that he is one of the few truly unbiased people out there - he didn't go there with an agenda or prejudices, and that can be seen in his work, which states everything as it is.

Those books sound really great! Gonna have to check them out.

You would probably like the Kapuscinski books I've recommended.

Sweet! I'm sure I'll like it.

Wodehouse is brilliant.
But what IS Wodehouse? Is that the author? Is it a series of books? What genre?
Bible and Quran are pretty good books.

By virtue of being Christian, I've already read the Bible...and I'll be honest, I just don't feel like reading the Quran in the near future. Not interested, doesn't seem like good summer reading.

I'm getting Moneyball on monday. The OSU library is going to try and buy a copy of the Prosner book Fifty recomended, but I might not get to read it for a month :(

But what IS Wodehouse? Is that the author? Is it a series of books? What genre?
P.G. Wodehouse, the greatest comedic author of them all. Blandings Castle, the Drones Club, and above all, Jeeves and Wooster. I would enthusiatically second the recommendation. Beyond that, I rather like Norwich's latest, The Middle Sea, which is very good and as readable as always. One of my favourite books of the last few years is Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, which, though technically fantasy, is quite different from the schlock normally associated with the genre. Even if you generally don't like fantasy, it's worth a look.

Top Bottom