I need a new NFL team to root for

Now, I know this is an American football thread (where I usually am too nonplussed to comment) but this seems just a bit too mental.

Support your local team. Or don't. Don't spend a decade supporting one team and then just go "ah, these are bobbins, I'm going to support someone a thousand miles away." Is this really acceptable in the US? I don't want to have a go at anyone here, it's just that this is totally alien to me.

Its typically frowned upon. Cincinnati isn't exactly my local team. There are actually 4 pro football teams roughly the same distance from me. I picked the Bengals when I was maybe 7 years old, for totally arbitrary reasons, and supported them.

I think I ought to be granted an exception, because professional sports teams in Ohio tend to be very bad, no matter what. Cleveland is the most cursed sports city in America...and all that heartbreak kind of builds up and bleeds into each other, and I just can't take it. There isn't even any hope for the Cincinnati Bengals. They are not going to be good again in the near future.

I think it is different in America. Shift over here and you will be taunted and shunned but all fans. Acceptable reasons for shifting to a new team would be after five years of living in a new town or if a member of your immediate family is involved with a club. The fact that the team is rubbish just doesnt cut it.

...The fact that the team is rubbish just doesnt cut it.
:lol: no doubt!

downtown,
dude, you're a Bungles...er...Bengals fan :mischief: that, in and of itself, is (or should be) a badge of honor :p you've endured decades of futility...and to simply wash your hands of it is...well...the cheap way out imho.

of course, i'm a philly fan and have endured decades of futility my damn self :D however, never, and i repeat, never would i even think of jumping ship...ever.

of course, i'm a philly fan and have endured decades of futility my damn self :D however, never, and i repeat, never would i even think of jumping ship...ever.

That's because you lot compensate by taking sadistic pleasure in keelhauling
the poor slobs that play for the Philly teams... :p

That's because you lot compensate by taking sadistic pleasure in keelhauling
the poor slobs that play for the Philly teams... :p
:lol: we're a strange bunch for sure :lol: but loyal (to a fault!). philly fans imo, while ridiculed, are misunderstood :crazyeye:

That's nothing. I'm a . .. .. .. .ing ucbs fan.

wow, a broncos fan from Costa Rica and Toronto, and i dont THINK fifty is coloradan either, but I could be wrong. We seem to be a widespread fan base (and STILL don't have the Nashville Predators problem. They have thousands of fans, who live NOWHERE near Nashville, and dont go to the games.)

Still, endure at least in part. Pick a second team, but dont just say "i Hate the Bengals." Its been too long for that. I could never hate Toronto Maple Leafs because we suck, or the Saints for failing forever.

OSU are rather spread out in the NFL, tbh. and he DID say NO ravens, so now Troy Smith.

wow, a broncos fan from Costa Rica and Toronto, and i dont THINK fifty is coloradan either, but I could be wrong.

Well I was born in Colorado, lived there until I was 4. However, that has nothing to do with my fanship. ITS ALL ABOUT ELWAY!

I know your a Bengals fan (yuck) and I know you said it couldn't be a team from the AFC North, but you have to consider the Steelers, because lets face it, we win ... a lot and the rest of the AFC North does not.

cubbie,

you cleverly left out jordan's bulls & the '86 super bowl title. we spent the whole decade of the '90s wondering if any other team or teams would ever win a friggin' nba title :p

So I hate the nba and I wasn't born yet for the 86 title.

I know your a Bengals fan (yuck) and I know you said it couldn't be a team from the AFC North, but you have to consider the Steelers, because lets face it, we win ... a lot and the rest of the AFC North does not.

But you're also inbred toothless yinzers, so that disqualifies you from consideration.

I'm a Carolina fan. I'm pretty unsure of the direction we're going. We unloaded a guy, Kris Jenkins, who after leaving said he "gave up on the coaching staff" years ago. Granted Jenkins always showed up out of shape to camp, had 2 season ending injuries that caused him to only play in 2-3 games over the span of 2 years and was on the trading block the last two seasons. He probably had a lot of reasons to gripe. Still, our coaching staff drives a lot of us nuts. Fox is too conservative for his own good. It makes for some pretty dull football. Plus, being in the Cincy area, unless you have Sunday Ticket you'll have a hard time ever seeing our games.

Still, our coaching staff drives a lot of us nuts.

You said that right! they kept D. Morgan long after ALL the fans knew he was injury prone, then last year they drafted a WR that was said to be a younger version of Keyshawn Johnson....then dumped Keyshawn before they ever even entered a lockeroom together...(everyone knows a rookie WR can't be relied on to be the #1 or even #2 WR, it takes atleast 2-3 years before they are consistent producers.) They let Witherspoon go....

Go ahead, you all talk among yourselves...I'm getting veclemt. :cry:

You said that right! they kept D. Morgan long after ALL the fans knew he was injury prone, then last year they drafted a WR that was said to be a younger version of Keyshawn Johnson....then dumped Keyshawn before they ever even entered a lockeroom together...(everyone knows a rookie WR can't be relied on to be the #1 or even #2 WR, it takes atleast 2-3 years before they are consistent producers.) They let Witherspoon go....

Go ahead, you all talk among yourselves...I'm getting veclemt. :cry:

We have had pretty sorry luck with QBs and RBs the last couple of years too.

Become a all blacks fan, buy some all blacks gear. When people go "who are they" say "The greatest rugby team ever! you know like football but without the pads!"

And people will think your forigen and exotic.

Top Bottom