1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I think there is something wrong with diplomacy

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by code99, Oct 22, 2016.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

I don't have a problem with AI declaring surprise wars but they should be prepared to follow through. I get the impression that the AI just declares war whenever the diplo modifiers hit a certain number regardless of whether they have an army or are even ready to go to war. In my current game, each AI neighbor declared war on me one at a time but did nothing. Pericles declared war with almost no military. So I invade him and take all his cities. A few dozen turns later, China declares war with almost no military. So I invade China and take 3 cities. Then about a hundred turns later, Saladin declares war. He had a small army but by now I was several eras ahead so my military was much stronger. I easily steamrolled him and took all his cities. It is 1700AD and I have entered the atomic era with like 12 cities. Pedro is pissed at me because I have more GP than him so I imagine he will probably declare war on me, even though my military is far superior.

2. code99

code99 Chieftain

Yes, that too ... in my latest game England declared war on me (idk why) and had little to no troops, i took 2 cities and then made peace.
    Ofcource, everyone then denounced me because of my warmongering ...

3. Thorn

Thorn Chieftain

You know, I forgot about that. I did read that earlier in the game there was a lot more war and it settled down later in the game. I hope that's the case.

4. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Ancient era wars are supposed to be common. I had two civs declare war on me literally the moment I met them. Personally, I wasn't bothered by this. I see no reason to be bothered by this sort of thing. Virtually no diplomatic relations have been established in this part of the game and there are no warmonger penalties. The A.I. should have nothing to weight it's actions against - no friendly relations, no consequences.

Later in the game I'm finding the A.I. declare war far less often and very rarely have they ever been surprise wars.

The diplomacy doesn't seem 'broken' to me. I just don't think we quite understand it and it involves actually fostering diplomatic relations. I've been able to war consistently without the entire world turning against me. So far I've typically been able to maintain at least two friendly civs in 8 player games. This is while conquering at least one or two other civs.

Considering I'm included in that player count - a bloc of 3 out of 8 players being friends with each other while 1 is able to conquer 2 more seems more than enough. Though even the A.I. that hate me never seem to bother me. For a time I had the lowest score in the game on my first game, jumping in on immortal. The Aztecs were a screen away from me and practically had me denounced the entire game and never declared war on me.

The game came out yesterday - play around with it some more. Send the A.I. trade routs and make a new favorable trade deal with them every 10-15 turns - even if it's a minor gift of gold. Also give them open borders, even if they won't trade it back. All of these things give positive modifiers.

I think the issue with diplomacy is that it's not as passive as in previous versions - No one has a reason to like you unless you give them one. So wars early make sense; later, if you conduct business as usual without establishing relations with the A.I. it'll turn red real quick.

UncivilizedGuy likes this.
  5. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia Chieftain

Denouncement is the national sport of the Civ VI world... Better get used to it, because you're in for a whole lot! :lol::goodjob:

6. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer Chieftain

Wait really? Can anyone confirm this? If this is true it's completely game breaking and makes no sense.

7. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Can't really assess or comment on Apoll's situation when they don't state the difficulty level.

8. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Well I just told a few posts ago that I DoWed my neighbors twice, no one yet DoWed me, even more so Saladdin after a few turns (20-30) doesn't seem to have a grudge with me for liberating CS from under him, Cleo that hates me all game, never DoWed and when I DoWed she put up a fight, got my army wiped and sued for peace. That is king. Maybe I should try prince or lower, it sounds like those are the difficulties where s### happens :lol:

9. Usama84

Usama84 Chieftain

AI wants to conquer your land, that sounds like a good enough reason to me ;)

10. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I was attacked on Settler numerous times. The AI seems to be able to shoot ahead of me Tech and Civic wise (despite the fact that this diffuclty should be for learning the basics of a game). If it wasn't for the fact that the AI never upgrades I'd probably be scared.

I dunno, something doesn't seem right.

11. pietro1990

pietro1990 Chieftain

AI spams units wich results them in to lagging behind in science and culture so when you reach the industrial they will still move with horsemen and archers

12. code99

code99 Chieftain

Yes but they dont lag behind in neither of those. Idk i might be playing really bad but I doubt its that. They are always the first to advance to new eras, at least they do in my games.

TheMarshmallowBear likes this.
  13. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Chieftain

I won't defend the diplomacy system or AI tech rates on Prince and below, which both sound as broken as CiV vanilla right now, but -

Please have more than 1/5th the army of your neighbors! If you don't want them to try to bring some goodies home to their citizens from your lands, which obviously they should do from their perspective

14. code99

code99 Chieftain

In order to do that means fall behind in other areas, science, civcs etc. Also, maintenance is an issue which doesnt apply to the AI. No matter how many cities or how advanced the AI is, it will have a large army nonetheless. Me on the other hand ...

But, i guess ill try and find a way

15. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I love how people make excuses for the mess this game is at the moment. I do believe it will be fixed in a patch.

16. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Chieftain

Sure, it's a tax on progress. Probably your tech and culture rate aren't going to fall back more than a few turns, even if you take 20 turns out of every city for unit spam, and on the flip side a ton of eurekas are pinned to what your units do.

17. OTiger

OTiger Chieftain

I wonder if the score victory is a culprit for this, at least partially.
    Following from this Reddit thread, is seems it might occur since attacking cities and killing units increases your score.

If not, I guess it'll get patched up eventually (Maybe).

18. GeneralTaco

GeneralTaco Chieftain

Also I believe that the AI just mass produces units because of the military policy reducing unit maintenance by 1( and more later on). It can be achieved through research only a measly 3 civics away from the beginning.
    But I had no problem early on with AI DoW, but that is prob because I was Germany and instantly rushed units, then conquered two adjacent city state( one was Jerusalem, so I guess I got that achievement within an hour of release I guess...). I so far have never been declared war on in my German game. But, as Scythia I have been declared war on by both Brazil, and Greece(Pericles) at the same time. Greece was justified because of their agenda, and Brazil was because I settled close to their capital. This was easily taken care of, because it was in the start. So I quickly mustered my UU force, and made peace with Pericles, and plan to take over Brazil.

Edit: I have the score victory enabled for my German game, and score victory disabled on my Scythian game.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  19. bkn42

bkn42 Chieftain

From reading everyone's posts, it does sound like it is a real issue.

I think there's some good ideas that the devs are trying to implement (I.e. wars scaling down over the ages), but it needs to be fixed.