Ideas for enhancing "A Brave New World"

Extreme late-game could be funny.

"Year 2437: Excavating the irradiated ruins of an ancient city, your archaeological rediscover the United Nations building!"

That would be extremely fun. Bonus points if you settle a city within sight of the ruins of an old city and can spend money to restore the wonder.

That's a very good idea. Of course it would not function as it did before but might give science, culture and tourism bonuses.

I really hope they revisit some of the old civs and rebalance some of the UAs/UBs/UUs some more. There's still some civs that are just downright weak compared to others.

I just want to see powerful civ 4 mechanics return such as:
1) An ability to somehow change the focus of your empire, the thing that civics/sliders did.
2) Capitulation, tech trading (RAs are good but can't supplant tech trading), circumvent the globe bonus. I can't use you Genghis to indirectly attack my enemies when you still have pikes and they have rifles...
3) At least civilian stacking.
4) More ways of directly converting basic resources to others. Now we have an non controllable conversion of :c5science: to :c5gold: , :c5gold: to :c5production: and occasionally :c5faith: to :c5production: or :c5greatperson:. We need a controllable :c5science: to :c5gold: at least.

Do I ask too much?

Please don't bring capitulation. There was nothing more annoying than warring with someone and then having to stop because they capped to someone else. If capitulation is brought back, the person demanding it should be the only one at war with the person the demand is being asked of.

One of the biggest changes in Civ V I sort of like and sometimes hate is the idea of having just one unit per tile. While I feel this change works for the most part(love the strategy of formation) I feel it is also flawed. In Civ V for example, if I want to move soldier from point A to point B at times I will I have to move workers just so I can move them to specific tile. Why not have some sort of passing through option instead of having to move the workers off a tile your soldier needs to pass through? If I want to bring a prophet to Washington why must I have to move the worker or soldier out of the city? Or if I want to bring the SS engine to the capitol I need to first remove the worker or soldier off that tile just to pass through. There should be some exceptions to this sort of rule. Sometimes this idea makes no sense to me. What do you think?

I'd like to see real coalitions/pacts and real actual alliances, between civilizations. Perhaps the new ideaology system will help with this, I don't know. Of course if it does it should be set up to influence diplomacy in earlier times too. People in ancient times still thought about things and stood up for what they believed in. This system should not just affect the later eras in the game.
:goodjob:Yeah I agree. The AI diplomacy has always seemed kind of bland to me but maybe that's because I don't care about diplomacy as much anymore since the elimination of SOD has made warfare and going it alone more fun. I guess getting backstabbed one too many times from a "friendly" civ kind of helped push me in that direction as well. :) It would be nice if the diplomacy actually pulled you into the game more but I guess you can't expect much more than generic diplomatic arrangements. Personally, the "will you be my friend" thing makes me feel like I'm back in elementary school :lol: I know it would probably be a PITA for them to do but I'd love for the civs to come to me with an actual reason. "Hey dude, Bismarck has been harassing the people of xxx (<-city state here) for too long, will you help us teach him a lesson?". You never really know what's been going on behind the scenes between the other civs to bring them to war. It's just, war breaks out for no apparent reason. More info please!
The espionage system needs to have depth added to it. When that is done cyber-warfare could be added in as well. In the meantime they should at least make spies that actually spy. I don't mind if it takes more effort to gather information, but we at least should have the potential to gather useful information about our rivals in many ways. It should not just be about stealing techs.

Yeah, I agree with this one too. "Bismarck is up to something" Gee, ya think? Why don't you tell me WHAT he is up to exactly. Ain't that what I'm paying you for? :lol:

The AI needs work on defending its cities and attacking the units that are more dangerous to those cities. Attacking a damaged melee unit is not a valid choice when the trebs or cannons can blast your walls down. Furthermore make it stop putting imporatnt units in the water to be sacrificed. I think that complaint has been going around since the game came out and it is still not fixed. Now come on, give the AI a bit of common sense. Thanks :)

Yeah, it'd be nice but I'm not holding my breath. I've been hoping for that in a lot of games but nobody seems to have quite gotten there yet. I will say that sometimes the AI does just what they needed to do, but for the most part they are a far cry from even a reasonably good human opponent. The embark thing does drive me nuts though. "Man, he's kicking our butts! Hey, let's get in boats and go hide out in the middle of the lake. What's that sound? OH CRAP! INCOMING!" :lol: Geez, AI, did you really think that I couldn't see your completely defenselee arty floating on the lake out there? Fight like a man and shoot back ya cowards, :lol:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

There is nothing more annoying than spending fifty turns building a world wonder than having it destroyed. Unlike a unit or a building, a world wonder cannot be replaced. That is why it is a wonder.

Probably wouldn't be my preference either but more game options is always nice. That's why they are called options. You can always turn them off. Like city razing, barbarians, etc. To each his own.

One of the biggest changes in Civ V I sort of like and sometimes hate is the idea of having just one unit per tile. While I feel this change works for the most part(love the strategy of formation) I feel it is also flawed. In Civ V for example, if I want to move soldier from point A to point B at times I will I have to move workers just so I can move them to specific tile. Why not have some sort of passing through option instead of having to move the workers off a tile your soldier needs to pass through? If I want to bring a prophet to Washington why must I have to move the worker or soldier out of the city? Or if I want to bring the SS engine to the capitol I need to first remove the worker or soldier off that tile just to pass through. There should be some exceptions to this sort of rule. Sometimes this idea makes no sense to me. What do you think?
Um, workers and military units of the same civ can be in the same tile.

I'd like to see random events, especially those that could impact diplomacy. I just ended up reading about Libyan Arab Airlines Flight 114 and thought it would be interesting if these kind of 'accidents' sometimes happen in the game.

Say for example, if you happen to be friends with a civilization who is at war with another civilization who doesn't like you either and they share borders as well, there's a chance an event happens that an aircraft, flying between your civ and the civ your friends with, carrying passengers was shot down because the plane accidentally ventured into enemy territory due to equipment failure or bad weather. Your response then has diplomatic consequences and for the world congress. Would be a nice flavorful touch of realism me thinks :).

:goodjob: Yep me too. I like the way you think :) The addition of random events would add so much more to the game. Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't be a lot better than what we had straight out of the box with Civ4. It would most likely need a lot of tweaking by modders. It was neat at first but after a while they just got boring because they seemed to be mostly the same all of the time and they weren't implemented in the game in such a way that I felt any true connection to the event. I've always thought it would be cool to get some kind of "newspaper" every turn or every so many turns, especially as you get further into the later eras. "Germany Unveils New Uber Weapon!", "Einstein Proposes Theory of Relativity", etc. What the other civs are doing is just too hush hush for my tastes. You should have a little more warning when somebody is amassing a huge army or upgrading a lot of obsolete units. "French Military Spending on New Equipment Skyrockets".

Diplomacy has always seemed too vague and generic for me to feel immersed in the game. I am always having to make up reasons for doing something. The AI never seems to ever go to war for "real" reasons. I mean, yeah, I suppose there was a time when it really was as simple as, "we just don't like them, they're different than us" but since I like playing in the later ages best, I want something more. I want a game where wars start over competition for scare resources, concern over WMDs, rogue nations, etc. Those things are in the game in a behind the scenes sort of way but it's not really being brought forth in the diplomatic dialogue IMHO.

Always wanted to see Ballistic Missle silos, and Space Rocket start position as improvements (just my 2 cents).

Um, workers and military units of the same civ can be in the same tile.
I agree, it works for the most part but yet I still find myself having to move and relocate workers just so I can let military units pass on by or vice versa. Or let prophets or shuttle pieces pass through. Unless I'm overlooking something or my game has a bug these are issues I've experienced at times. I feel the one unit per tile is a cool idea because it adds strategy formation though with that comes some issues especially when when war is on the horizon. Your routes can really get messy with traffic jams. The original unlimited units per tile formula was never broken so why did they change it? And could the game work if the change were to be reversed in the new expansion? In the end, I really like this idea so I would just like to see some improvements built upon the 1 unit per tile method. Maybe some ways to make it feel less cluttered and traffic jammed and more streamlined or something to that extent.

You shouldn't have to move a worker out of the way for a soldier to pass through. One military and one civ unit can stack.

I agree, it works for the most part but yet I still find myself having to move and relocate workers just so I can let military units pass on by or vice versa. Or let prophets or shuttle pieces pass through. Unless I'm overlooking something or my game has a bug these are issues I've experienced at times.

As others have said, you shouldn't be having any problems with 1 military stacked with 1 civilian. However, keep in mind that you can't have 2 civilians in the same plot either. It sounds like you are trying to move a prophet or spaceship part on a path through a worker, but they don't have enough MPs to get through the worker to the next tile, so they are trying to end their turn on a tile next to the worker. Keep in mind that you always need enough MPs to make the move through the worker occupied plot to the next plot. Terrain matters here. This has been frustrating for me at times when I try to move units along a road using multiple turns but the MPs for the unit I'm moving work out such that they will end up on the same plot as a unit I just moved earlier. The first unit can't move out of the way because they have expended all points. The follow on unit ends up wasting MPs or having to move off the road to use them up, which never gets me any closer to the destination. :mad: Oh well, such is life with 1UPT. If it aggravates you that much, change the global define for 1UPT to something a little higher like 2. I haven't done it yet but I think I will eventually. The only problem is the AI will probably came at you with 2 unit SODs.

As others have said, you shouldn't be having any problems with 1 military stacked with 1 civilian. However, keep in mind that you can't have 2 civilians in the same plot either. It sounds like you are trying to move a prophet or spaceship part on a path through a worker, but they don't have enough MPs to get through the worker to the next tile, so they are trying to end their turn on a tile next to the worker. Keep in mind that you always need enough MPs to make the move through the worker occupied plot to the next plot. Terrain matters here. This has been frustrating for me at times when I try to move units along a road using multiple turns but the MPs for the unit I'm moving work out such that they will end up on the same plot as a unit I just moved earlier. The first unit can't move out of the way because they have expended all points. The follow on unit ends up wasting MPs or having to move off the road to use them up, which never gets me any closer to the destination. :mad: Oh well, such is life with 1UPT. If it aggravates you that much, change the global define for 1UPT to something a little higher like 2. I haven't done it yet but I think I will eventually. The only problem is the AI will probably came at you with 2 unit SODs.
Makes perfect sense now, thanks for explaining this to me.:goodjob: I was skeptical at first about how the 1UPT idea would work in Civ V until my first play through, then I got hooked. Even though it has it's minor annoyances I think the pros outweigh the cons with 1UPT so it's all good. I will admit though I miss the traditional unlimited units per tile style but then that's why I have and still play Civ 4.:)

How about your leaders wardrobe changing with the era? I used to like this added detail in Civ III and bringing back this would be cool. It adds an extra sense of realism rather than leaders being stuck with the same 2000+ year old clothes. It's not a big deal but it's a nice detail which helps with the immersion factor.

:goodjob: Yep me too. I like the way you think :) The addition of random events would add so much more to the game. Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't be a lot better than what we had straight out of the box with Civ4. It would most likely need a lot of tweaking by modders. It was neat at first but after a while they just got boring because they seemed to be mostly the same all of the time and they weren't implemented in the game in such a way that I felt any true connection to the event. I've always thought it would be cool to get some kind of "newspaper" every turn or every so many turns, especially as you get further into the later eras. "Germany Unveils New Uber Weapon!", "Einstein Proposes Theory of Relativity", etc. What the other civs are doing is just too hush hush for my tastes. You should have a little more warning when somebody is amassing a huge army or upgrading a lot of obsolete units. "French Military Spending on New Equipment Skyrockets".

Diplomacy has always seemed too vague and generic for me to feel immersed in the game. I am always having to make up reasons for doing something. The AI never seems to ever go to war for "real" reasons. I mean, yeah, I suppose there was a time when it really was as simple as, "we just don't like them, they're different than us" but since I like playing in the later ages best, I want something more. I want a game where wars start over competition for scare resources, concern over WMDs, rogue nations, etc. Those things are in the game in a behind the scenes sort of way but it's not really being brought forth in the diplomatic dialogue IMHO.

Civ I (or II) had a newspaper style announcement of certain events. The newspaper would also have some revolving funny minor articles like "Lions - Gladiators 4-0".

IIRC, didn't you get something more meaty and useful in Civ4 for discovering that the world is round. In CiV, a message pops up, but I don't think it comes with any reward. Either way, I'd like to see a better reward for proving that the world is round, at least on normal and bigger maps.

IIRC, didn't you get something more meaty and useful in Civ4 for discovering that the world is round. In CiV, a message pops up, but I don't think it comes with any reward. Either way, I'd like to see a better reward for proving that the world is round, at least on normal and bigger maps.

I think you get the Magellan achievement but I wouldn't know for sure since I almost always play on Pangea and rarely build a navy. See here for discussion if you aren't getting the Steam achievement and extra naval move reward.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=381738

Top Bottom