If You Could Add Any Civ...

This thread was supposed to be about what civs you want to add, not about what constitutes a civ and what deserves to be not. I think it is imperative that we create a certain definition of what a civ is. Personally, I think any civs included must have had a lasting legacy and contributed something important that even we in the modern world are still aware of.

GenocideBringer said:
Israel was never a major power. Israel should not be in CIV IV.

I wouldn't say they were a major power militarily, but certainly elements of their culture have passed through European history quite readily.

Simply because they weren't a major power doesn't eliminate their candidacy as a civilization, as shown by previous posters. I'm curious to hear your position.

I would add the Babs or the Summerians, ( at least one of those first civs is IMO a must be in ) then the Mayans and maybe the Khmer.

IrishDragon said:
Ireland should definetly be in it

I'm sorry I just don't see the need for an Ireland Civ especially since they could be Represented by The Celts.
Their lack of Babylon is surpirsing.
How about the Dutch?
And maybe the Bantu, but they could just be fitted in with Zulu I guess
They should have Phoenica, they were in the same area as Isreal so they could be added rather then a Isreal if Isreal is not SuperPower enough. (You can win by Culture too):)

Tekee said:
I'm sorry I just don't see the need for an Ireland Civ especially since they could be Represented by The Celts.
Their lack of Babylon is surpirsing.
How about the Dutch?
And maybe the Bantu, but they could just be fitted in with Zulu I guess
They should have Phoenica, they were in the same area as Isreal so they could be added rather then a Isreal if Isreal is not SuperPower enough. (You can win by Culture too):)

The Bantu weren't very historically significant.

The Dutch only became a nation in the 1500s, and while strong economically, they were strong as such only as compared to the size of their nation. They were an absolute military flop.

The Phoenecians were the ancestors of the Carthaginians, but never reached even close to the splendor or power of the latter. By the time of Alexander's conquests, their power base consisted of Tyre and not much else.

Gam said:
The Bantu weren't very historically significant.

The Dutch only became a nation in the 1500s, and while strong economically, they were strong as such only as compared to the size of their nation. They were an absolute military flop.

The Phoenecians were the ancestors of the Carthaginians, but never reached even close to the splendor or power of the latter. By the time of Alexander's conquests, their power base consisted of Tyre and not much else.

Yup these are sure reasons why they shouldn't be added.:)
*Seriuosly no sarcasm*

Babylonia, lead by Hammurabi and/or Nebuchadnezzar. Unique building would be a Ziggurat. That's all I can think of though....

I just replaced the arabs in my game with Babylon. replaced all the city names, changed Saladin's name to hammurabi. etc.

But yeah, if I could add a Civ, other than Babylon, I'd probably choose... The Souix, because I hated them in civ2.

The Austrians

Leader: Maria Theresa (Charismatic; Expansive or Imperialistic)

Unique Unit: The Hussar. Replaces Cavalry.

Unique Building: State Opera House. Replaces Colloseum, +4 culture and +1 happiness from hit singles.

The "Major Power" test isn't necessary. You just need to show that the Civilization changed the course of history for a huge number of people. Israel would fit. But then, I think the Mayans and Ethiopians should be in there first, and the Portugese and Dutch just as soon.

And so what if anti-semites would have a fit? Let them blow Israel up. It's just a game.

dh_epic said:
And so what if anti-semites would have a fit? Let them blow Israel up. It's just a game.

Yeah, I don't seem to understand why people make allowances for such things.

I've even heard the argument of, "well, if we can have Israel in there and some people might not like it, then why not Hitler too?"

The people who have made this argument ought to be sent back to grammar school, if not punched in the stomach as well. Somehow, they don't understand the difference: that those who do not want the Israelites/Judaeans in this game because they are anti-semitic thus don't like the idea because they are simply racist; while Hitler offends people because he was responsible for the extermination of 12 million and the deaths of tens of millions of others.

Somehow, anti-semitism comes across to many as a legitimate feeling that allowances should be made for. I don't get it.

Gam said:
Yeah, I don't seem to understand why people make allowances for such things.

I've even heard the argument of, "well, if we can have Israel in there and some people might not like it, then why not Hitler too?"

The people who have made this argument ought to be sent back to grammar school, if not punched in the stomach as well. Somehow, they don't understand the difference: that those who do not want the Israelites/Judaeans in this game because they are anti-semitic thus don't like the idea because they are simply racist; while Hitler offends people because he was responsible for the extermination of 12 million and the deaths of tens of millions of others.

Somehow, anti-semitism comes across to many as a legitimate feeling that allowances should be made for. I don't get it.

I agree Israel simply have to be in this game. No country or nation has had and continues to have such a disproportionate influence on the history of civilisation on this planet.

Considering that such legendary characters in world history as Abraham, Joseph, Moses, David, Solomon and of course Jesus Christ were all Jews it's just plainly absurd that they are not in this game.

To anyone who is moronic enough to say that Isreal and the Jews are not an important civilisation I would simply say this. Give me one other civilisation whom you can name more famous and historically important people than the Jews?

In addition to the ones above we have, Freud, Durkheim,Buber, Einstein, Sagan, Chomsky, Spielberg, Struass etc.

There have been well over 100 Jewish Nobel Prize winners.

If you can find me a single book on the history of civilisations that doesn't feature Isreal and the Jews as one of the most influential and important civilisations in history then I will recant everything I have said.

Isreal need to be in this game.

Hitler is a marketing concern. Not only would it offend enough people to generate negative publicity for the game, but it would also prohibit them from ever selling the game in Germany.

Including the Hebrews as an ancient civilization might rub a few people the wrong way -- but it's not illegal in any country, and there wouldn't be some kind of organized boycott. People might complain that they should have picked someone else. That's about it. They get that now.

(Still, Israel would be, like, in the top 40 civs for me. Not the top 30. Why? Because Civilization has never been good at simluating the impact of a homeless-race over centuries of history. The top 30 is for Civs that fit into their narrow paradigm, IMO.)

franks led by Charlemagne.
Byzantines
ottomans
huns

Isn't civilizations about how the world could have been, not how it is now?
Atleast that's what I've heard and that's why I think civ is very interesting game.
And that's why I really love that civ includes incas, scandinavia and such.

Ontopic, I would like to see Australia, since it really has all you can ask. I think :crazyeye:

Sweden
Leader: Gustav II (Organized, Spiritual)
Leader #2: Karl XII (Industrious, Aggressive)
Leader #3: Gustav Vasa (Organized, Expansive)

Unique Unit: Karolin (Not sure on bonus...)

I'm going to add 6 civilizations, probably the amount Firaxis will release in the second expansion.

1-Babylon
2-Israel
3-Ethiopia
4-Sioux
5-Holland
6-Portugal

Sweeden was a major european power for a while but i cant see firaxis having a sweedish civ ahead of Dutch or Portugese.

A British civ should replace the 'english' after all england only became a world power after the union with Scotland creating the British nation. They should defnitely have the dutch, Mayans, Babylon and the Portugese.

Top Bottom