If you could add great works what would they be?

Sorry, yeah, it's music. Bah! I've recognized so many other things from Civ V, I was beginning to think some devs at Firaxis shared similar tastes :lol:

I will NOT replace anything the only reason I adding is so that people dont run out of great works in larger games.

Oh... okay... well I have some more suggestions

Literature
"Nihon Shoki" (Chronicles of Japan) by Prince Toneri
"Man'yoshu" (Collection of Ten Thousand Leaves) by Otomo no Yakamochi
"Oku no Hosomichi" (Narrow Road to the Interior) by Matsuo Basho
"Sunzi Bingfa" (The Art of War) by Sun Tzu
"Jing Hua Yuan" (Flowers in the Mirror) by Li Ruzhen

Paintings
"Las Meninas" (The Maids of Honor) by Diego Velazquez

Music
"Mudan Ting" (The Peony Pavilion) by Tang Xianzu (Beijing Opera! :D )
Il Barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville) by Gioachino Rossini
"Madama Butterfly" by Giacomo Puccini
"The Rite of Spring" by Igor Stravinsky
"Violin Concerto in E minor" by Felix Mendelssohn
"Carmen" by Georges Bizet
"'Morning Mood' from Peer Gynt" by Edvard Grieg (He was removed from the game before release from some reason)
"Prelude in C sharp minor" by Sergei Rachmaninoff
"Kinderszenen" (Scenes from Childhood) by Robert Schumann :)

Quote from Firaxis:

We would really be open to adding additional art to the game. While in production, finding art that was at least 100 years old (after the death of the artist as well in some cases), did not have copyright tie-ups, and had open-source artwork available for us to pull was sometimes very difficult for cultures that didn't necessarily deal with traditional paintings, like Africa, Native Americans, etc. Additionally, there is a good amount of artwork that also had "Artist Unknown" classifications, which would not work very well with the mechanics in-game. We would love it if the community were able to come up with some additional diverse cultural paintings, and would be happy to include them in the fall balance patch if they passed legal muster. :)

I think the key bit people forget is the 100 years thing. To take some earlier examples in the thread; Tolkien, The Beatles, Hemingway, Orwell etc are all out, no matter how good a fir they would be.

Secondly, nationality. From the above list you have; English, English, American, English. Again, nothing wrong with adding more worthy English and American GWs, but some variety would be great.

I must say MeowthLover's suggestions have been pretty good.

Quote from Firaxis:

I think the key bit people forget is the 100 years thing. To take some earlier examples in the thread; Tolkien, The Beatles, Hemingway, Orwell etc are all out, no matter how good a fir they would be.

Secondly, nationality. From the above list you have; English, English, American, English. Again, nothing wrong with adding more worthy English and American GWs, but some variety would be great.

I must say MeowthLover's suggestions have been pretty good.
good to know

Quote from Firaxis:

Yeah... I forgot about how long copyright lasted... at first I was really disappointed to see Demoiselles d'Avignon instead of Guernica for Picasso... but then I realized that Guernica was created in 1937...

I don't know about "The Motherland Calls" but I think some files have already been created for it? It's just not in use I think? Can anyone confirm anything about it? I mean come on, they have a Nazi national wonder.

Firaxis was working on a commercial videogame. This is a non-commercial (as far as I know) mod. There is a world of difference there, and that world is fair use.

More Great Works are needed. In my opinion, it does not really matter where they come from as long as they are actually influential pieces of culture.

Tchaikovsky is already in with his 1812 Overture... I spawned him in game and had him create it.

♥

I have a question, because this seemed extremely odd to me the first time it happened: are we supposed to hear a clip from the piece itself, much like the great artworks are displayed, or is it silent for everyone? I thought maybe, just maybe, I'd corrupted a sound file or something . . . idk. I even re-installed after the first game finished, thinking it was bugged :lol:

Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen. Again, I'm not sure if it's already in or not (I really need to play a culture game!).

Die Walküre is already in. Great stuff, anyhow!

I think Shostakovich (one of my favorites from Russia) should also be in although I'm not sure which of his works to pick.

/Patriotic mode on

Carlos Gardel - Mi Buenos Aires Querido.

A Shame he is not among the Great Musicians... well, at least Arlt and Hernandez are in.

/Patriotic mode off

Heh, I turned my patriotic mode on for Sibelius. I guess I could recommend things like Kalevala (Elias Lönnrot) and The Egyptian (Mika Waltari) but I don't think they're really that influential. Well maybe The Egyptian is, it was made into a movie in the States which doesn't happen too often.

Also from Argentina: Benito Quinquela Martín. I don't think he is as well known as Carlos Gardel but his paintings of the workers and the boats on Buenos Aires Harbor are beautiful.

Douglas Adams; The Restaurant at the End of the Universe;

“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

George R.R. Martin; A Game of Thrones;

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.

I assume a lot of the more contemporary stuff are copyrighted. I'd like Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring or Our Town (the actual piece of his music is used in the game.)

http://youtu.be/h7_ObsZ4XyQ

Top Bottom