If You Could Change One Thing

Her history is kinda sketchy and tied up in the politics of Roman historians. She led a rebellion of British Celtic tribes starting with her tribe, the Iceni. She isn't associated with mainland Gaul at all. From a gender inclusion perspective, she's pretty cool. From a representation of all Celts, she fails quite a bit (the Iceni represent the area around Colchester). Vercingetorix gets all the mainland Gaul. Then again, Boudica might have a better military record than he does.

In the end, I'd say it's a toss up between the two with Brennus being third.

As ignorant as it may be, I'd never heard of Brennus before Warlords, whereas I was more well-versed of Boudica and Vercingetorix's exploits. 'Big V' would definitely get my vote for inclusion, should the opportunity once more arise.

I wouldnt mind seeing the Celts under Boudicea in the game again; I like her over most of the other celtic leader possibilities as she really does sort of embody this rebellious spirit that the Celts were known to possess against all comers, and in this I think she represents a great choice as a leader.

Brennus is from really early Roman history. He sacked Rome in a fairly dramatic style. Afterward, Rome had to militarize to beat Gaul. He might have been the last truly successful Celtic leader, however. Plus, it would be cool if he said Vai Victus if you asked for peace when he was winning (yeah, I realize he'd say it in Gaelic, not Latin, but still).

But he's not as famous or as significant as Vercingetorix.

I wouldnt mind seeing the Celts under Boudicea in the game again; I like her over most of the other celtic leader possibilities as she really does sort of embody this rebellious spirit that the Celts were known to possess against all comers, and in this I think she represents a great choice as a leader.

Good point. I always thought of the Celts as being one of history's underdogs - with Vercingetorix against the Romans, and, well. Maybe you couldn't call William Wallace a Celt, but he was a Scot, and he wore lots of blue paint (if you believe Mel Gibson's historical representation)... Even so. They've always, to me at least, represented a nation who wouldn't back down. I never found them to be any good in Civ4 games, though.

I think of the Scots, Irish, Welsh, and Bretons as a relation to the Celts are successor states, in the same manner that Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Romania (and out side of language explicitly, all of Europe ;)) as successor states to the Romans

The only expansion civs (short of Theodra returning) that could have female leaders would be the Celts and the Spanish. I do like the rebellious aspects of the Celts too. You definitely can see it carried on in Irish traditions today (and Scottish highlanders as well).

No theodora please :ack:

Not necessarily people talking about the game, but talking about how the game is ruined. I imagine they'll be the same people to rush to declare Civ 6 "RUINED" when it comes out.

Haha, don't worry, I don't want her either. BTW, if they added Boudica, my guess is they'd have her speak modern Gaelic (which would be a bit anachronistic, but still passable. Besides, it's at least reasonable to find someone who speaks the language). It would be cool to hear her say "Boudica is anim dom, Pog mathoin" (OK, she probably wouldn't say that last part :p ).

EDIT: I should probably translate Pog mathoin, but, then again, perhaps the mods wouldn't approve ;)

Not necessarily people talking about the game, but talking about how the game is ruined. I imagine they'll be the same people to rush to declare Civ 6 "RUINED" when it comes out.

Not really. If you'll notice, every single 'change' so far was a small thing. Add some more interesting resources, show animations in MP, things like that.

I think we're all pretty damn excited about this game. No reason to be party-poopin'. :)

@frenchy (thats you, LouisXXIV)
:lol:

I like it ;) :D

Haha, don't worry, I don't want her either. BTW, if they added Boudica, my guess is they'd have her speak modern Gaelic (which would be a bit anachronistic, but still passable. Besides, it's at least reasonable to find someone who speaks the language). It would be cool to hear her say "Boudica is anim dom, Pog mathoin" (OK, she probably wouldn't say that last part :p ).

EDIT: I should probably translate Pog mathoin, but, then again, perhaps the mods wouldn't approve ;)

I would ask them to let me play the game now, and then get back to them on that whole "if you could change one thing". Without playing the game, you literally can't speculate on what is missing from the game, without completely grasping at straws. I know that's what we're all doing now (one day from release), but I don't see anything in the game at this moment that needs changing. Just because it was a good feature in CivIV doesn't mean it would work well in the CiV framework :hatsoff:

I would ask them to let me play the game now, and then get back to them on that whole "if you could change one thing".

So you think we need to play first to know if "Extreme Diplomacy Mode" is wanted? Bah.

How about a Civ5 Walkthrough by Sulla?

It's "lacking", and I already miss it. :)

"There won't be a Walkthrough for Civ5 when it comes out, apologies." - http://garath.net/Sullla/

Thanks Sulla for all the help and memories.

I would very much like animated Wonder cinematics back. That, or religion, which I enjoyed spreading.

Top Bottom