If you could choose 3 traits, which ones would you choose?

CELTICEMPIRE

Zulu Conqueror
Occasionally I like to play a modified version of Civ III where each Civ gets three traits instead of two (along with some changes to unit stats).

What would be your ideal trait combo? Mine would be Scientific Agricultural Religious (the Sumerians).

The other Civs in my scenario are:

Mil, Ind, Com: Rome and France [1]
Ag, Ind, Rel: Egypt
Mil, Sci, Com: Greece
Mil, Sci, Rel: Babylon
Mil, Ind, Sci: Germany, China, Persia, Ottomans
Ind, Exp, Sci: Russia [2]
Ind, Exp, Com: America
Mil, Rel, Sea: Japan
Rel, Com, Ag: India
Mil, Rel, Ag: Aztecs
Mil, Exp, Com: Zululand, Mongols, Hittites
Exp, Com, Ag: Iroquois
Exp, Com, Sea: England, Portugal
Exp, Rel, Sea: Spain
Mil, Com, Sea: Scandinavia
Exp, Rel, Ag: Celts [3]
Mil, Exp, Rel: Arabia
Ind, Com, Sea: Carthage
Sci, Com, Sea: Korea
Com, Ag, Sea: Netherlands
Sci, Rel, Sea: Byzantines
Ind, Exp, Ag: Inca
Ind, Sci, Ag: Maya

1: Sometimes France is Ind, Sci, Com
2: Sometimes Russia is Mil, Exp, Sci
3: Sometimes the Celts are Mil, Rel, Ag

1. Agri, Com, Ind.
2. Agri, Com, Sci.
3. Agri, Com, Sea.

Agri and Industrious mix well together. Add in Commercial for the long run and you have a strong combination. Once you reach city size Commercial will start to pay off.

I like the Byzantines - scientific and seafaring. I'd add agricultural to this.
Alternatively, to the Koreans (scientific and commercial) I'd add agricultural.

Really, agricultural is so overwhelmingly strong that it is has to be what I add. For my preferred victory conditions, scientific is needed for the increase in SGL odds. Seafaring and commercial both give alphabet to start, getting me out of despotism quickly.

Ag, Ind, Rel: Egypt
Production up the wazoo, cheap culture and happiness from temples, and you'll never starve?

Those are obvious crutches, but that's one hell of a temptation.

My top 3 wins are Sumeria (Agri, Sci); Greece (Comm, Sci) and Iroquois (Agri, Comm). I'm surprised, come to think of it, that Ind (1/10) hasn't been more prominent.

One thing I could probably do, just for fun, is figure out my average winning score for each of the different characteristics (in addition to the Civs themselves).

On the continents/archipelago maps I play SEA is a strong trait. My playstyle is domination victory or space ship 9/10.
I'd go with AGR, COM, SEA. Add in a UU like the berserker, ManOwar or pikeman that gets you a GA around the medieval times and you're off to the races.

Then you want a modified Dutch civ.

Agricultural+commercial+ science or industry.

Science, religious,commercial perhaps.

Before reading any of the thread, replying to the title: Agricultural, Industrial, and Commercial. They're my favorite traits in general.

Edit: Yay, I have like-minded folks!

Yeah that combo fairly insane I might pick science for builder type games or 20k culture victory.

Hmm...

Agricultural and Industrious synergize with everything except Seafaring, but especially with each other, so the Maya are still overpowered, and now so too are your Egyptians and your Inca (which balances well against their not-great UUs)

Scientific synergizes with Seafaring/Commercial (both of which gain access to Libraries the most quickly and gain extra research money for the Libraries to boost, but I would expect diminishing returns from trying all three, so your Greeks and Byzantines are probably more well-rounded than your Koreans (especially with the Greek and Byzantine UUs being terrifying and the Korean UU... not)

Militaristic and Religious synergize because they can reach Monarchy quickly, and your Aztecs would generally — on a Random map — be able to capitalize on this faster than your Babylonians, Japanese, or Arabs (your Japanese would only have an advantage on a guaranteed Archipelago map, and even though the Arabs’ Expansionist trait isn’t as bad on Pangea as it is on Archipelago, the Aztec UU gives most of the same advantages, almost giving them 4 traits for the price of 3)

Top Bottom