I'm curious about the *.ini syntax " = "

auldian

King
The Civilizationiv.ini synatax has a space around the equal sign (=) for every switch. I have never seen this before. (I'm often just clueless and perhaps this is another case of such bliss on my part.)

Civ4:
EnableAudio = 0

Any other *.ini I've seen in 10 years would be:
EnableAudio=0

I am curious if there is a reason for this. I'm not in the software industry so I don't know what purpose this decision serves. Does it even have an effect? I have not tried but considered removing the spaces in some of the switches to see. It's not that big a deal to me. If some of you know of a reason (I conjecture some compatability issue with a new process) I'd love to read about it here.

Thank you :)

auldian said:
The Civilizationiv.ini synatax has a space around the equal sign (=) for every switch. I have never seen this before. (I'm often just clueless and perhaps this is another case of such bliss on my part.)

Civ4:
EnableAudio = 0

Any other *.ini I've seen in 10 years would be:
EnableAudio=0

I am curious if there is a reason for this. I'm not in the software industry so I don't know what purpose this decision serves. Does it even have an effect? I have not tried but considered removing the spaces in some of the switches to see. It's not that big a deal to me. If some of you know of a reason (I conjecture some compatability issue with a new process) I'd love to read about it here.

Thank you :)

Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. From a software dev perspective, the advantage of "setting=value" is that a single string read gets the whole thing (usually), because there are no spaces. But it's really not hard to make it understand setting=value, setting = value, setting =value, setting = value, and so on. (hopefully, those all turn out different ;) )

Top Bottom