I'm curious: Is there anybody whose games do NOT crash post-1.0.0.38 patch?

After over 300h, I had my first crash yesterday. Huge map, Emperor, 5 AI plus me.
Happen the same turn, over and over again. What ever I did in that turn, didn't change the outcome.
What solved it for me, was going back on a save (8 turns), and had some other outcome in my ingame choices (another bonus from a goody-hut, etc) and then I was passed the "bad" turn.

This tells me that there is some ingame events that must be just "just right" (or wrong), so the game freezes, just after AI turns (or at the last AI event?) At that time, I hadn't met any other AI's (killed one, to close to me)
I wish there could be some sort of log that we could compare and maybe find out what ingame-choice we should avoid, at that special time.

I don't think I've had any crashes since the first patch, and I've been playing quite a lot. I use Windows 7 on a Dell Precision M4800 laptop that's several years old.

I almost always play on a Standard map with games limited to 220 turns, so I have no experience of the later part of the game.

After over 300h, I had my first crash yesterday. Huge map, Emperor, 5 AI plus me.
Happen the same turn, over and over again. What ever I did in that turn, didn't change the outcome.
What solved it for me, was going back on a save (8 turns), and had some other outcome in my ingame choices (another bonus from a goody-hut, etc) and then I was passed the "bad" turn.

This tells me that there is some ingame events that must be just "just right" (or wrong), so the game freezes, just after AI turns (or at the last AI event?) At that time, I hadn't met any other AI's (killed one, to close to me)
There's a lot to recommend this theory. For nearly all of the 1.0.0.38 crashes people have reported, it almost has to do with something that happens during the AIs' part of the turn cycle. (Usually an AI trying to make a Diplo encounter with the player.) As an example, my most current game is post-patch 1.0.0.56. It crashes at about Turn 130 (Emperor, Monstrous, Marathon) when the program is about to announce that an AI civ had completed a Wonder ONE turn before I would have completed it. (Bummer.) The notification pops up and that is followed IMMEDIATELY by a CTD.

Apparently the program doesn't like to deal with conflicting interests between the AIs and the player.

In regards to previous versions of Civ crashing, Civ IV almost never crashes for me. Of course I upgraded to the Warlords update a few weeks after I bought Civ IV (Vanilla). By the time the Beyond the Sword update was released, all three variants of Civ IV had gone though numerous bug fixing cycles. BtS also went through three major revisions that I recall (3.13, 3.17 and 3.19). BtS 3.19 has been exceptionally stable for me. Recently, I had only issues with a massive Score Victory on a Huge Map. Other than that game, BtS has been exceptional stable. On large maps and long games, it will slow down in the end game, but saving the game and restarting it fixes that this fine.

I suspect we will have a period of a few years where Firaxis will fix Civ VI bugs and add new Civ VI content. I'd expect they will solve all CTD bugs in the next few months that they are made aware of. Other bugs may persist for a few years. Esoteric bugs might never get fixed at all, unless Firaxis is pressured into fixing them.

Top Bottom