I'm still alive and so is HR. I've just had to put Civ aside for awhile.

Xyth

History Rewritten
As the title says. Sorry for the silence. I just have too much else going on in my life at the moment. Was working towards being back into it around now, but... yeah. Pandemic. I'm okay, hope everyone is too. Look after yourselves! I will be back, eventually.

- Xyth

Hi Xyth,
Hope all is well with you and that life is going well. I've been a long time player of this mod for several years and absolutely love it (100s of hours played), you have a great understanding of game dynamics and the result is the best Civilization game I've ever played in (in 25+ years of playing!). Thank you for all your efforts and I'll patiently await the next phase of development when life allows you to get back to it, I'm sure I am also speaking for many other lurkers who never usually post on forums!

I suscribe ToxR words!
I've got on this mod the best Civ game experiences.
Best wishes and thanks for all your efforts.

I'm not very into vanilla civ4 but I really enjoy your mod, lots of fun ideas!
Thank you for your work and I hope you can return to it someday :)

This was/is THE mod that changed everything for me. Really showed what Civ could be. And inspired me to make my own mods (for civ vi and other games). Totally awesome, and a great reason to revisit civ iv. (which is far less gameified than civ vi imho)

First time i ever noticed this mod, seems overwhelming to someone as me who comes from BTS 3.19

What would be the "standard" settings to play this mod? Comparing to BTS Standard Pangea maps, Normal Speed no Events and no Huts?

EDIT: Also, for a newcomer, which difficulty level would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
First time i ever noticed this mod, seems overwhelming to someone as me who comes from BTS 3.19

What would be the "standard" settings to play this mod? Comparing to BTS Standard Pangea maps, Normal Speed no Events and no Huts?

EDIT: Also, for a newcomer, which difficulty level would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Hi! All mechanics of this mod (mainly dissent) adapt perfectly to the diverse settings of difficult, speed, and map size. As far as I know, the dissent mechanic will penalize harder to you compared to the AI civs when you get into the hardest difficulty levels.
So don't think there's a specific difficulty level suited to this mod. It's all up to you and your preferences. I would recomend you to play a first game on an easy difficulty level just to test the dissent mechanic.
Personally I enjoy to play on slow speeds (saga or marathon) and World map type (large or standard size).

(Not english native speaker, hope I express enough well)

Hi! All mechanics of this mod (mainly dissent) adapt perfectly to the diverse settings of difficult, speed, and map size. As far as I know, the dissent mechanic will penalize harder to you compared to the AI civs when you get into the hardest difficulty levels.
So don't think there's a specific difficulty level suited to this mod. It's all up to you and your preferences. I would recomend you to play a first game on an easy difficulty level just to test the dissent mechanic.
Personally I enjoy to play on slow speeds (saga or marathon) and World map type (large or standard size).

(Not english native speaker, hope I express enough well)

I'm not a native english speaker as well, i understood you well enough :D
So about the dissent mechanic, does it work like the revolt mechanic in BTS? Or the slave revolt event?

I'm not a native english speaker as well, i understood you well enough :D
So about the dissent mechanic, does it work like the revolt mechanic in BTS? Or the slave revolt event?

Sorry, I'm not able at all to remember how the game worked on BTS... many years I'm exclusively on HR. Now for me is difficult to diferentiate wich mechanics are different to BTS.

The dissent mechanic is a pressure to destabilize your civ (in fact any civ, since AI civs are also affected by the dissent). The dissent pressure gets higher as you expand. Check the dissent advisor on game, there you can see all the parameters can lower or increase the dissent (cities under a foreign religion, etc...).
It works as a prevent to the overexpansion.

Sorry, I'm not able at all to remember how the game worked on BTS... many years I'm exclusively on HR. Now for me is difficult to diferentiate wich mechanics are different to BTS.

The dissent mechanic is a pressure to destabilize your civ (in fact any civ, since AI civs are also affected by the dissent). The dissent pressure gets higher as you expand. Check the dissent advisor on game, there you can see all the parameters can lower or increase the dissent (cities under a foreign religion, etc...).
It works as a prevent to the overexpansion.

I see. So how can we deal with dissent? Having our own religion? Buildings? Culture?

To keep dissent in safe parameters, avoid having unhelathy and unhappy cities, avoid foreign religion in your cities, and provide culture and spionage to your cities... there are also some civics, tenets, and buildings that directly lower the dissent of your cities.
And Golden Ages: during GA your cities won't add dissent, so it's a good chance to lower the dissent level.
Also, each time a city or group of cities do a revolt (due to the dissent accumulated), the rest of your cities will see their dissent reduced (something like the revolt liberated tensions on your empire).

Play and explore this mechanic. And get used to have revolts, as they are hardly unavoidable.

So i see dissent is a serious deal... how good are the Humane leaders dealing with this issue?

a humane leader might be the easiest for understanding the dissent mechanics. also for dealing with the dissent I can give few tips:
early on religion is very important, spread your state religion to your cities and don't allow other religions to spread. if you can't guarantee this don't adopt a religion at all
the 2nd most important thing is culture, when you conquer other civs try to build culture buildings to reduce dissent.
3rd is espionage, most espionage related buildings constabulary etc. reduce dissent by a huge amount.
Overall keep your cities happy and healthy.

if you conquer a populous city with foreign culture, starve it for a while, or limit its growth until you build enough culture.
if you think you can't manage an incoming rebellion, start a golden age. (if you are going for a lot of conquests keep great people for starting golden ages, during golden age your dissent reduces a lot)

Thanks for the insight on dissent, i'll try and keep it in mind. Another thing that is kind of annoying is the starting happiness and health caps: they seem awfully low!

you can deal with unhappiness using monument+cemeteries in most cities, if you also obtain a couple of luxury resources you will be good to go for a long time. If you don't have any luxuries theocracy is a very useful civic, you can beeline it.

unhealthiness is more tricky, try to settle your first cities next to rivers/lakes to get fresh water, don't build mines unless there is a resource or it is the only tile you can run. try to not build mines-cottages-workshops in tiles where they can be shared between multiple cities, because a single tile can give pollution to all nearby cities.
remember mines, tanneries and kilns give pollution/unhealthiness, but are very useful early on so you need to keep a balance between them. early on building a tannery in a city without a river can be disadvantageous. subsistence with camps on forested hills is more than sufficient to have high production

Yes it seems the key to solve happiness/health issues is to not stop expanding, to increase the amount of health and luxury resources available. I'm trying out the mod in Prince level, and have been sucessfull at having several happy/healthy 10+ population cities in the first 200 turns. Agrarianism so far seems very good!

Barbarians can be a real PITA: on some maps your neighbours are close by so you have few barbarians harrassing you. Although i've had maps with lots of empty land, which meant increased barbarian activity, so i had to pump out units after units, which delayed both my research and my expansion. Are there significant differences between BTS 3.19 and this mod, relating to barbarian activity, fogbust and what not?

EDIT: The leader traits to me are kinda hard to interpret it's true value. Humane, Charismatic, Organized and Traditional seem to be very helpful early game. Though i haven't warred yet, mostly just peacefully building and expanding.

Top Bottom