iMac max video resolution

tomlon

Chieftain
Just installed Civ VI and immediately noticed that the max possible video resolution on my iMac only shows as 2560x1440 while on the same iMac the max possible video resolution in Civ V is 3200x1800.
Anyone has same experience? Any ideas?

my specs: iMac 27", retina 5K, late 2015, 4GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM, SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB, macOS Sierra 10.12

Same here with a similar setup. Somewhere today I saw an Aspyr employee say that they spent a lot of time optimizing the program for various configurations. That's the res I run Civ V at, and it seems to work perfectly in VI. I suspect that's the best you're going to get.

Last edited:
Same here. I prefer to play in a window, though, so the higher resolutions didn't concern me.

Problem solved, guys, thank you all for your input!

According to tech support from Aspyr, at this moment Civ VI is not optimized for retina displays yet.
If you want to play with higher resolutions, you must change your iMac desktop resolution, which in case of a 5k retina iMac is exactly 2560x1440.
See the following Apple support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202471
By manually upscaling your iMac desktop resolution before you run the game, you may play in 2880x1620, 3200x1800 or even 5120x2880. I tried them all and the game works perfectly.
The only problem is that the UI would be really tiny which is not good for everyone.
After Civ VI is optimized for retina displays, hopefully the UI will be more usable even in higher resolutions.

thank you! upscaled UI looks taking a lot of space but it's much better than the tiny unupscaled UI at highest resolutions.

at the end I'm playing at 3200x1800 without upscaling UI. graphics look just amazing compared to pixelated 2560x1440!

I have a late 2015 MacBook Pro with 16GM. In the options tab, I cannot select a graphics resolution higher than 1680 x 1050. Anyone know how to get a higher resolution?

Top Bottom