1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac benchmark scores

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by Oleary, Nov 1, 2016.

1. altmin

altmin Chieftain

Just got Civ VI through Humble Bundle via Steam and I expected slow performance, but running graphics benchmark on lowest settings for every thing including 1024x768 windowed interface gets me an average frame rate of 1054.997 and 99th percentile of 2126.134

Obviously unplayable.

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB Ram
    with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M w 512MB vRam
    running HIgh Sierra 10.13.3 on a SSD
    Only other program actively running was the Steam interface.

You think the 2.3 and the low VRam will make THAT much of a difference in the benchmarking?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I think VRAM is the problem here, not the 2.3 GHz. I had a similar MacBook with an Intel HD4000 (1GB VRAM) and it run better iirc.

3. altmin

altmin Chieftain

I have the HD4000 in this laptop as well, but I don't think it is being accessed. It's not an option in display settings in game.

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
    Vendor: Intel
    Device ID: 0x0166
    Revision ID: 0x0009
    Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
    gMux Version: 1.9.23
    Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x8
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0fd5
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3682
    Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
    gMux Version: 1.9.23
    Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I'm still in the market for an iMac, because I end up resorting to Strategic View for my 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

5. Pnothy

Pnothy Chieftain

Yes I think the VRam is not sufficient. But even on my MBP 2014 it was not playable if you ask me. I did play a lot in strategic view mode, which you can also enable by default when starting. You won't get the graphical stuff, but otherwise the game is still the same! Give it a try.

6. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Necroing this thread for the new benchmarks that are specifically GS ones:

I don't remember the exact numbers, but GS turn times where 60ish, which I couldn't believe at first. So I started the old civ VI AI benchmark and forgot what it showed as a result, but it was only a fraction (12? 15? 17? definitely faster than what I posted here last year) and I was somewhat relieved. Similar situation for the Graphics benchmark, although the gap wasn't that large in this case (~80 to ~60 I think). Also, the GS benchmarks took a long while to load (the whole text was read on the loading screen) and even when the game was finally loaded, it took like a minute until it actually started to play. I don't have time to play right now, nor do I intend to do the benchmark again today. But I will in the next days and post the exact numbers + my system specs.

Anyway, that means that for a mac laptop player like me, future era will be the most tedious civ experience ever. I expected that, but still a bit sad that it got confirmed. Not blaming anyone besides myself and Apple though, certainly not Aspyr.

I am interested to hear if the iMac players get a better result. I'm actually quite happy that I chose to go for a 15 inch macbook last time I upgraded, on my old 13 pro, late game turn times would have been intolerable.

7. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

I don't have my old benchmarks written down, but I was disappointed to see they were approximately the same in GS, especially after the mentions of speed improvements in the patch notes.