Immortal Prophets... (and other GPs)

balparmak

Prince
When it comes to bulbing a GP, almost all have an incentive to prevent you from keeping them idle for long. For GMs, GEs, GA/GM/GWs, their bulb power is calculated when they emerge, so they become less useful in later eras. It feels like the the value of GPs/GGs and GAs do not similarly depreciate, which feels off and kinda gamey. Like in my recent campaign, I just parked a GP near a founder I converted, since they don't suffer from attrition, I just re-converted whenever they regained their religion. The GG/GAs also always felt off to me, for a defensive civ you can get one GG in medieval and pretty much be fine throughout the game. How do you guys feel about this?

Last edited:
When it comes to bulbing a GP, almost all have an incentive to prevent you from keeping them idle for long. For GMs, GEs, GA/GM/GWs, their bulb power is calculated when they emerge, so they become less useful in later eras. It feels like the the value of GPs/GGs and GAs do not similarly depreciate, which feels off and kinda gamey. Like in my recent campaign, I just parked a GP near a founder I converted, since they don't suffer from attrition, I just re-converted whenever they regained their religion. The GG/GAs also always felt off to me, like for a defensive, civ you can get one GG in medieval and pretty much be fine throughout the game. How do you guys feel about this?
I find that If I get uppity with GPs the AI is happy to declare on me and snipe them

The GG/GAs also always felt off to me, for a defensive civ you can get one GG in medieval and pretty much be fine throughout the game. How do you guys feel about this?
it's the same with units in this regard, so I see no issue with it
if you want to give GGs exp and level ups and upgrades to match units more closely it'd make things more complex, but the result would still be the same: just need one general for the whole game

I find that If I get uppity with GPs the AI is happy to declare on me and snipe them
They get a huge negative opinion when you spread your religion to any of their cities after all.

You can actively make them neutral with missionaries without penalty though, weirdly enough.

They get a huge negative opinion when you spread your religion to any of their cities after all.

You can actively make them neutral with missionaries without penalty though, weirdly enough.
Sounds interesting, how is this possible?

Sounds interesting, how is this possible?
The best thing to do against your opponents as the celts is to use the early missionaries to neutralize their cities after you found a religion instead of spreading to your own cities.
You get no negative opinion, they lose their pantheon with it's bonus and their chance to found.
Just use the missionary only once on a large city or let it's spread after it's strength has decayed by ending a turn on opponents land.

The best thing to do against your opponents as the celts is to use the early missionaries to neutralize their cities after you found a religion instead of spreading to your own cities.
You get no negative opinion, they lose their pantheon with it's bonus and their chance to found.
Just use the missionary only once on a large city or let it's spread after it's strength has decayed by ending a turn on opponents land.
Another option : use the first spread on your own cities, or CS.
Then aim to "snipe" other cities. You loose no spread that way.

Another option : use the first spread on your own cities, or CS.
Then aim to "snipe" other cities. You loose no spread that way.
I usually do this in my games as i'm mostly an authority warmonger and i don't care about diplo modifiers anyway.

For those who care and want a somewhat peacful game they can neutralize cities without converting them.

How does that neutralize them? (I don't play Celts much). I know Celts don't gain or give pressure, but is there some interaction with the missionary spread that I'm perhaps not understanding correctly?

AI only get mad at you if you actually flip their cities to your religion.
If you happen to convert enough to make their religion no longer dominant, but yours not actually dominant either, then you neutralize them without incurring relation penalty.

Top Bottom