Immortal Shadow Game

I'm on turn 108 and I think this is pretty much the end for me
Mehmed declared after plotting for only two turns
Spoiler :

Vicky has a stack on my borders and she will declare at any moment. She's not at pleased and she has 0 gold...

Spoiler :

Even if I defend myself my position looks pretty grim
So what I want to know is if I should restart or if I should play on

Attachments

• T108.CivBeyondSwordSave
    215.8 KB · Views: 40
Cannot see your pictures in the spoiler. I usually do not continue games where only little hope is left. I would rather turn back to a save where other crucial decisions could be made. Reloading for better combat results is cheating, reloading for better decisions is learning, imo.

You should consider that Mehmed is one of the most unpleasant neighbors. Even if not being IMP, he somewhat manages to expand like the Plague and at the same time to fill those cities with plenty of units. You were scared of Monty but he is usually easier to handle (he can even become your best buddy) and he hates people in other religions right from the start. Vicky can be so so, but the danger comes from the East on that map. Look at his capitol! My game is developing so greatly because I took him out.

Real warmongers like Monty, Shaka, Ghingis have the advantage that you can keep them busy (when you have Alpha) and their hatred is often clearly directed towards someone. Guys like Mehmed or Sury are more dangerous (at least I think so), because they play their cards close to the chest and eventually declare on you. Mehmed is theoretically safe on pleased, but that does not mean a lot. He can change religion, complain about border tensions, make "arrogant" demands... :crazyeye:

But I don't wanna tell you things you might already know. Just wanted to say, better not let him expand so deeply into your territory.

Last edited:
Oops, the site was lagging a bit when I posted that. Thought the images would go through
Started over and played to turn 78, called in my boy REx and expanded as quick as possible
Spoiler :

upload_2020-4-22_13-46-9.png

upload_2020-4-22_13-47-4.png

I'm at 6 cities with 6GPT, maybe should've got writing before going crazy
Mehmed's being super aggressive with his settling as per usual
Trying to spam cottages right now since my commerce is horrible

Attachments

• 2T78.CivBeyondSwordSave
    180.6 KB · Views: 39
I think the horse-jungle spot is a rather big mistake. You are paying a lot for it and it's not doing you much good, as you are so far from horseback riding. Chariots are not very useful. Guess I'll shadow, playing peacefully. Axe-strategies have been shown already.

T78

Spoiler :
It's not the greatest map for Mids due to low food, but I think with stone Mids are are a good investment here if you want to play peacefully. I think the northern area is just too weak so I didn't settle there, same with the jungle area. Just let barbs/AI settle there and take cities later.

Now with rep in, gold from trade and even a buddhism spread the cities are ready to grow. Should have gone for more farms (probably every grassland river in capital), but oh well. Growing on non-river grass cottages isn't awesome, but it's better than not growing.

Civ4ScreenShot0223.JPG

Attachments

• Sury Sampsa BC-0925.CivBeyondSwordSave
    182.1 KB · Views: 45
@Araius I don't think your T78 position is bad, but it is significantly worse than mine. Your stretched empire is expensive and the cities are not great. That is where Mids help: +3 :) is awesome and especially for a CRE leader those stronger scientists are nice. Gifting a city to Mehmed is a good idea. Maybe I should even use my settler for it now rather than settle 6th... Other AIs are not a big issue in my opinion.

@Araius I agree that Writing should come earlier. If you play peaceful, foreign TR are a must-have before you put down 6 cities. Being CRE makes it even more appealing to beeline WRI, sometimes even w/o Pottery (not in this case though, because Sury is also EXP).
Getting Libraries technically for 45:hammers: can open up some nice overflow. When you 2-pop whip a library (you should already have the granary) at 14:hammers:, you can create max. over-flow into for example a next settler

Last edited:
1120 AD
I wonder what this could mean. Joao and his Vassal Victoria dropped to cautious after I went into my own religion (because of Sankore and plenty of Jewish buildings). He is not plotting, I begged a little money before switching religions, but he could start plotting. Atm, he moves his offensive army through my territory, just to take that little barb city in the north? Why does he need so many units? Is that a bad sign? Maybe I should switch back and be safe?

Spoiler units :
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

He will definitely declare on me, he started plotting after I refused to give him a huge amount of gold. It was a wrong and emotional decision to refuse that, I know, and I will have to tolerate the consequences. But, I will have Rifles soon, so what? He won't make a lot of progress and at the same time, I can finish off his vassal, Vicky.

Edit: He is fairly strong, one diplo mistake could have me cost the victory....

Last edited:
Top Bottom