1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal University PacalII of the Maya

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Dirk1302, Sep 5, 2008.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Quick update, up to 1844 AD. Not much detail/pictures this time, don't think much is needed at this point.

Spoiler :
    Prepped a bit for Hannibal by teching through CS and guilds as I said I would. His #'s were a problem with his tech lead (though units were really at parity still) but I eventually ousted him from the island around 1500 AD. He settled a city off somewhere and I couldn't find it. Not wanting to hurt relations (and because I lacked astronomy) I just ripped 3 techs from him and took normal peace. He's not going to DOW me with his 1 island city anyway.

From there, it was time for MASSIVE catchup. I tried teching to MT to trade it but the AI beat me there (oddly, could trade philosophy to MM but NOTHING else to anyone). I went for constitution and was only able to trade it to Mao. Then I went for chemistry/steel, which netted me some catchup and WFYABTA from Mao - who at this point was my only trading partner. Ragnar vassaled to China, and Mao was by far the strongest leader of threat on the map. His religion (confucianism) spread to me so I went with it, spreading it all over. Popped a prophet so shrined taoism which was both AP and the only religion founded on my island (by hannibal). I considered an AP win here but with closed borders it'd be hard.

Anyway, I teched through assembly line and combustion and I think I can win the race to computers and grab the internet. The only problem is that MM is going cultural, but one of his culture cities is coastal :p. It's going to get razed. As of this moment, his 3rd place city is at 34k, and since I'm on epic that's just over halfway. I've got combustion and am going through physics/electricity to industrialism. I have PLENTY of time to put together a naval strike force and just suicide a marine attack into that city to raze it. Mao is friendly to me and has too much on his hands so I might even get help (they were fighting earlier too).

Assuming someone else isn't also secretly going culture, I'm starting to pull away from all but MM/Mao, and I think I can beat Mao to space pretty easily especially if I get internet. A non AP win for me on immortal on the horizon?

Maybe I'll play with barbs on next time ;). Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Actually my settings were immortal/epic no barbs/events. I'm always about 50/50 barbs depending on my mood, but I HATE events. Unlike the rest of you when I modded the speed to epic and ran the scenario I thought I'd checked AGG AI by accident :lol: and removed it...so I was fighting standard AIs in this one.

My advantage came from a warrior choke on hannibal and a block of Joao, followed up by constant warfare from about 800 BC until 1500AD to grab the entire continent. If you have the entire continent and you don't get DOW'd on fast, it's hard to lose...

2. ungy

ungy Deity

up to 1535:
    Spoiler :
    well I decide to go the boring route and take Joao out with the rifle/cannon rush. He foolishly converted to a heathen religion. In retrospect I should have done something more interesting as I don't think I'll finish this. I start the war just after the AP vote and by the next one I don't have to defy.
    The tech screen:

Attached Files:

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

UN victory, 1901 AD

Spoiler :

So when I left off I was basically sucking up to Mao so that I could freely spank Mansa Musa for going after culture, and so that I'd not get killed :p. The DP however, was forced on me when ragnar declared on Mao :(. This also brought me back into war with hannibal, which Mansa Musa was also in already. MM took one of hannibal's 2 island cities, and I razed the other since MM was going to flip it anyway:

No more motherland nonsense at least, so that's not too bad. I realized at this point with a friendly Mao and a culture whoring Mansa, that I had a UN victory coming up. Why? Culture whores love the mass media line, and usually build the UN also. I was #1 in pop, so Mao would vote for me!

This is exactly what occurred. I was actually pumping up marines to take on the very advanced, tech leading mansa (though I was going to get the internet) in case he was going to win culture (djenne is coastal, I'd have just razed it). HOWEVER, I was close to enough pop for me + Mao to win already, so I actually just DoW'd ragnar after winning the UN chair, and took 2 of his 4 city island cities. This gave me just over 61% of the votes between me and China. You need 60.6%. Game over.

I'm sloppy but improving at least.

I'll worry about score once I can start consistently winning at all. Yay for immortal win #2! I'll start the current one in a bit.

4. Skipity

Skipity Chieftain

This was a great map! Really fun having to make sure not to be in war with both AIs at once.

Many of the maps in the series so far have been too easy. "Fake Isolated", where you are on your own island but still make contact early contact with other Civs is the easiest type of map.

This map was fun.

5. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thank you for playing around with the older games, and thank you very much for mentioning when you found one thats really good.
    Have quite a few games going now, so can't try it out, but I'll keep it in mind!