[IMPORTANT] For all Steam Users: Follow these instructions to play WTP without bugs

Been loving playing WTP - thank you!

I came looking for answers and found this post so have changed my set-up as advised.
If I now load a game that was started prior to my updates, will it benefit from these changes or do I need to start over to really benefit from the updated set-up?

Thanks in advance and also for all your work on the mod :)

LD

Hi, there was a change to steam that makes the shortcut listed here annoying. To avoid the pop-up you need to change the shortcut to not be a url link, instead it needs to run steam. This is what I have:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 16810 -mod=\WeThePeople-3.0.1

Hi guys,

today we noticed again, that some players have not yet heard about the issues in latest Steam version of Civ4Col.
(It is common knowledge in the modding scene but we understand that new players might not know that.)

To explain:

In the latest Steam version (released years ago) GameSpy was removed for Multiplayer.
They also changed something considering mods. - We have no idea why since 2K / Firaxis never answered to that.

To summarize it:

We the People Mod - especially next release version - WILL FOR SURE BE BUGGED if you use that latest Steam version.
Especially in Multiplayer - and even more so with Mods - that latest Steam version causes issues.

In previous releases those bugs with that Steam version may have been minor or rare. (Unless you played MP games.)
Due to the fundamental changes in new release those bugs will be major and certain. (Also in Single Player.)

-----------

In other words:

If you want to play We the People Mod withoug bugs follow the instructions below.
If you want to play Civ4Col Multiplayer games without bugs follow the instructions below.
Revert your Steam installation of Civ4Col to "Original Release version" - which is easily possible.

Simple solution:

Go to your Steam client, and switch back to "Original Release Version" - even if Steam says it is "unsupported".
(Simply ignore that "unsupported", it has absolutely no implication. It is in fact the best version available on Steam.)
View attachment 617101

-----------

If you want to help us prevent bugs, please tell everybody you know playing Civ4Col Steam version. :thumbsup:

Best regards
WTP team

-----------

@Birdjaguar
Can you please make this thread sticky?
This has really caused us many issues and we would like to prevent this from now on.
Thanks in advance.
Hi, I have downloaded WeThePeople-4.0.2.zip as I am brand new to WTP. I am looking forward to trying it out. I have the Steam version of Civ 4: Col and I have followed the instructions above to roll it back to the original version.
I have placed the zip file here: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Civilization IV Colonization\Mods and not in the "my games" folder.
When I try to run the setup.bat file I get this error:

ERROR: Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll is missing
If you are using a release (downloaded a zip file), then you likely ended up with the wrong zip file.

It certainly may be user error on my part. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
maybe my question will seem stupid, but did you unzip the archive?
Hi Mr ZorG, thanks for the quick reply. I tried both unzipping it first, and later deleting those files and then running the .bat file from inside the zip (thinking that maybe the setup.bat would unzip to the right location).

I also copied the two .dll files into the same folder as the Civilization.exe file manually. When I launch Colonization, it takes me to the vanilla game.

I re unzipped the archive, but instead of unzipping it into the Mod folder, I unzipped it into the folder it offered inside the Mod folder.
So it looked like this: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Civilization IV Colonization\Mods\WeThePeople-4.0.2
When I ran the setup.bat file from inside that new folder, the set up ran fine telling me it copied the two .dll files succesfully. That seems like I am making progress...

But, when I launch the game I still get the vanilla version. Sorry to be so dense :(
If you can point me the right direction to help with what I am missing, I would sure appreciate it.

Did you go to options and load the mod? Select Advanced and then load the mod.

Don't worry when it goes to desktop - it will take a few minutes to load.

Last edited:
Did you go to options and load the mod?
Yes this is it. In the main menu, go into "advanced"->"load a mod" and then select the mod. Starting with 4.0.2 Colonization will remember your choice and will start the mod when starting Colonization. No more vanilla unless you actively try to get it back. Strictly speaking, it's a WTP feature so it won't remember other mods, only WTP.

Yes this is it. In the main menu, go into "advanced"->"load a mod" and then select the mod. Starting with 4.0.2 Colonization will remember your choice and will start the mod when starting Colonization. No more vanilla unless you actively try to get it back. Strictly speaking, it's a WTP feature so it won't remember other mods, only WTP.
Thanks, that did the trick. I appreciate the help! Thanks to everyone!

I do get an error, something like "you have chosen an unusable voice capture device. Voice capture will be unavailable." And, I literally have to click ok 3 times to get it to go away. Any tips on how I fix that? I don't stream, so I don't need any voice capture options (that I know of, lol).

When I go into Advanced and choose the Audio tab, the Enable voice chatting box is not selected. In the pull down, there are no options for me to choose, it is blank.

I do get an error, something like "you have chosen an unusable voice capture device. Voice capture will be unavailable."
That's a colonization problem, which has nothing to do with the mod. You can try to open My Documents/My Games Civilization IV Colonization/CivilizationIV.ini. In here there is a setting called
Code:
; Enable voice over IP capture and playback
EnableVoice = 0
Make sure that one is set to 0 and the error might go away. Other than that I don't quite know how to deal with it. I had it years ago, but I can't remember precisely how I got rid of it.

I was about to suggest that. When you install it definitely defaults to:

Enable voice over IP capture and playback
EnableVoice = 1. (Setting it to 0 fixes it)

It is not unique to colonization. It happens in civ iv as well.

That's a colonization problem, which has nothing to do with the mod. You can try to open My Documents/My Games Civilization IV Colonization/CivilizationIV.ini. In here there is a setting called
Code:
; Enable voice over IP capture and playback
EnableVoice = 0
Make sure that one is set to 0 and the error might go away. Other than that I don't quite know how to deal with it. I had it years ago, but I can't remember precisely how I got rid of it.
That fixed work, thanks! I did not receive that error with the updated Steam version of the vanilla game. But, I did notice it first when I rolled back the Steam version, even before installing the mod. Either way, thanks again!

the proposed method is inconvenient in that each time a new release is published, the player will either have to rename the folder (and he may get confused which release he uses, and this is sometimes important) or start Vanilla first.

in Discord, I wrote that in the Russian-language readme I wrote the optimal (in my opinion) instructions for installing the mod, which is suitable for Steam and GOG versions and for those who have a CD. did you read it?

I have active games in WTP 3, how can I setup installation of WTP 4 so that both are available for use?
I am running this in Steam.

I have active games in WTP 3, how can I setup installation of WTP 4 so that both are available for use?
I am running this in Steam.
Civilization 4 can easily have multiple mods installed. Colonization uses the same engine, hence it has the ability to handle multiple mods with the limitation that only one can be loaded at once. The game doesn't care if two mods are actually two versions of the same mod or two entirely different mods.

In other words have both in Mods using different folder names, like WTP3 and WTP4. Savegames will be tied to the foldername so renaming something with existing savegames isn't recommended.

Go to your Steam client, and switch back to "Original Release Version" - even if Steam says it is "unsupported".
(Simply ignore that "unsupported", it has absolutely no implication. It is in fact the best version available on Steam.)
View attachment 617101

Hi everyone :)
I change CIV4 to unsupprted Version but still getting this xml errors :cry:
After play tausends of hours i get the first error since years and normally i find solutions by myself.
Any useful hints?

/Edit says:
I try to play the mod WTP 4.0.2

/Edit
This could be my problem: you didn't run setup.bat to install the two dll files into the game folder.

/Edit
Done.
Solution: RTFM :lol:
"install instructions.txt" after unzip

1693119952548.png

Have a nice day ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom