IMPORTANT: Support page & New Fix for Radeon Cards

After running the "fix" Civ4 won't run. It disappears after/while loading the "components at the very beginning. So much for that "fix". I have an ATI Radeon 9800pro with Omega drivers (latest) and I use WinXP sp2.

CB

Game works for me now after using the artpak fix. Although it did crash to the desktop after about 4 hrs or so of play . I restarted the game and it ran fine again. I hope the crashing wont continue, but once in 4hrs doesnt suprise me at this point.

Windows XP Pro
Pentium 4 550 (3.4ghtz)
1024MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9550 256MB with newest catalyst drivers.

I have a ATI all in wonder x800xt. I installed however when I try to launch I get an error D3DX_26.DLL was not found. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall ?

Has anybody experienced severe slowdown after installing the latest ATI driver?

God... I shouldnt have updated my drivers <sighs> I have a huge game with 18 civs, most of the map revealed, and christianity spread, so I can see alot... so it takes a long time to load up. Before I installed the new ATI drivers, it ran pretty fine, about 2 minutes to load the saved game, and turns went by smoothly. Now... it takes about 10 minutes to load the same saved game(nothing changed), and the turns sometimes clog up forever and ever, or at least as long as my patience will last.

Found a solution for the black video! I have a Mobility Radeon 7500 card. I downloaded the omega driver: http://www.omegadrivers.net/ and set the AGP setting to off under the SmartGart tab. I found this fix on the Apolyton board. Here's a picture of my problem before the fix:

Man, oh, man...

I really feel dumb...

Can someone explain in layman's terms what the devil all of these things I am installing on my computer?

DLLs, Diect3D, etc.

I have so many questions...

What do these things do?

Are they for any configuration? XP? is it ok for Win2000? Win98?

Could I be harming my computer? Is there a way to undo some of these changes in case something goes bad?

Finally worked for my copy as well.
Now, I am just in the first turn of the game and will test, if there are any other display problems (currently everything is just fine).

Specs:
P4, 2.6 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
WinXP Home SP2
ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis

EDIT: forgot one thing:
The Unpack.zip (mentioned on the first page of this thread) was no longer available from 2kGames ????)
Had to load it from the mirror here - thanks to Thunderfall)

After the fix "fixed" me I uninstalled Civ4 and reinstalled it and the game runs fine. So much for the fix I guess (at least in my case).

CB

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

The "Fix" worked great for me and the game looks and sounds unbelievably FANTASTIC -- reminds me of Sims2 the 3D look/movement except far more fluid.

I have a Mobility Radeon 9800 and am using the latest Omega drivers (the 75a ones).

Some people may have had the same problems I did getting the fix to work. I changed my DirectX settings to see if I could work around the rendering issue. I then did the fix and still got the rendering message. Went back in and turned on all those DirectX settings I turned off -- VOILA! A beautifully running, stunningly gorgeous game was fully working in front of me!

Hats off to all for an amazing game! :goodjob:

Raziaar said:
Has anybody experienced severe slowdown after installing the latest ATI driver?

God... I shouldnt have updated my drivers <sighs> I have a huge game with 18 civs, most of the map revealed, and christianity spread, so I can see alot... so it takes a long time to load up. Before I installed the new ATI drivers, it ran pretty fine, about 2 minutes to load the saved game, and turns went by smoothly. Now... it takes about 10 minutes to load the same saved game(nothing changed), and the turns sometimes clog up forever and ever, or at least as long as my patience will last.

Try to uninstall your video card drivers and software, and re-install. Worked for me.

Curious142 said:
After running the "fix" Civ4 won't run. It disappears after/while loading the "components at the very beginning. So much for that "fix". I have an ATI Radeon 9800pro with Omega drivers (latest) and I use WinXP sp2.

CB

Don't give up, I have a 9800Pro as well and it runs fine (XP SP2, I didn't do anything special -- drivers from ATI website a couple of months ago when I got the card, that's all), so there must be some driver/DirectX combination that works for you too!

any one else have this problem after doing all the steps on the support page? any one get around it and got the game to work? someone mentioned swapping video cards and i've tried that and it doesnt work.

so if anyone has gotten the game to work after it quits loading could you post what you did step by step to get it to work. PLEASE...

I have a radeon 9550 256mb card. I think i have pretty good computer savvy but maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Anyone know if tech support would talk me through the steps?

dondada30 said:
any one else have this problem after doing all the steps on the support page? any one get around it and got the game to work? someone mentioned swapping video cards and i've tried that and it doesnt work.

so if anyone has gotten the game to work after it quits loading could you post what you did step by step to get it to work. PLEASE...

I have a radeon 9550 256mb card. I think i have pretty good computer savvy but maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Anyone know if tech support would talk me through the steps?

same here ! followed the steps as shown in the civ4 website support page, it does not work. same fu**ing message. if i unpack the file from assets the game quits to desktop when loading and game over. btw - radeon 9550.

thanks.

I tried the 'fix' on the 2K support page....nothing
The other fix only runs on XP.... I got Windows 2000

I'm currently running an ATI RADEON 9550 256MB w/ the current drivers (tried both the stand alone driver and the Catalyst Control Center package).

I'm currently running out of patience.

Last night I tried every possible installation combo, short of re-format and re-install Windows (not gonna happen, BTW).

This sucks. I'd like to play my game now.

o_owd said:
same here ! followed the steps as shown in the civ4 website support page, it does not work. same fu**ing message. if i unpack the file from assets the game quits to desktop when loading and game over. btw - radeon 9550.

thanks.

I dont know if this helps, but I was having the same problem after I used the fix I ended up uninstalling CIV4 and then reinstalling it, and re-applying the fix. Dont know what happened, but the game works now. I only started the tutorial and did that for about 15 minutes, but this weekend, i should get a little more into it.

Top Bottom